Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands #1)
This topic is about Rebel of the Sands
Previous BOMs - Authors; E - H > Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton (Young Adult BOM) Starts June 12, 2016

Comments (showing 1-50 of 87) (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments
This topic is to discuss Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton. Be prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis
She’s more gunpowder than girl—and the fate of the desert lies in her hands.

Mortals rule the desert nation of Miraji, but mystical beasts still roam the wild and barren wastes, and rumor has it that somewhere, djinni still practice their magic. But there's nothing mystical or magical about Dustwalk, the dead-end town that Amani can't wait to escape from.

Destined to wind up "wed or dead," Amani’s counting on her sharpshooting skills to get her out of Dustwalk. When she meets Jin, a mysterious and devastatingly handsome foreigner, in a shooting contest, she figures he’s the perfect escape route. But in all her years spent dreaming of leaving home, she never imagined she'd gallop away on a mythical horse, fleeing the murderous Sultan's army, with a fugitive who's wanted for treason. And she'd never have predicted she'd fall in love with him...or that he'd help her unlock the powerful truth of who she really is.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited May 14, 2016 11:37AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited Jun 15, 2016 10:53PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPQDs

12 June 1-4 1-70 Imke
13 June 5-10 71-141 Nikk
14 June 11-15 142-209 Logan
***BREAK DAY***
16 June 16-21 210-289 Alison
17 June 22-end 290-358(end) Melissa

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited May 14, 2016 11:37AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

Imke (immie75) | 1411 comments I'm in and volunteer to write discussion questions.

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (SapphiredDragon) | 858 comments I would like to volunteer for discussion questions please :-)

Melissa | 1884 comments In for DQs

Logan  (loganturner) | 1417 comments I'm in! And I volunteer for DQs.

message 9: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (A1ison74) | 2261 comments Found this at the library today so I'm in for the discussion. Will do DQs if you're short on volunteers :)

message 10: by Angie ☯ (new)

Angie ☯ | 510 comments I am planning to join.

Tally (tallyrrn) | 92 comments Planning to join

Emily (EmilytheBookNerd) | 1388 comments I'm in and volunteer for DQs, if I'm needed.

Gillian Murrell | 497 comments Planing to join.

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 11910 comments I picked up the book from the library. What a pretty cover! The image doesn't do it justice really

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (SapphiredDragon) | 858 comments I bought myself an e-copy of this but i am so tempted to buy a print copy also just for the pretty cover :-P

message 16: by Kay Kay (new) - added it

Kay Kay | 1790 comments I will read this one and sign up for questions. I am trying to get caught up before this one starts!

message 17: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 676 comments I just picked my copy up from the library yesterday. I'm looking forward to the discussion.

message 18: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments Polls for the July BOMs are now available for voting :)

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/3...

Melissa | 1884 comments If I could do DQs after the break that would be great. I'm going away this weekend and I don't know how much reading I'll get done :)

Jenny Bravo (MamaOBookLife) Will be joining in this BOM.
I bought the book over a month ago and haven't cracked it open. The cover alone got me hooked. :D

Xeyra | 13 comments I'd like to join this BOM. I've never joined one in this group so I'm not quite sure what the proceedings are, but I'll check in often and read the number of pages daily in the breakdown and see how it goes! Been curious about this book and the different reviews it's been having so I like the excuse to pick it up from all the stuff in my TBR.

message 22: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare (wispa694) Would like to join this BOM. I got the book when it was released but haven't read it yet! Excited to get stuck in.

message 23: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments Thanks to our DQ volunteers. We've assigned days to the breakdown above. Please yell out if a day doesn't work for you.

Logan  (loganturner) | 1417 comments Looks great!

message 25: by Alison (last edited Jun 11, 2016 08:36AM) (new) - added it

Alison (A1ison74) | 2261 comments 16th might be difficult for me as I'm out and about. I could post questions late on the 15th if that would work. Otherwise might need a swap.

message 26: by Kay Kay (new) - added it

Kay Kay | 1790 comments Sometimes they let us use a BOM for a challenge even if it starts before the start date. Will we be able to use this book for Wobble?

message 27: by Kay Kay (new) - added it

Kay Kay | 1790 comments Oh, I see it ends on our start date so probably not, huh?

message 28: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 676 comments I've started reading and it has been a quick and engaging read. It was also really hard to stop at the end of chapter 4. I may go ahead and read on a bit as a result.

message 29: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (A1ison74) | 2261 comments I just started trying to read it while making dinner. Big mistake. I now have a load of veg burnt to the saucepan :)

message 30: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1411 comments Discussion Questions 12 June, Chapters 1-4

1. What made you decide to read this book, besides it being book of the month?
2. What do you make of Amina? Do you like her? She seems to be a strong character.
3. The town of Dustwalk doesn’t sound like a very nice place to live. What do you think of this town and its inhabitants? I also wondered why the author didn’t give it a Middle Eastern name like the characters and some of the other towns.
4. Can Amani trust Jin “the Foreigner”? Is it smart of her to go away with him? I wonder who he is and I have my suspicions as to why he is called a foreigner, do you have any suspicions about him?
5. Do you like the world the author has built? I’m still a little confused about what has happened and is happening.

message 31: by Xeyra (last edited Jun 13, 2016 02:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Xeyra | 13 comments Discussion Questions: Day 1 - 12 June, Chapters 1-4

The concept and setting looked cool and I've seen some mixed thoughts on it, which is always a good way for me to pay attention to a book. Universal hate or love is boring!

2. What do you make of Amina? Do you like her? She seems to be a strong character.

My first impression of her is very positive. She presents herself as determined, even through her fears, which reveals courage to get things done. And it's not difficult to identify with her need to leave no matter what when she lives a life where she's treated (and considered) as something less.

3. The town of Dustwalk doesn’t sound like a very nice place to live. What do you think of this town and its inhabitants? I also wondered why the author didn’t give it a Middle Eastern name like the characters and some of the other towns.

It's interesting that there seems to be a mix of Middle Eastern and Western feel to this town. The first chapter gave me the idea this was a Western cowboy like shooting competition, but it then developed into a more complex mix of the two cultures. It's a more interesting setting than many I've seen lately and I'm looking forward to learning more about it. We don't really get to see much of its inhabitants on these first chapters except a bit of Amani's family life, which, considering the amount of children her uncle and aunt have, it's no wonder they don't take well to an extra mouth to feed.

4. Can Amani trust Jin “the Foreigner”? Is it smart of her to go away with him? I wonder who he is and I have my suspicions as to why he is called a foreigner, do you have any suspicions about him?

Well, obviously it's not smart but when have any YA protagonists been smart when it comes to boys? :D But mostly, I think Amani is so desperate to leave her town she'll take whatever help she can get to do so. As for the foreigner, well, we don't know much about him at this point, except he's not from around there, so we're as suspicious of him as anyone. We shall see.

5. Do you like the world the author has built? I’m still a little confused about what has happened and is happening.

I've read past the first four chapters so I'm enjoying it, especially the more fable like elements of its history, but in the first four chapters all we have is a few impressions and it's already more original and well thought out than some of the YA literature I've read recently.

Talia Colley (MissTalia) | 693 comments Discussion Questions 12 June, Chapters 1-4

I've never heard of this book before, so I'm reading it solely because it's the book of the month.

I like Amina. She's a skilled shooter and wants to get out into the world and take care of herself. She seems smart, good-hearted, and funny.

Yes, that town name was...Interesting. It had me confused a little at first -- Is this a western or an Arabian Nights story. Seems like it's a little bit of both. So far I don't like anyone in this town! Well except for Amina and Jin. The culture seems oppressive towards women.

Jin seems kinder than Amina's uncle, so I would definitely leave town with him. And he's a good shot, so they can watch each other's backs. I assumed he just looks very different from the native peoples, so that's why they call Jin a foreigner. No guess yet on who he really is.

After just having finished Outlander, I don't want to read another book about a culture where the men treat women poorly as a norm, but I am interested in finding out what life will be like in the big city.

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (SapphiredDragon) | 858 comments Day 1 June 12, 2016

A number of people I know have read and enjoyed it and it has such a pretty cover

I like Amina so far. She is not the type to accept the life laid out for her and seems willing to fight for what she wants. However she also seems the type to act first and think later and that could get her into trouble.

I feel like so far this place is kid of a cross between a desert type setting and an old western. Dustwalk has a very western feel to it despite the middle eastern names of the people in it

Right now I wold probably say she can trust the foreigner more than her own family but I would also be wary of him as we don't know anything about him and I have a feeling beng around him could be dangerous for amani

Its an interesting world I will give it that. I wouldn't normally say it is my cup of tea but the first few chapters were easy to read and i actually realised I had gone one chapter too far before stopping for this section so i am interested to see where it goes.

message 34: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 11910 comments Alison wrote: "16th might be difficult for me as I'm out and about. I could post questions late on the 15th if that would work. Otherwise might need a swap."

Late on the 15th is fine, no problems. With all the time zones people are on it is never really 24 hours between DQs anyhow ;)

message 35: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (A1ison74) | 2261 comments Fab. I should probably start actually reading the book ;)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 131 comments Discussion Questions 12 June, Chapters 1-4

This book was on a list of one of the best books to read outside this summer :) The story also sounded very different from a lot of other YA sci-fi/fantasy books.

I like her very much so far. She is very strong-willed and does not let anyone tell her what to do or who to be. She does not accept her fate as being another wife to her controlling, abusive uncle. She knows she can have a better life and will stop at nothing to find that better life.

Dustwalk seems like a town where tradition is ingrained in the inhabitants. They do not waiver from their traditional roles as men and women under the reign of the Sultan. I would feel like Amani: I would need to escape as quickly as possible. Since the story combines Middle Eastern and westerns, I guess the author decided to give the town a western town name but use the myths of Middle Eastern culture.

I think if she has to choose between marrying her uncle and staying in Dustwalk or following Jin our of town, I do not blame her for going with Jin. As long as she doesn't completely give herself over to Jin and remains leery of him, then I think she can handle herself.

I really like the world so far. It is very interesting and yet there are plenty more avenues we still have to explore.

message 37: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 676 comments 1. I'm reading the book because it was chosen, but I had seen it and thought about reading it before.

2. I like Amina. She seems to be strong and caught in a very bad situation. However, I also think she's rather naive. I'm not sure she realizes how inexperienced she is or how at risk she'd be

3. I agree with everyone else that the weird mix of Western and Middle Eastern is confusing. From what I can tell, she lives in a Middle Eastern type of country that has been conquered by a Roman type of country. I'm not sure at this point if the supernatural beings are real or just mythological/superstition.

4. As for Jin, it sounds like his mother was Chinese (or the equivalent) and that is why his eyes are different. Whether he can be trusted, well, I doubt he'll assault her, but he clearly has his own plans. My suspicion (from having read too many of these types of books) is that he's the missing prince.

5. I agree that the world doesn't seem very clear at this point. However, I'm willing to go along with it so long as it's internally consistent. There's a lot that is just referred to but not explained. I'm hoping they are explained as it's more important to understand the context.

Overall, I'm finding the book a very quick and fun read. Even when the action slows down, the storytelling doesn't.

message 38: by Plethora (last edited Jun 12, 2016 11:00PM) (new) - added it

Plethora (Bookworm_R) | 1564 comments Discussion Questions 12 June, Chapters 1-4

Well, it has a horse on the cover, so I can use it for the mini-challenge for the land teams while we wait for wobble.

Well she's head-strong, but that can be dangerous.

Nice or not doesn't seem to be the right question. To me it is a town depressed economically and is a product of their struggles. The name was probably chosen to reinforce the sandy surroundings.

She didn't have much choice but to trust him in the beginning. She put herself in a dangerous situation. At this point, she really sees no option, staying won't be pleasant so for her if she dies leaving it is a better life to being made her uncle wife.

Quick and easy read, can't say I'm drawn in at this point. I started this book with some hesitation, fearing the female heroine would drive me crazy. The female heroine saving the world has become over-done lately and hasn't always brought anything new to the table for me. So for me, the jury is still out.

Xeyra | 13 comments I have a question: What happens if you've sort of... maybe... accidentally went on to finish the book already? My aim was to read only the chapters in each of the days mentioned on the schedule but my self-control was very bad and the book was gripping enough to make me want to continue so I may have finished it already? Does that disqualify me from this read-along/discussion or may I still drop by to give my thoughts on the questions asked?

message 40: by Imke (last edited Jun 13, 2016 03:40AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1411 comments Xeyra wrote: "I have a question: What happens if you've sort of... maybe... accidentally went on to finish the book already? My aim was to read only the chapters in each of the days mentioned on the schedule but..."

That's ok you can still answer questions but make use of spoiler tags if you mention something that happens further along in the book. So if you're answering questions about chapters 5-10 don't mention something that happens in chapter 12 or put it behind spoiler tags.

Stacey (boydsmom) | 720 comments Discussion Questions 12 June, Chapters 1-4

Mostly it was because it was a BOM, but the description sounded interesting, and it works for a bunch of my challenges. :)

2. What do you make of Amina? Do you like her? She seems to be a strong character. I like some sass and sarcasm in my heroines so I'm enjoying her. I also like that she has a skill that can protect her that she worked hard on--it didn't just magically appear suddenly at the beginning of the book.

3. The town of Dustwalk doesn’t sound like a very nice place to live. What do you think of this town and its inhabitants? I also wondered why the author didn’t give it a Middle Eastern name like the characters and some of the other towns. The name is strange, but I got a firm Middle Eastern vibe from everything else, so I'm just going with it for now. Maybe it will be explained along with all the magic hints in the story.

4. Can Amani trust Jin “the Foreigner”? Is it smart of her to go away with him? I wonder who he is and I have my suspicions as to why he is called a foreigner, do you have any suspicions about him? I think trust might not be a good idea, but I think they both are aware that they can get farther working together than alone, and that they can use each other to their advantage-- at least for a while.

5. Do you like the world the author has built? I’m stilgl a little confused about what has happened and is happening. It's interesting, but still very confusing still to me. The First Beings and djinn, and other random magical beings in what appears to be an almost dystopian setting is throwing me off a bit.

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (SapphiredDragon) | 858 comments Discussion Questions 13 June, Chapters 5-10

6. The Buraqi is our first view of actual magic in this world and whilst rare it is still considered reasonably commonplace enough that there is a procedure of what to do in this scenario. What do you think think of this practise? Both the catching and the selling parts? Was it particularly smart of Amani to attempt to catch and escape with the Baraqi in full view of the town?

7. Fazim threatens to tell the soldiers Amani is the blue eyed bandit if she doesn't marry him. Tamid wants to marry her to protect her and then is shot in the leg when the soldiers question Amani about Jin. Amani then leaves him bleeding in the dust to escape with Jin on the Buraqi. What do you think of Amani and the decisions she makes in this section?

8. Jin reveals he was there is dustwalk to blow up the factory to stop weapons being made for the Gallen. The factory would also have bee the main source of jobs for the people of dustwalk and the surrounding area. Does this change your opinion of Jin. Is there more to his story than meets the eye do you think?

9. What do you think these first beings are? In Miraji, they are things like the Buraqi but in other places they are causing earthquakes and floods to stop factories being built?

10. I was completely surprised when Shira turned up on the train but then when we learn there is only one train a month to Izman, it didn't seem as surprising or that the soldiers would follow given what Jin has done. However does it surprise you that one of Amani's own family would betray her in such a way? Should Amani have been less surprised at being followed?

11. Jin visibly relaxes when Amani tells him the compass is broken. Do you think there might be some other, more magical properties attached to it?

12. There is a lot of action in this section especially of the classic western variety chases through a train and subsequent train jump, escape on horseback and we have started to learn that there is a lot more going on outside of dustwalk than we have previously been privy to. The plan he outlines to get Amani to Izman seems straight forward enough. Do you think this is where he is actually going to lead her. What do think is going to happen next?

message 43: by Xeyra (last edited Jun 13, 2016 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Xeyra | 13 comments Discussion Questions 13: Day 2 - 13 June, Chapters 5-10

Note: As I said above, I have finished the book already but I'm going to be careful about spoilers for anything further than the chapters mentioned, so my intention is to reply to the questions with what I remember thinking while I was reading those chapters, without mentioning any of the knowledge I might have of further chapter events.

6. The Buraqi is our first view of actual magic in this world and whilst rare it is still considered reasonably commonplace enough that there is a procedure of what to do in this scenario. What do you think think of this practise? Both the catching and the selling parts? Was it particularly smart of Amani to attempt to catch and escape with the Baraqi in full view of the town?
I found the appearance of the Buraqi and the description of its shifting form to be really great, as well as the lore behind why only women were able to tame them and their vulnerability to iron. I just found the process itself somewhat of a jumbled mess, as described in the book, especially with how easy it was for Amani to be the one to do it when there were apparently other women trying to do the same. And yet, only her cousin Shira seemed to be any kind of competition on this -- it didn't seem like Amani was fighting for the Buraqi taming with anyone else but her cousin.

7. Fazim threatens to tell the soldiers Amani is the blue eyed bandit if she doesn't marry him. Tamid wants to marry her to protect her and then is shot in the leg when the soldiers question Amani about Jin. Amani then leaves him bleeding in the dust to escape with Jin on the Buraqi. What do you think of Amani and the decisions she makes in this section?
It's really hard to pretend we'd make more noble or selfless decisions were we in Amani's shoes in the situation she found herself in. Despite all that may happen or happened, Amani had to make a decision under pressure and she chose, at that point, to think of her own survival. Selfish, perhaps, but human too. And it's really hard to fault her in that when her choices if she'd stayed were to most likely die alongside Tamid. And to accept Fazim's marriage proposal after trying to hard to escape her uncle's wanting to marry her just to fall into another marriage out of blackmail? Can't say I blame her. They were hard decisions to make and she had to make them in seconds, and she chose to live.

8. Jin reveals he was there is dustwalk to blow up the factory to stop weapons being made for the Gallen. The factory would also have bee the main source of jobs for the people of dustwalk and the surrounding area. Does this change your opinion of Jin. Is there more to his story than meets the eye do you think?
I'm more surprised that one man alone managed to blow up an entire factory. Was there no security in that place? How even did he manage that? And yes, while I believe he thought he was doing the best of things by preventing weapons from being given to the outsiders in their land, you bring up a good point about what this destruction meant to the livelihoods of the inhabitants of Duskwalk. Jin might have the best of intentions about stopping the weapon trade for whatever reasons of his, but he also shows a surprising lack of concern about the consequences of this to the people in the town. It is, after all, their jobs.

9. What do you think these first beings are? In Miraji, they are things like the Buraqi but in other places they are causing earthquakes and floods to stop factories being built?
I guess they are sort of like ancient magical beings that aren't happy humans are on their turf. They also mention Djinn alongside the Buraqi, and they appear to be creatures of some magic, the first beings in the land who, like most magical creatures, have had their homes destroyed by men and civilization and technology.

10. I was completely surprised when Shira turned up on the train but then when we learn there is only one train a month to Izman, it didn't seem as surprising or that the soldiers would follow given what Jin has done. However does it surprise you that one of Amani's own family would betray her in such a way? Should Amani have been less surprised at being followed?
I wish we'd seen more of Shira before this incident. We didn't see much of her to justify her betrayal in this way and I wanted to have learnt more about this cousin. As it was, it sort of came out of nowhere, just one moment and forgotten the next in the narrative, and she might as well have not been there and Amani just cross paths with the soldiers in the only monthly train to Izman by sheer back luck. So it surprised me, not because one of her family would betray her so (I believed that of her aunt or uncle) but because the betrayal came from someone in her family we knew very little about to make sense of why she'd do this. Was it just because her lover seemed more interested in furthering his goals through Amani than Shira? Or because of the Buraqi hunt? Because Shira secretly resented her cousin? Because of her own ambition? Maybe all of them but it still seemed like her being in that train was an extraneous detail that was practically ignored after what it provoked and her presence or no presence wouldn't have changed anything that happened.

As for the rest, I did think Amani was rather dumb inviting scrutiny in first class and should have paid more attention to the fact that, being the only train in a month to travel to Izman, it might have been less than secure and a bit more subtlety and care would have been best. smh at you, Amani.

11. Jin visibly relaxes when Amani tells him the compass is broken. Do you think there might be some other, more magical properties attached to it?
I found it strange when I read that part and how that was the only thing he was worried Amani had stolen, so it was a bit of a red herring something was going on there. I got curious about the mystery of that.

12. There is a lot of action in this section especially of the classic western variety chases through a train and subsequent train jump, escape on horseback and we have started to learn that there is a lot more going on outside of dustwalk than we have previously been privy to. The plan he outlines to get Amani to Izman seems straight forward enough. Do you think this is where he is actually going to lead her. What do think is going to happen next?
At this point I don't actually have much reason to think Jin is going to betray Amani. I think his plan is probably reasonable, even if it'll take a lot longer to get where Amani wants to go. If you don't have money to afford transportation, work for it, which is logical. Maybe that's why Amani agrees - she is smart enough to realize that there are very few options available to her after what has happened and Jin's proposal, despite being harder than a train ride, is logical. This doesn't mean that he was suggesting it only for her. He seems to have an agenda of his own that we really don't know much about. Amani herself points out that it's not a coincidence it goes where his compass is pointing. At this point in the narrative I'm not sure what may happen next but any long desert trek is bound to bring trouble, if only because story rules say that long journeys are boring without some conflict.

message 44: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1411 comments Discussion Questions 13 June, Chapters 5-10

I didn't like the way they hunted for that horse. It seemed they were hurting it with the iron, it looked barbaric to me. It wasn't very smart of her, but at first she tried to save her cousin. I think it was smart to try and use the baraqi to escape.

I didn't think she had much to choice, but to escape with Jin. It would have been certain death if she stayed and tried to save Tamid.

I think there is more to Jins story I suspect he is the rebel in the title (and maybe the rebel prince they keep talking about). I like Jin, but he could use some manners.

9. What do you think these first beings are? In Miraji, they are things like the Buraqi but in other places they are causing earthquakes and floods to stop factories being built?`
I think they are some sort of Fae type beings, with them vulnerable to iron, also their connection to the earth and wanting to protect it.

It dd surprise she was on the train, but it doesn't surprise me that her family is willing to betray her with the way they have been treating her.

I think there are, it reminded me of Jack Sparrows (Pirates of the Caribbean) compass.

message 45: by KayB (new) - rated it 4 stars

KayB | 8 comments 1. What made you decide to read this book, besides it being book of the month?
Initially my thoughts were "Western meets magic, this could be interesting." Although I had my doubts as to how this would play out, I was still pretty excited to give it a chance.

I like Amina, she's strong willed, independent, and willing to fight for what she wants. I feel that she's very determined to get out of Duskwalk and even though she isn't 100% sure as to what she'll find in Izman, she knows that it has to be better than the conditions in Duskwalk even if all the stories aren't true. After losing most of the little money she once had, it seems that at this point she's desperate and that she will escape anyway she can.

So far, we haven't seen much more the town except Amani's family and her friend Tamid. But from the stories of the hangings, the lack of food and money, the way the women are treated, I can see that it's not a nice town. It seems that everyone in Duskwalk is pretty much impoverished with the exception of Tamid and his family. The mines that are also the cause of so many dead and injured, may also be the main source of income for the town, if any. And the way the army marches through for the weapons each time and the youth of the soldiers, adds to the theory the country is in poor condition. And like I said earlier my initial reaction was that this was more of a western setting, but after reading it seems that the middle eastern and western cultures have been blended. This would explain "Deadshot" and "Duskwalk", maybe these towns are more hardened and gruff than say a town like "Izman". I'm interested to see what this entails.

While Jin is a stranger, he also seems to be the only person around capable of helping her escape to Izman. It does seem as though Jin is hiding something though, so I wouldn't be quick to trust him completely. But to trust him to get her out of that town, definitely. I don't know if he realizes yet that she is the "Blue-eyed bandit," but I hope he doesn't dismiss her request because she is a girl, as it seems the other inhabitants of the town would.

So far so good. I understand it for the most part, I'm just kind of waiting for the action to kick off. I heard there was magic afoot.

message 46: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (DaughterofOak) | 3436 comments Discussion Questions 12 June, Chapters 1-4

I think the synopsis sounded pretty interesting. Plus, it's been way too long since I've joined a BOM!

2. What do you make of Amina? Do you like her? She seems to be a strong character. I like her. I like that she hasn't been beaten down by her circumstances. I also like her snarkiness and inability to keep her mouth shut. I predict it will get her in a lot of trouble.

3. The town of Dustwalk doesn’t sound like a very nice place to live. What do you think of this town and its inhabitants? I also wondered why the author didn’t give it a Middle Eastern name like the characters and some of the other towns. It's like a cross between the Middle East and the Wild West. I am not surprised that Amina wants to run away, with the way people, especially women, are treated in Dustwalk.

4. Can Amani trust Jin “the Foreigner”? Is it smart of her to go away with him? I wonder who he is and I have my suspicions as to why he is called a foreigner, do you have any suspicions about him? I think there are very few people that she can trust and that Jin seems less likely to betray her. I think he is connected somehow to the story of the rebel Prince.

I like it so far. It is interesting and, while I don't understand everything yet, I like that we're thrown into the action.

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 131 comments Discussion Questions 13 June, Chapters 5-10

I do not like that the women do not get to own the Buraqi after they do the hard work of luring it. It is frustrating to read about men owning every aspect of women. Amani was definitely acting impulsively when she fought to catch the Baraqi. She needs to think before she acts.

She needed to get out of that situation. She would have been killed along with Tamid because she really didn't know enough information to satisfy the army. Hopeful they spared Tamid his life, but two characters would be dead if Jin didn't come sweep Amani away.

He is definitely a vigilante. His only goal is to retaliate and will sacrifice the lives of the villagers in order to execute his agenda. I am sure there is more to his story, but this does not change my opinion of him right now.

I am sure they are ancient creatures who first occupied the land. They are probably trying to reclaim what once was theirs.

I was surprised that Shira was on the train. I didn't think she was that angry at Amani over that jerk Fazim. I wonder if we see more of her later in the story. Amani shouldn't have been surprised that the soldiers continued to look for her. She escaped during a serious interrogation with the man that they were trying to find. She should have been more careful at the train station.

I hope so!

Jin is definitely up to something else that I am sure Amani is going to get roped into.

message 48: by Alison (last edited Jun 13, 2016 02:18PM) (new) - added it

Alison (A1ison74) | 2261 comments Discussion Questions 12 June, Chapters 1-4

I've actually had this on my tbr for what feels like forever. It's a YA fantasy with magic, with horses and maybe Djinni. That's good enough for me :)

Yep liking her so far. She saved that young boy which she didn't have to do, she's impulsive and she tends to speak without thinking which I always love.

It makes me think of the wild west and the old cowboy films which I'm assuming is the authors intention. I suspect the author hasn't given it a Middle Eastern name to distance it from the Middle East and make it a whole new world. Also the name Dustwalk creates an image all by itself.

I had a notion that he might be the rebel Prince but given he's referred to as the foreigner it seems less likely. Although he does say his mother is from another land so possibly?? I think she's desperate so would run off with anyone. I doubt she 100% trusts him but he does seem fairly trustworthy.

I'm liking the world but I am finding the place names and some of the words a bit confusing at the moment. Not unusual for fantasy. I'm pretty sure once I read on it'll become a lot clearer.

message 49: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 676 comments Discussion Questions 13 June, Chapters 5-10

I found the fact that only a woman could catch a Buraqi interesting. Apparently non-humans value women more. However, I think the selling part is due to poverty--having a fast horse does you no good if you don't have enough to eat anyway. As for Amani catching it when and where she did, there was no other option except not to catch it at all. Although, I did think there might be more connection to the woman who caught it. I was surprised that Jin could steal it so easily.

Fazim is a scumbag and I hope he gets left in a miserable situation. Tamid took too long. He could have protected her before, but once the soldiers arrived and she was accused he was powerless to protect her. The best thing she could do was leave as she couldn't save him and he didn't want to see her captured.

Jin is playing the big picture, which unfortunately is very unkind to regular people. However, it just strengthened my belief that he is the 13th prince in disguise.

I figure they're something like elementals. But other than that, I don't know.

I was surprised too, but not that Shira betrayed her. Shira has been resentful of her presence and happy to hate Amani for some time. Plus, she's self-centered and will do anything that she thinks will elevate her position somehow.

There is definitely something magical about the compass. I'm just surprised it is seeing so little page time.

We shift from Old West to Arabian caravan! The action and culture do give a bit of whiplash sometimes. They don't seem to be very well combined. Though, I am finding the reading easy going. And I do think Jin will help her so long as it doesn't take him somewhere he doesn't want to go.

Logan  (loganturner) | 1417 comments Catching up...

Discussion Questions 12 June, Chapters 1-4

I saw it was a feature in one of the YA book boxes and was bummed I missed out on it. Plus the cover looked cool and I love a unique setting.

I really like her. She's self sufficient and has a cool skill. That works for me!

It sounds pretty miserable. I do wish we had some more info on the world. Is it fantasy? Rooted in reality? The fact that she didn't give it a Middle Eastern name makes me think she didn't want us to picture someplace specific which may come with preconceived notions.

Okay total left field guess at this point - but I'm wondering if he's the rebel Prince. lol! I do think she can trust him but I'm not sure why.

I'm also confused. I wish she had given us some more details on the world.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Rebel of the Sands (other topics)
Outlander (other topics)