Afro Book Club discussion

2014 Group Read Nominations > JULY 2014 Nominations for Regions North Africa and Island States

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ConnorD (last edited May 29, 2014 12:49AM) (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Please nominate two books for July 2014 Group Read as follows:
1. One book from authors of African descent in North Africa
2. One book from authors of African descent in Australia or other island states such as Mauritius, Madagascar, New Zealand (not Caribbean)

NORTH AFRICA
*Hope & Other Dangerous Pursuits
*Season of Migration to the North

AUSTRALIA/ISLAND STATES
*Beneath the Darkening Sky
*An African in Greenland

message 2: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Hope & Other Dangerous Pursuits by Laila Lalami Hope & Other Dangerous Pursuits by Laila Lalami is my nomination for North Africa - from Morocco

"In this debut of an exciting new voice in fiction, Lalami evokes the grit and enduring grace that is modern Morocco. The book begins as four Moroccans illegally cross the Strait of Gibraltar in an inflatable boat headed for Spain. What has driven them to risk their lives?"

message 3: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Beneath the Darkening Sky by Majok Tulba -- African-Australian author
Beneath the Darkening Sky by Majok Tulba

"When the rebels come to Obinna's village, they do more than wreak terror for one night. Lining the children up in the middle of the village, they measure them against the height of an AK-47. Those who are shorter than the gun are left behind. Those who are taller are taken. Obinna and his older brother Akot find themselves the rebel army's newest recruits.

But while Akot almost willingly surrenders to the training, Obinna resists, determined not to be warped by the revolution's slogans and violence. In the face of his vicious captain's determination to break him, Obinna finds help in a soldier called Priest, and in the power of his own dreams.

Beneath the Darkening Sky describes a life unimaginably different from our own, but one that is the experience of tens of thousands of child soldiers. Uncompromising, vivid and raw, it is an astonishing portrait of a mind trying to make sense of a senseless world.

Majok Tulba himself was shorter than the AK-47, and came to Australia from South Sudan as a refugee in 2001. This is the story of what might have happened to him had he been an inch taller"

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly My nomination for North Africa is Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih

After years of study in Europe, the young narrator of Season of Migration to the North returns to his village along the Nile in the Sudan. It is the 1960s, and he is eager to make a contribution to the new postcolonial life of his country. Back home, he discovers a stranger among the familiar faces of childhood—the enigmatic Mustafa Sa’eed. Mustafa takes the young man into his confidence, telling him the story of his own years in London, of his brilliant career as an economist, and of the series of fraught and deadly relationships with European women that led to a terrible public reckoning and his return to his native land.

But what is the meaning of Mustafa’s shocking confession? Mustafa disappears without explanation, leaving the young man—whom he has asked to look after his wife—in an unsettled and violent no-man’s-land between Europe and Africa, tradition and innovation, holiness and defilement, and man and woman, from which no one will escape unaltered or unharmed.

Season of Migration to the North is a rich and sensual work of deep honesty and incandescent lyricism. In 2001 it was selected by a panel of Arab writers and critics as the most important Arab novel of the twentieth century.

message 5: by Lede (last edited May 28, 2014 02:47AM) (new)

Lede Tayeb Salih's Season of Migration to the North or Wedding of Zein - North Africa. Read both this year and would highly recommend them.

message 6: by Lede (new)

message 7: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Nominations for July BOM will close on 6 June

message 8: by Nabse (new)

Nabse Bamato (wwwgoodreadscomnabse_bamato) | 9 comments Hi all. Sorry if I should know this but can you tell me which books were chosen for the July read in the end? I voted in the poll but am not sure which one everyone will be reading and I'd like to be able to join in the discussions if I can get through the books in time (they all look very interesting). Many thanks for your help.

message 9: by Nabse (new)

Nabse Bamato (wwwgoodreadscomnabse_bamato) | 9 comments Oh, found it - sorry!