What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Haunting of Swain's Fancy
This topic is about The Haunting of Swain's Fancy
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's/YA lit book about civil war ghosts [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Ragsdale | 5 comments A girl goes to live with her cousins (a boy and girl) at a house that is haunted by a woman roaming about a room and the stairs. Every night in the house two ghosts of men in civil war uniforms are seen fighting each other while the ghost woman looks on and tries to stop them. The three kids find a note and try to solve the mystery of why the two ghosts are fighting. They turn out to be brothers fighting over a woman they both love on the opposite sides in the civil war before they end up killing each other. They also fight over a chest of gold that one hid in the staircase. I read this a long time ago and I've tried searching for it online and can't find it.

Isabel (kittiwake) | 110 comments Was it the American civil war or English civil war? Or some other civil war?

message 3: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna (kathkira) | 1 comments This book generally sounds like something I would enjoy. It reminds me of some books that I've read by Mary Downing Hahn, though I'm not seeing anything that seems like this particular book.

Do you know about how long ago you read it? Like mid-90's long ago or like 70's long ago?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36945 comments Mod
Lauren, are you still looking for this?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Dec 05, 2016 06:42PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 36945 comments Mod
Lauren is still looking for this.

Don't forget to check out the suggestions made above.

message 7: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Ragsdale | 5 comments I forgot this was still up! Thank you!

message 8: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Ragsdale | 5 comments It was the American Civil War

message 9: by Lauren (last edited Dec 05, 2016 06:54PM) (new) - added it

Lauren Ragsdale | 5 comments Rosanna wrote: "This book generally sounds like something I would enjoy. It reminds me of some books that I've read by Mary Downing Hahn, though I'm not seeing anything that seems like this particul..."

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, those books don't sound like the book I read. I read this sometime between 2007-2011.

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments Lauren, maybe it's on this list https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela | 426 comments The Haunting of Swain's Fancy by Brenda Seabrooke The Haunting of Swain's Fancy by Brenda Seabrooke?

School Library Journal's review hits on a lot of the plot points you mentioned:

"Gr 5-7 –From the first moment 11-year-old Taylor sees the 18th-century house her father and his wife, Sylvia, have recently purchased in West Virginia, she feels the presence of all of its previous inhabitants. Her first night there, she sees two ghosts , a disembodied head outside the window of the bedroom she is sharing with her new stepsister, and a woman in a 19th-century dress opening and closing phantom drawers as if searching for something. Taylor discovers that the ghost head is actually a prank dreamed up by Nicole, who is not happy about sharing her room. She reasons that the other ghost was also somehow faked–until Nicole sees her, too. The two girls, along with Nicole's brother Peter and friend Cody, begin investigating the history of Swain's Fancy and discover a murder committed in the house during the Civil War . Two brothers, Jason and Jared Swain, one in the Union Army, the other the Confederate, were both in love with their cousin, Elizabeth. Jason was shot and murdered by Jared, who accused his brother of stealing the family's gold. Elizabeth was convinced Jason was innocent and searched the rest of her life for proof. The children find this evidence, all the while menaced by Jared's vengeful ghost , and the past is set to rest. This is a well-done, historical-mystery, ghost story with suspenseful pacing that will draw readers in. The added plot of adjusting to a new stepfamily is well integrated into the story.–Terrie Dorio, Santa Monica Public Library, CA --Terrie Dorio (Reviewed August 1, 2003) (School Library Journal, vol 49, issue 8, p166)"

message 12: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Ragsdale | 5 comments Angela wrote: "The Haunting of Swain's Fancy by Brenda Seabrooke The Haunting of Swain's Fancy by Brenda Seabrooke?

School Library Journal's review hits on a lot of the plot points..."

OMG this is it!!! Thank you soooooooo much Angela! I loved this book!