The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) The Way of Shadows discussion

What can I expect from the Night Angel Trilogy?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cuong I'm still considering wether to read this or not, so I'd appreciate an brief overview of what I can expect from the Night Angel trilogy. (without spoiling too much).
Some infos about:
the protagonist and other main/side characters
how the action scenes are depicted
the flow, pace, and generally the writing style
maybe a hint or full blown romantic subplot
strategic or cunning minds and tactics

infos such as those for example would be very helpful to make a decision
Also are there many POV's or mainly one or two?

Thanks

Matthias Hejlskov it's been a while since I read it, but I believe it's single POV.

the protagonist is a boy who becomes an assassin.
the action scenes are usually very fast paced and gripping, and the general pace of the book is good I think, not too slow, but not so fast that it's confusing.
there is definitely romance in it.
and yes, there is some strategy as it's about assassins, but it doesn't always go as planned (ofc).

apart from that, I'll say it's defintely on my top 10. well worth reading.

message 3: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron Gilmette Good story. Good action. Wide range of characters. Expect some grisly stuff also.

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood I think the story went to slow, and their wasn't enough action to really get into it. And the boy charter I liked his personality to began with but half way through the book I just stopped liking it. Although I liked his teacher that was teaching him how to kill people, but after a while I thought he just became a jerk and then he'd go back to being all nice and caring then be back to being a hard ass another. So yeah. Plus I didn't get into the romance part of it either. So on a scale from 1- 10 (1 being the worse 10 being the best) I'd rate it about a 3

Shane Jardine An overrated series.

Its decent, but not what so many people make it out to be. At least for me it wasn't.

Beverly It has been a while since I read it, but I think the first book POV is the main character Azoth/Kylar but as the story expands in books 2 and 3, there were other POVs from major characters.

I think The Way of Shadows was Brent Weeks first published book. It shows in some of the less polished characterizations and action scenes and in places the story is a bit slow and clumsy but the 2nd and 3rd books were improvements. I love when an author pulls me in to the story so effectively that I feel the characters emotions causing me to laugh out loud, feel lead weight fear in the pit of my stomach and actually cry tears from sadness. I experience that with this series so I would give it 2 thumbs up.

Metaphorosis I don't recall enough details to answer your specific questions, but I can tell you to expect well written, somewhat gritty fantasy that's more true to life than most fantasy - in the sense that there's less Good and Evil, and more complex emotion.

There's one main POV - a boy who comes from a land of violence and gangs to become the apprentice of famous assassin Durzo Blint. Largely about the boy, but his old gang compatriots do figure in.

There's an interesting, well-developed backstory. It thins out a bit at the end of the series, but it's mostly good.

There are a couple of reasonably central romantic plots, handled well.

The pace is fairly swift. There's a good deal of introspection, but it's credible rather than burdensome or whiny.

I would very much recommend it, especially if you like your fantasy on the darker, more personal side.

message 8: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom I guess I'll play the devil's advocate here, but I barely made it through the first book. The one I read was full of mistakes as if it wasn't even edited. And not just grammatical. One time the character hides behind a picture,, as in one that is hanging flat against the wall, another time, a character is called by his wrong name.. like Paul or something like that and there wasn't even a Paul in the whole book.

But what was the worst for me, is it was like Weeks just didn't have an idea what kind of book he was writing. The tone was all over the place and the pace was the same, wide open action, to depressing back story, to explicit violence. And the dialog was just horrible. I thought if read another bad referance to a women's breast I would have puked and I love boobs.

David Hockabout I enjoyed the first books of the series. Momma K was a great character. But, I felt the third book just petered out and I lost interest. To much navel gazing ruin the third book for me.

Christopher Patterson I thought it was a decent series. I will agree with what David said an say it started to peter out, for me, at the end of book two and I struggled to finish book three, where I blazed through book one. Good action. Most of the characters, but not all, were fairly well developed. I wouldn't say you would be wasting your money. Its entertaining and thats why most people read fantasy

Christopher Patterson
A Chance Beginning Book One of the Shadow's Fire Trilogy by Christopher Patterson

Marcus I have recently just finished the whole series, like Yesterday, well this morning at 1:00 AM. It is a good read, but all a flawed read. It very entertaining. Fast Paced with a lot of action. There are very few dull points in the book. I read like 300 Pages of book 1 and Book 3 in one day. I finished book 3 in four days. It is a five star book and series, with one Star editing.

I personally don't like the Writing style of Weeks, but if that is not a problem than you should be okay. The book is very dark. It has rape, murder, child prositution, Deception, child molestation, homosexuality, This not a cookie cutter book, granted he does have cookiee cutter characters, but there not many of them. the book has alot of POVs, and there are times the flow and structure of the book feels choppy. He does not explain the magic system too much, so you have to just keep on reading to figure out everything, which he does most of the time.

I wrote two reviews, on book 1 and book 3. They were my fav. of the series.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I would give the series 3.5 Stars, but if you can get past the writing style and some of editing mistakes, than you might consider it a five star.

Let me know if this is helpful

Brian Mostly what Marcus said. There are a ton of POVs, probably too many, so the people who mention there being a single or primary POV really don't remember the books well. It is extremely fast paced with very short chapters, as Weeks said that he intended to write it like a thriller.

The plot twists are pretty good, but the writing is sub par and the editing is abysmal. I have heard that his writing becomes a lot better with the Lightbringer series, but I haven't started it yet. Weeks has even admitted that he is embarrassed by some of the writing in Night Angel.

Some of the characters are well rounded and some are one dimensional, so uneven in that respect. And the central romance is terrible.

The series starts off very dark, but there is a definite optimism that starts becoming more and more evident as the series goes on, and maybe goes too far into sappy territory with the third book.

Despite all my complaints, I read this series extremely fast and really couldn't stop. In my mind, great fantasy authors have great imagination and writing skills. Weeks only really has the former in this series, but writing can be improved so I have hope for his future. He has the ideas; just needs better execution.

message 13: by Yutg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yutg A lot of gruesome things, brutal acts perpetrated on just about anyone race, age, etc. some explicit content.

Hero is a little too unbelievable but he has a lot of OMG that if you can swallow you'll be impressed, laugh and enjoy.

Justin Jorgensen Meh. I sort of enjoyed book #1. I haven't read any further and I'm not sure if I will. I enjoyed the story, the dark atmosphere and the grit. Reading reviews and descriptions, it sounded right up my alley. I just cant get past the amateur undertones. Too much of the book is poorly written (imho) and sometimes badly edited. As others have mentioned, good ideas, poor execution. Maybe I'll check out some of his newer books see if his writing style has matured or not.

message 15: by Marc (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marc Jones Lightbringer is a far better series than Night-angel. Its better written has stronger characters and doesn't have the whole amateur vibe going on.

message 16: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom Justin- I totally agree.
Marc- I have heard that Lightbringer is a much better story. A buddy of mine keeps trying to get me to try it.

message 17: by Marc (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marc Jones Don,t get me wrong I enjoyed Night-Angel and credit were its due for a first time novel Brent weeks did a damn good job and his writing did get between between books.
But Lightbringer seems to address every issue raised about his writing and he shows every sign in being a top fantasy writer (if he isnt already considered so).

message 18: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom yeah, see that's what holds me back from Lightbringer. I barely got through The Way of the Shadow. If I'd have enjoyed it a little bit more, I would be more interested and starting Lightbringer.

Brian The first book was good. Really good- I couldn't put it down. The second book was so cliche and slow it was almost painful to read. I threw it out before I got halfway through it was so bad, and Im not one to give up on books easily. Forget the trilogy, just read the first book and call it a day.

message 20: by Marc (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marc Jones I only read other parts of night-angel after the first Lightbringer... The rise in quality almost seems like someone else wrote it.
The rest of night-angel gets better but never really gets past the whole "all women are bitches and hoes" vibe....lightbringer feels alot less like it was written by a hyperactive 12 year old who just stayed up all night watching Ninja movies.

message 21: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom Marc wrote: "I only read other parts of night-angel after the first Lightbringer... The rise in quality almost seems like someone else wrote it.
The rest of night-angel gets better but never really gets past th..."

That's good to hear Mark. Maybe I do need to give it some more consideration.

Martin Jovanovski Brian wrote: "The first book was good. Really good- I couldn't put it down. The second book was so cliche and slow it was almost painful to read. I threw it out before I got halfway through it was so bad, and Im..."

Wow ... Totally different opinion than mine. I found the first book overpaced, with so many cliche conversations, and badly edited.. And most of the the problems from the first book simply vanished from the second book .. while some returned with the third ... For me, the second book is the best in the series ...

message 23: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom Martin wrote: "Brian wrote: "The first book was good. Really good- I couldn't put it down. The second book was so cliche and slow it was almost painful to read. I threw it out before I got halfway through it was ..."
Just curious Martin; why did you start the second book if you felt that way about the first? I thought the same thing about the first book.
After I got through it, I was like no-way I'm starting the 2nd one.
But then again, I'm one of those readers that has no problem quitting a book if I'm not digging it by the first 100-150 pages. There is just too many books I want to read and so I have too little time to read that it's just not worth it to me.

Brian Brian wrote: "The first book was good. Really good- I couldn't put it down. The second book was so cliche and slow it was almost painful to read. I threw it out before I got halfway through it was so bad, and Im..."

Did you read them one after the other or years apart (when you realized how poorly written they are)? If you read them one after the other, then I cannot fathom this reaction at all.

Brian Kidgreg wrote: "Martin wrote: "Brian wrote: "The first book was good. Really good- I couldn't put it down. The second book was so cliche and slow it was almost painful to read. I threw it out before I got halfway ..."

He still gave it 3 stars. I gave it 4 stars even though I had serious issues with the writing quality and non-existent editing.

message 26: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom I guess, with my To Be Read List getting so attainability huge, I either really like a book or I don't. There really has to be something about a book that keeps me hooked. Otherwise, I know I can easily find something I'll like more to read.

Martin Jovanovski Kidgreg wrote: "Martin wrote: "Brian wrote: "The first book was good. Really good- I couldn't put it down. The second book was so cliche and slow it was almost painful to read. I threw it out before I got halfway ..."

I bought them all at once! I wasn't gonna let it sit unread. Also, even though the writing isn't good enough, the story is interesting, and i wanted to see what will happen .. I read them back to back .. Psychologically speaking i might have had lowered expectations after the first, but if that was the case, then the third one would have been the best .. I'll see how i will feel about his writing when i will start reading the lightbringer series ..

message 28: by Martin (last edited May 29, 2014 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Martin Jovanovski He still gave it 3 stars. I gave it 4 stars even though I had serious issues with the writing quality and non-existent editing.

Its really rare for me to give 3 stars on a book .. I gave them to books that have something going in them, they have good enough pitch, or are well written but lacked the story or the characterization .. Most of the books that i tend to read are in the 4 stars radius. The 5 stars are for those i really like .. 2 or 1 stars are for books that didn't deserved to be published .. As a series The night angel is a 4 star series ..

message 29: by Marc (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marc Jones Sometimes people just read a whole bunch of bad books....Like me and Terry Goodkind...I keep doing it to myself because Im convinced one day I will get what everyone else seems to like

Roger Marc wrote: "Sometimes people just read a whole bunch of bad books....Like me and Terry Goodkind...I keep doing it to myself because Im convinced one day I will get what everyone else seems to like"
I did this with John Grisham, A Time To Kill was the book that me really into reading and I kept reading the crap Grisham was putting out because of that first book.