Fringe Fiction discussion

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (last edited May 07, 2014 12:08AM) (new)

Monica Pierce (monicaenderlepierce) | 115 comments I've set up a board to feature indie books: http://bit.ly/1j0LZb2

If you want your book (or an indie book you love) featured, please message me with the cover, a book review or quote, a sales link, and keywords or description, and I'll gladly add it to the page. (Remember, Pinterest has a 500 CHARACTER maximum.)

Please follow the board and share/repin.

Thanks!

message 2: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand | 532 comments It couldn't find the page. :-(

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica Pierce (monicaenderlepierce) | 115 comments Virginia wrote: "It couldn't find the page. :-("

Sorry, Virginia. Looks like GR is shortening the link improperly. Try this one: http://bit.ly/1j0LZb2

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Welke (mewelke) | 3 comments Following. It all looks good!

message 5: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand | 532 comments Yay!

message 6: by Monica (new)

Monica Pierce (monicaenderlepierce) | 115 comments Ian wrote: "Following. It all looks good!"

Thanks, Ian!

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1398 comments Mod
Okay so I recently made a Pinterest account and not only can I not figure it out but I don't get it. What's the point? To me it seems like another version of Tumblr and Instagram put together where you can post random pictures.

Also I don't get the different between pin and like. From an author standpoint I don't see how it works, maybe I'm totally oblivious.

message 8: by Justin (new)

Oh I forgot to add the question to all that..

Can someone explain Pinterest to me? lol

message 9: by A.L. (last edited Mar 11, 2015 12:47PM) (new)

A.L. Sayge Justin wrote: "Oh I forgot to add the question to all that..

Can someone explain Pinterest to me? lol"

I don't know if this will help but I can tell you that I use Pinterest to pin pictures that illustrate my characters, locations, or other important features/items in my story so I can get a good visual image that I won't forget. It helps "bring them to life" and also helps me describe them better. It also helps me remember things I need to do in the story.

I've never used Tumblr or Instagram, so I don't know the difference between them and Pinterest. I find Pinterest easy to use, and the different boards let me categorize things so they're not all lumped together.

message 10: by Justin (new)

Thanks Anita,
that helps and makes sense. So you're basically using pictures in a simple way to demonstrate happenings from your book. I like that idea, I just need a more broad explanation of how everything works haha.

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 287 comments I've heard that people who like Pinterest spend more time there than people do on other social media sites. I tried Pinterest and had no interest, though. I wasn't sure why I would just look at pictures. I like words.

message 12: by A.L. (last edited Mar 12, 2015 02:05PM) (new)

A.L. Sayge Amber wrote: "I've heard that people who like Pinterest spend more time there than people do on other social media sites. I tried Pinterest and had no interest, though. I wasn't sure why I would just look at pic..."

Well I guess it's like everything else - each individual's use of any social media is different. Some people waste hours on Twitter chatting about nothing, others use it more judiciously. What works for one person doesn't work for another. Personally, I like Pinterest to keep images of the things in my story, whatever I find that comes closest to the image in my mind, and I only refer to them when I want reminders, jumping-off points, or prompts. It's not something I spend much time with at all; I can't be bothered scouring other people's boards or following anyone there, it's simply a helpful tool. To me, whatever helps the words flow is, in my opinion, a good thing. :)

message 13: by Christie (new)

Christie Stratos (christiestratos) Anita, I use it for the same thing: inspiration for my stories when I happen to come across an image that makes me say, "Ooo I don't want to forget that!" Now it's all organized and my browsers bookmarks and aren't overwhelmed! It's been a game changer for me.

message 14: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sayge Christie wrote: "Anita, I use it for the same thing: inspiration for my stories when I happen to come across an image that makes me say, "Ooo I don't want to forget that!" Now it's all organized and my browsers boo..."

Yup, exactly. I've heard a lot of writers say they use it as a reference for inspiration and to have concrete images of what's in their imagination. It's mentioned pretty frequently in writers' circles.

message 15: by Justin (new)

Well the way you describe it makes it sound like it can be used as a picture platform and way to organize scenes, characters and other book related things within pictures and pin them to folders. It seems intriguing so perhaps I'll try for that, Anita what's the link to your Pinterest? I'd love to check it out and see how you use it to get an idea.

When I first got a Twitter account I didn't get it but now I'm on it constantly lol. While I mainly tweet business related stuff mainly books at times I find myself talking on there as well so yeah some social media outlets can be time consuming for sure.

message 16: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sayge Justin wrote: "Well the way you describe it makes it sound like it can be used as a picture platform and way to organize scenes, characters and other book related things within pictures and pin them to folders. I..."

Justin - Yeah it's easy to get caught up in social media of any kind, but sometimes what starts as a simple chat on places like Twitter can end up becoming a new business connection - you just never know! I feel it's worth it to try anything that might help with your writing and then if it doesn't work for you, you really haven't lost anything but you've gained a little more knowledge. :)

I have a private Pinterest board for my book images (your boards can be public for all to see, follow, and repin or they can be private and invisible to all but you). No big secrets there, I'm just one of those writers who likes to keep everything under wraps until release day! I tend to pin pictures that are exactly what I'm writing about in my book, and I label each picture that way. For example, when I find a picture of a Victorian man who looks like the character in my story, I'll caption the picture with his name. If I have trouble forming his words or reactions, I can look at that picture to get "into his mind", so to speak. A house that looks like an important feature of my story will have the caption "Mary Smith's summer home", etc., which can help me visualize events that take place there.

So where Christie says she uses Pinterest for inspiration, mine are directly out of my story - they form a sort of pictorial outline. Another interesting thing I found is that when I discover a picture of something from my book, sometimes it'll be a museum piece or someone's personal belonging, and it'll have a description that expands my knowledge of the item. Like I may not have realized that the particular type of material might disintegrate in a certain way over time according to the temperatures it's kept in or maybe it can be recognized by a particular odor, that sort of thing. It expands my knowledge while adding richness and credibility to my story.

But Christie mentioned that she uses Pinterest as inspiration for her book, so it sounds like hers has more general pictures related to her story. Christie, is your Pinterest public?

message 17: by Christie (new)

Christie Stratos (christiestratos) Thanks, Anita! Yes, my Pinterest is public. I have two boards you might be interested in, Justin. One is called "Victorian Novel WIP" and the other is called "Raising Rulers WIP". Of course neither is the official title of a book, it's just so I know what I'm talking about without revealing too much ahead of time. When I publish these two books, I'll replace the names of the boards with the names of the books so readers can see where my inspiration came from.

https://www.pinterest.com/cstratoswri...

On the Victorian one, I just pinned lots of pictures that inspire the house, clothing, and general feel of the book. I have inspiration for just one character, like his smile and his cheekbones (really specific, I know!).

For the Raising Rulers one, I picked even more specific things that will appear in the book. For example, there are two actors that look similar to what I want two characters to look like. I also have a dagger that will be used. But since it takes place in medieval times, I needed to do heavy research into the kinds of horse armor there were at the time, plus things like sword names. All of that is pinned, easy for me to find and just look at when I'm trying to describe something in my book.

Easy access = easy writing - that's my motto! Hope this helps!

message 18: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sayge Haha good motto, Christie! :)

message 19: by Justin (new)

You've both been very helpful thank you. Christie I'll definitely check out your page and get an idea of how it all works. :)

message 20: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Think of Pinterest like a visual version of Twitter. It's sound bites in the form of thumbnails (or bigger, depending), just like the character limit for twitter.

I have an account myself, haven't found a use for it yet. But as soon as I do, I'll let you know.

message 21: by Justin (new)

Christie wrote: "Thanks, Anita! Yes, my Pinterest is public. I have two boards you might be interested in, Justin. One is called "Victorian Novel WIP" and the other is called "Raising Rulers WIP". Of course neither..."

I'm sure you noticed I started building on there! I added a board and started liking a few things. My plan is to build a board for each book and find pictures that pertain to chapters, poems, characters and anything else i think might be relevant.

message 22: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sayge Justin wrote: "Christie wrote: "Thanks, Anita! Yes, my Pinterest is public. I have two boards you might be interested in, Justin. One is called "Victorian Novel WIP" and the other is called "Raising Rulers WIP". ..."

Justin, that sounds like a great plan! I hope it works as well for you as it does for me. :)

message 23: by Justin (new)

So far so good. I've been pinning to a few created boards for the last two days now. Created a board for my first book and just created a board for my 2nd. The 2nd at the moment has actors who I envision as the characters in the book. I'm adding more later.

message 24: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sayge Justin wrote: "So far so good. I've been pinning to a few created boards for the last two days now. Created a board for my first book and just created a board for my 2nd. The 2nd at the moment has actors who I en..."

Sounds like the perfect way to use Pinterest for your writing, Justin! I hope it works as well for you as it has for me. :)

message 25: by Justin (new)

So I've come across something I don't get it. When I pin something to a board of mine do I then take on the comment of the original person who posted it? Sometimes I'll notice my picture next to the original as if I made it but I didn't it was already there, wondering what that's all about.

Also, sometimes I make a comment and it doesn't appear so I have to go in and add it again..glitch on my part or common occurrance?

message 26: by Justin (new)

Oh okay. Thought It was just me. It's weird that you take over for the last persons comment tho.

message 27: by Justin (new)

How's everyone that uses this doing with it? I've posted sparingly on it as of late but plan to be more active on it when marketing my next upcoming book. Someone recently told me that they actually share their Pins from Pinterest to FB and Twitter, has anyone done this? Hows it faired? I have my Tumblr linked to my Twitter but don't really get a lot of activity to what gets posted.

But yeah, just wanted to see how people are doing on Pinterest

message 28: by Justin (new)

Talk about making this thread my own here..lol. Anyways..I've added a lot more pictures to my Opium Warfare Board on Pinterest and I think it looks great. It serves as a visual interpretation of my upcoming novel and I'm trying to build off it. It's a good start and hopefully I will add more pictures and it'll be even better.

You can check out the board here @

https://www.pinterest.com/justinbienv...

message 29: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 179 comments Here's my Pinterest account:

https://www.pinterest.com/lynnestringer/

message 30: by Justin (new)

I found this woman on Pinterest who has a ton of social media and promotion and marketing tip boards. I followed her and have taken quite a few of the boards myself and intend on looking into them to see how they fair. Check out her page @

https://www.pinterest.com/penneyfox/

message 31: by Justin (new)

So I've tried to use Pinterest more as a social media outlet and connect with readers and gain potential customers. I feel as though Pinterest is clearly different from Facebook, Twitter and Instagram in the sense that you can't just post what you want on there because on Pinterest there's boards and unless you have a board for what your posting you can't pin it. Here's what I've been doing on there lately:

I've created a board for all my articles and blog posts from my website and used Pablo For Buffer to create images for the posts to which I then pinned to the board. This will hopefully let more people see my blog posts on my website as I have always had a lack of views on that section of my site. Also using Pablo For Buffer is fun and made it easy to create simple related images of the posts themselves. This was also how I managed to get Pinterest on my Buffer which I would otherwise have to pay for by getting a premium account.

I created boards for stuff I'm interested in. I saw someone ask once on Twitter if you should create a separate business account on Twitter separate from your personal account and I say no. Given that you can create as many boards as you want you can easily make business/author related boards and boards of things that interest you and have them all on the same account. Any person who follows you or wants to check out your stuff and takes an interest in you can simply follow the boards they want and un-follow the ones they don't. For example I like Frank Sinatra but yet he has nothing to do with my writing, horror or poetry boards but yet I still have a board for him because he interests me. Anyone else who likes him can follow the board and anyone who doesn't can look elsewhere on my account for a board they do like,

I've found that you should make a board secret until you have at least 25 pins within it. This way you can build on it and it's easier to manage when your looking for things to put into it. I've done this with several of my boards as I like to build them up before I make them publicly available to view.

I've even made a board for something I thought I wouldn't but actually decided to based off another board. So upon finding pins of guns for my Western Horror board I found that I kept posting and seeing unique guns so rather than keep seeing them and overloading them into a board they don't fit in I created a Unique Guns board. Did I plan to? No, but seeing that I kept seeing them eventually I gained an interest in them and found that other do too so it makes for a good way to create boards by seeing if you have a certain amount in one and can make it into another.

Finally, I'd still like to establish my Pinterest more so that I can not only gain readers but connect to my potential audience there. I feel because Pinterest is used for so many things that how I can use it is being outweighed by my lack of really understanding how the site can truly work. I will take it slow and hope the process will eventually make sense and maybe then I will see a positive increase on there.

message 32: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 179 comments An author at another site I frequent posted a link to this article today, which I found helpful.

https://www.mixtusmedia.com/blog/10-p...

A number of authors were also talking about the fact that they've made boards to feature photos of houses like the ones their characters live in, the clothing they wear and the food they like, etc. I think that's a great idea and I hope to find time to put it into practice in the future.

message 33: by Justin (new)

One thing I've been doing a lot lately is being more active and updating my Pinterest. Since my old tablet crashed and is no longer letting me download Pinterest I downloaded it to my new one. It notifies me when people re-post my pins so I take that as a way of it telling me to get on. I've created a few new boards and I've been adding pins like crazy and while I haven't seen a dramatic increase in followers or sales or anything I feel good going forward and hope I can use my profile on the site as a way to get things going.

message 34: by Justin (new)

Just created a few new boards and I've been adding on to my other boards a lot lately. I've found I've been getting a lot of my pins added to other peoples boards and liked. What does it mean? Well nothing and something. It lets me know that my posts are being seen and people see that I'm active. So as long as I keep getting activity I'll keep it up.

message 35: by Justin (new)

I've converted my Pinterest page into a business page which allows me to create a showcase of up to five boards on my profile page and allows me to use analytics to see which boards and images are getting the most re-pins. I am still in the process of building a solid foundation and rapport on here and even have a list of things to help me do so.

message 36: by Justin (new)

So far Pinerest is my second best social media page after Twitter. I have over 50 boards, I post every day and I have around 70.4k views a month. I'm constantly building on there and not only is it for business but I have fun doing it. I have a new book coming out so I'm slowly making a board for that that I hope to get going.

If anyone else has a Pinterest drop your link here and feel free to follow me if your interested @ http://www.pinterest.com/JustinBienvenue

message 37: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (d_sherwood) Justin wrote: "Oh I forgot to add the question to all that..

Can someone explain Pinterest to me? lol"

I like Pinterest because it saves links across the internet in one place that can be easily grouped and organized. I used to have a Feedly, but I was inundated with updates from the blogs I followed and fell behind. Pinterest is great because it allows me to save information (provided there is a good photo for reference) and go back to it anytime.

It can also be a vision board, especially in terms of fashion, art, or writing books. I think the vision board aspect is what appeals most to the writer community from what I've heard talking to people about it.

Very rarely do I make a purchase off Pinterest, but if I do it is usually affiliated with an Etsy page. Pinterest disrupts the typical channels of business for me - if I see something in a physical store, I can usually find it online later and save it to purchase at another time without worrying about it not being in stock locally. I use it for recipes too. Again, it's nice to have a single place to collect links. Tumblr is too disorganized for me. The tags can help sort information, but the presentation of Pinterest is much more visually useful for me.

message 38: by C.P. (last edited Sep 13, 2018 04:35PM) (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) No one can really explain Pinterest because, as with Facebook, every time you figure it out, they change the darned thing. ;-)

That said, I love Pinterest. I'm a visual person and therefore a visual writer who specializes in a place almost unknown to most Westerners, so Pinterest is my subtle way of reaching out to potential readers by showing them my characters and settings.

I never engage in promotion on Pinterest. I don't even respond to promotion on Pinterest. I just connect with other people who know the world I write about. It's relaxed and fun. Useful? Who knows? But everyone needs downtime, and Pinterest is mine.

message 39: by Justin (new)

C.P. wrote: "No one can really explain Pinterest because, as with Facebook, every time you figure it out, they change the darned thing. ;-)

That said, I love Pinterest. I'm a visual person and therefore a visu..."

You're right about that! It changes constantly or they add something when it wasn't broken to begin with. I've carved out a nice niche on there but your right again as I won't promote on there as I'm not really sure of how it reaches the people it's supposed to and even if I did I feel it would be promoted to deaf ears or blind eyes. One thing I've done is managed to reach people with certain images but I don't know how to capitalize on making the most of those images.