What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. A historical Novel, son marries father's mistress

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Majeda (new)

Majeda | 6 comments Hello,
i don't know if this book is a turn of a century book, but it is a historical fiction book.

What I do remember about the book is it was about a young man who ends up going on a date with an orphan from a girls' home (I believe he takes her virginity), and then he goes to his father's place because his father, who I believe is a minister has passed away. He sees his father's mistress and falls in love with her, and then ends up marrying her. After a few kids, she finds out that he has another family, with the girl whose virginity he had taken. The story is then about how his families try to blend together I think. Also, I believe the title of the book was some "P" word that I couldn't pronounce (and now I can't remember). I do not know when it was written, but I believe it was near the THORN BIRDS on the library shelves, so I would assume the author's last name may have started with M just like the Thorn Birds' author...

message 2: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1042 comments Your comments remind me of the author Susan Howatch. Have you read any of her books?

message 3: by Majeda (new)

Majeda | 6 comments No I haven't. Ill look her up. Thanks

message 4: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments I suggest you put some details of the plot and characters in the title of your thread. Some folks only look at titles on threads and just read the whole thing if it seems like they might know the book in question. Details in titles help jog people's memories.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6990 comments Mod
Majeda--what kind of minister was his father that he had a mistress????

When did you read this? Do you remember anything about the cover?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36876 comments Mod
Laurie wrote: "Your comments remind me of the author Susan Howatch. Have you read any of her books?"

Susan Howatch does have a novel called Penmarric...which starts with P.

message 7: by Majeda (new)

Majeda | 6 comments Yea I looked it up...it's not that as there was no mother in the story...although I do want to read that....I read the book almost 20 years ago. I'm wondering if I can call my high school library and go through their records of all books that they had starting with P...lol

message 8: by Majeda (new)

Majeda | 6 comments Thanks@ heavyreader..

Ann....I think the cover had a painting of a landscape and the font was similar to the kind I'd find on the old classics.....or a Michener novel....it was a hefty book too...must have been as thick as the thorn birds...oh and I remember one of his sons was named Peter I think...and I think it took place in Australia or New Zealand or something....and one of his sons goes off to the mines or something.....man I wish I knew the title!!!

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 742 comments Sounds exactly like Penmarric-it was set in Cornwall, the oldest son was Philip, and he died in a copper or tin mine.

message 10: by Majeda (new)

Majeda | 6 comments hmmm....maybe the part I'm thinking about is the backstory? Thanks..I will read Penmarric and see if that's it...maybe that's where the whole dueling family part comes from -- the two women....if it is,then u are all so awesome to have found it so fast from the shoddy clues I gave!

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Cool, don't forget to come back and let us know.

message 12: by Kris (last edited May 01, 2015 06:48AM) (new)

Kris | 30845 comments Mod
Majeda, did you find out if Penmarric by Susan Howatch is your book?

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response. Moving to Abandoned.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Penmarric (other topics)
Penmarric (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Susan Howatch (other topics)