Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janessa (new)

Janessa (labyrinth001) I love Norse mythology and books that take place in cold climates. Does anyone have recommendations based on those aspects? I'm currently reading Giants of the Frost by Kim Wilkins and am enjoying it for the most part.

message 2: by T.S. (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 163 comments It's not a book, but you do--of course--know about the awesome "Vikings" TV series from The History Channel, yes?

message 3: by Janessa (new)

Janessa (labyrinth001) I definitely do! I just saw the season finale and that's one of the reasons I'm looking for more to keep me busy!

I also read a lot of mythology and historical books about Vikings but am looking for something lighter.

message 4: by T.S. (last edited May 06, 2014 07:42AM) (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 163 comments I'm sorry to keep recommending movies, but, I guess there is "Eric the Viking"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_the...

...and if you want very light, there is "How to Train Your Dragon" --which is the BEST Pixar film ever. Ever. Yes, I know about--shuttup! 'Dragon' is better.

Ah! I guess I do know one fantasy book series:

"Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser" --which, although not historical Vikings per say, do get their influence from all that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fafhrd_a...

Hope this helps!

message 5: by Nemi (new)

Nemi Sadly I have no book recommendations, but I can heartily recommend the indie strategy game The Banner Saga.

message 6: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments The Edda?

message 7: by Bree (last edited May 12, 2014 09:07AM) (new)

Bree (breeshan) | 27 comments Greta and the Goblin King takes place in a very cold world. There is a little romance, and bad guys, and a handsome Goblin King. I loved it.

message 8: by Philippa (new)

Philippa | 143 comments Shadyia wrote: "I'm sorry to keep recommending movies, but, I guess there is "Eric the Viking"

...and if you want very light, there is "How to Train Your Dragon" --wh..."

I think you meant DreamWorks, not Pixar.

message 9: by Keidy (new)

Keidy | 313 comments You know, there are lists here on Goodreads that can help you out here that are awesome. On the top of the page click on the arrow button next to "Explore" and then click on "Listopia". From there you can use keywords to aid in your search lists that are in your interest. The search box is allll the way on the top right corner.

For example here's a page of lists that I've gotten from using the keyword "norse": https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8...

Hope this helps you out. ^_^

message 10: by T.S. (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 163 comments Philippa wrote:I think you meant DreamWorks, not Pixar.

True! I sit corrected!~

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin (erincrites) | 17 comments Try The Norse Kings Daughter. I don't remember the author but I bet you can find it on here. I read it a few years ago and remember really enjoying it. It is Viking themed.

message 12: by Janessa (new)

Janessa (labyrinth001) Shadyia wrote: "I'm sorry to keep recommending movies, but, I guess there is "Eric the Viking"

...and if you want very light, there is "How to Train Your Dragon" --wh..."

I appreciate the movie recommendations, as well :-) I LOVE How to Train Your Dragon...because dragons are one of my favorite things in the world.

message 13: by Janessa (new)

Janessa (labyrinth001) Bree wrote: "Greta and the Goblin King takes place in a very cold world. There is a little romance, and bad guys, and a hansom Goblin King. I loved it."

I will definitely look into that one! I love the sound of it.

message 14: by Janessa (new)

Janessa (labyrinth001) Keidy wrote: "You know, there are lists here on Goodreads that can help you out here that are awesome. On the top of the page click on the arrow button next to "Explore" and then click on "Listopia". From there ..."

That is helpful, thank you :-) I often use goodreads from my phone, and I don't know if there is a way to use listopia from the goodreads app?

message 15: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) Swan Road is a great Norse romance. It really gives insights to the culture and the mythology of gods.

message 16: by Keidy (new)

Keidy | 313 comments Janessa wrote: "That is helpful, thank you :-) I often use goodreads from my phone, and I don't know if there is a way to use listopia from the goodreads app?"

I have no idea. I never used the app version of Goodreads so your guess is as good as mine. ^_^;

message 17: by Bree (last edited May 08, 2014 06:45PM) (new)

Bree (breeshan) | 27 comments Skyrim - Basic Enchanting and Soul Gem Guide by Billy Mays

Here is an uber cute Viking! He is from the video game Skyrim.

BlueBlueberryBlues | 1 comments I've had my eyes on this book for a little while now but I have yet to buy it:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
the Gospel of Loki, I think it's written in Lokis perspective :)

message 19: by Claire (new)

Claire O Leary (claireyostereo) | 1 comments ive always enjoyed the viking saga series by tim severin.

message 20: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (emberlin) I completely adored Giants of the Frost by Kim Wilkins , and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw your topic in the list. I'm glad to see people are still taking notice of it. The e-book is relatively expensive for an older book, but I never see the physical books by Kim Wilkins anywhere anymore, probably because she's an Australian author. I also recommend The Autumn Castle by Kim Wilkins even though it is not in the Norse romance genre.

message 21: by Helen (new)

Helen | 83 comments I enjoyed All The Windwracked Stars by Elizabeth Bear. It's influenced heavily by Norse mythology and the protagonist is the last of the Valkyries, although most of the story is set in a post-Ragnarok cyberpunk-meets-magic city. There's a romantic element but it's definitely fantasy, not a romance novel.

The prequel, By The Mountain Bound, is set in a pre-Ragnarok Valhalla and is all about gods and Valkyries, but I haven't read that one.

message 22: by Corrina (last edited May 23, 2014 04:44PM) (new)

Corrina Lawson | 54 comments I love Vikings the show! Wonderful, though it requires careful watching.

I'm also found of the History Channel episode of Barbarians that focuses on the Vikings--but there's also an episode that focuses on Ivar the Boneless and his invasion of the North of England that might be of interest to everyone who likes The Vikings.

I have written a couple of Viking romantic adventure books myself, basically because it gave me an excuse to research the culture and I'm always happy to see my research validated on the Viking show. :) Anyway, if any of you are interested in my stuff, feel free to email me off-list and I'd be happy to send people an ecopy, gratis.