She-Geeks discussion

Comic Books > Comic Stores Closing

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments My 2 closest comics stores both closed in the last couple months. Thankfully my favorite location - and the most well-stocked - is still going strong.

This may be related to the rising availability of e-comics, just like how ebooks are putting Barnes and Noble and other large paperback retailers out of business. I have to admit I rarely buy traditional paperbacks anymore, but I DO still prepare paper comics. Digitial just doesn't do it for me when it comes to this medium. Perhaps it's because every comic is a little work or art you get to keep. Hmmm

Do you prefer e-comics or paper comics? Are comics stores closing in your town?

message 2: by Grace (last edited May 06, 2014 07:37AM) (new)

Grace (Fives) | 33 comments I like paper comics, and actually hate Ebooks, though my mom owns an Ereader, almost no one uses it. I love to have the book in my hands, and to turn the pages without something accidently copying something. Also, if you're a collector, like my sister, you'll want the real thing.
None of the comic book stores around me have closed. Though I only have 2 near by me. Thankfully, they have been doing good business.

message 3: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments I used to hate ebooks too but the convenience of the ereader won me over. Still, I buy real copies of the books I love best.

I know Comixology has a lot of free issues of ecomics. That could be handy for trying out a new series.

I'm glad to hear your comics stores are all intact. Maybe it's a TX thing, these closures.

message 4: by KWinks (new)

KWinks   (icameheretoread) | 60 comments My nearest comic book store is almost 40 minutes away. If one was closer, I would probably be broke. HA HA. I mostly make due with the library and the brilliance that is inter-library loan to try new series. I have yet to read an e comic. I should at least try it.

message 5: by Bookwatcher (new)

Bookwatcher  (bookwatcher) | 8 comments Oh. Here in Milan too! One of my favorite comic store closed!
I believe the main problem here is not ebook, because as you said comic book readers prefer paper not digital... Here the main problem is amazon. I bough all Blame! from my comic book shop, for sentimental reasons... Buying then from amazon I would save money (two or one euro less for each) AND free shipping to my house! How can bookshop owners compete with it?
I still buy from my comic book shops, but amazon would make me save money...

message 6: by Ma'Belle (new)

Ma'Belle (linguisticness) | 54 comments The primary place I go for comics is the Denver Public Library. Occasionally I'll just look around the extensive "graphic novels" section and load my arms up with things I hadn't heard about. Usually I put them on hold from home, using Inter Library Loan if necessary, so I can get several sequential trade collections at once. If I really love and want to re-read and share a comic, I'll buy the trades on Amazon or look for it at a local used book store.

I live a few miles from the largest comic book store in North America and I've never set foot in it because I've always heard the owner and most of the staff are assholes to customers. I go to the library and used book stores not only because they're significantly cheaper, but because the people who work there have soul and close interest in their trade. I thought Barnes and Nobles and Borders were going out of business because they were so gigantic, overpriced, AND lacked heart. Basically, the inevitable downfall of Empire.

I bought a Kindle (Fire HD) more than a year ago with the intent of using it to read ebooks and comics, but I rarely use it for that. I've downloaded literally over 700 gigabytes of comics to have a backup archive and to catch up on really old comics that have been out of print and won't see a re-release any time soon. If I can't get something within a week or two from the library and I need to read it for a book club or other immediate interest, I'll read it on my large desktop computer monitor or, preferably, my Kindle. The Kindle at least allows me to hold it close to my face, use natural gestures to turn the pages, zoom in on certain things, and read AFK.

The one book I've found so far where it's advantageous to have the digital version is Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction - there are soooo many brilliant jokes that you either need a magnifying glass or an e-reader to see.

So I'm not really giving my money to Local Comic Shops, and yes, the only one within walking distance of me went out of business about 5 years ago. But it's not because I'm switching to digital, by any means. I'll always prefer pulpy, physical object books that have been handled and read by others before me, and to return them to the cycle when I'm done with them.

message 7: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments I hadn't thought of borrowing comics from libraries. Good idea for series I'm not sure I want to buy.

message 8: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments Bookwatcher wrote: "Oh. Here in Milan too! One of my favorite comic store closed!
I believe the main problem here is not ebook, because as you said comic book readers prefer paper not digital... Here the main problem ..."

I did the same thing, bought the Preacher comics from a loccal store to support them. I love Amazon for the pricing competition though.

message 9: by Ma'Belle (new)

Ma'Belle (linguisticness) | 54 comments Soo many people seem to be surprised by the idea of going to the library for comics. It's been my go-to place for the last 9 years, ever since I first checked out Absolute Sandman Volumes 1-3 and became hooked on comics. I decided I didn't want to spend $400 every time there was a series I really liked (or even $60, which is still a lot for a story book you might read in an afternoon, and that's if you find the cheapest trade paperbacks!).

Here in Denver the curators at the public library are getting better every year, and even have entire lists set up of, say, comics with queer characters, comics featuring female protagonists, and they pre-order 95% of independent comics that get any level of critical acclaim as long as it's published widely enough.

It was frustrating all those years ago when I was first reading through The Invisibles and volumes 5 and 6 would arrive weeks before ILL was able to track down and ship me volume 2 from somewhere like Ames, Iowa. But I think they've learned to buy a lot more of the books that people love.

University libraries, even in otherwise small towns, usually have pretty good comic and graphic novel selections, and often have ways to check them out if you live in the community but don't attend the school.

message 10: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments I hope so, Shanna! Some things are better in their non-electronic form.

Mabel, that's cool. Now that comics are more popular they must have a better selection. I always loved going to the library. It has that same comfort aspect that a bookstore has. It's been too long.

message 11: by Grace (last edited May 08, 2014 12:41PM) (new)

Grace (Fives) | 33 comments Mabel wrote: "Soo many people seem to be surprised by the idea of going to the library for comics. It's been my go-to place for the last 9 years, ever since I first checked out Absolute Sandman Volumes 1-3 and b..."

Ah, the library... That's where I started getting into comics. Every comic I ever read, I got from the library. The comics I buy I first read at the library. It is just a whole lot easier than buying the comics, and since I am still a kid, my mom won't buy me millions of comics of course. When my library got more money to buy new books, they started getting new comic such as the walking dead, Which I love, it a whole lot easier than going to the comic shop and try to remember what issue the last volume I read ended it... But still, I go to comic stores when I can and buy at least one comic.

message 12: by KWinks (last edited May 08, 2014 05:44PM) (new)

KWinks   (icameheretoread) | 60 comments Update: while I still support going to the library (mine just ordered The Superior Foes of Spiderman!!!) I posted earlier that I had never tried an ecomic. So, I ordered up the lovely Comixology app for the Kindle and in like ten minutes flat I was ten bucks broker BUT I discovered:
Wake issue one, Lazarus issue one (which I'm still hoping is our June read), and RAT QUEENS (squee)! With Wake, especially, I was super glad for the extreme zoom in. While I still prefer paper comics, the e-comic was not bad. I do plan on being a lot poorer very soon as my wish list is now insane.
What I really wish is that there was a manga equivalent, because sometimes the library just can't hunt down the title we picked to read. Or the waiting list is ridonk (case in point, Attack on Titan). If they were say two bucks a pop, I would read a ton more manga digitally.

message 13: by Amara (new)

Amara (cryptidamara) You know now that I think about it where I live there seems to be an abundance of comic book stores. In fact not even two minutes away from where I live now there are two different ones, one that sells primarily American comics and one that specializes in manga/anime specifically. And then the further north you go there are more and more. It's funny because I primarily buy them digitally these days.

I think there are some books that a digital copy just lends absolutely no credit to. The art styles on Hawkeye and Umbral for example are so heavily stylized that in a digital format they almost look a little…sloppy? If that makes sense? I feel like I can appreciate them better when holding a physical copy.

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frejafolkvangar) | 111 comments There were three comic book stores in my old college town, one the stereotypical store with musty boxes of back issues where everyone assumed my ovaries and I had wandered in by accident, one that also carried graphic novels/manga/board games/dice/Japanese candy, and one that barely sold comics at all but loaded up on geek paraphernalia. My hometown just got a comic book store last fall (previously I had to drive 45 minutes to get to one).

message 15: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments Shannon wrote: "...one the stereotypical store with musty boxes of back issues where everyone assumed my ovaries and I had wandered in by accident ..."

LOL :D

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frejafolkvangar) | 111 comments I won the stereotypical store over... Eventually. I corrected the owner on his pronunciation of Ra's al Ghul and it was like a giraffe had just walked in and slapped him. Then later he was saying how his sister's kid did a mural for them once and drew a black Catwoman before Halle Barry and how odd that was and I was like, "Eartha Kitt..." Then I bought a couple trades when he was having a sale and now he respects me/will actually talk to me/no longer thinks I wandered in by accident.

message 17: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments Shannon wrote: "I won the stereotypical store over... Eventually. I corrected the owner on his pronunciation of Ra's al Ghul and it was like a giraffe had just walked in and slapped him. Then later he was saying h..."

Triumph! :D

message 18: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments Chimney wrote: "Comic stores are closing in my area as well. The one I actually had my pull list closed not to long ago with hardly any warning at all. I just went to the mall one day to pick up some of my comics ..."

Hey Chimney!
On the bright side, I noticed a new (to me at least) store near my house.

message 19: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments I'm happy to find one the comics stores I saw closing has actually moved to a larger location. Whoop!