She-Geeks discussion

Deadman Wonderland, Vol. 1 (Deadman Wonderland, #1)
This topic is about Deadman Wonderland, Vol. 1
Manga > May 2014 Read: Deadman Wonderland

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments Comment away...

message 2: by KWinks (new)

KWinks   (icameheretoread) | 60 comments Sometimes surprises show up in my library delivery bag. Who ordered Deadman Wonderland Vols 1 and 2? Don't know, don't care. I took them home and read them in a single sitting. Now I'm working my way through the anime.

So, DW starts out like every school manga on the planet:
a class is preparing to take a field trip. Only everything goes wrong.

Here's the thing. This manga is gross. It goes places you wish it hadn't and it doesn't hand out answers like candy (Pun? Ha!) I think it's smart, calculating, and takes chances. I think it has the potential to be a new Death Note.

Now I usually judge a manga by it's story and then by it's art.
I have to give a huge thumbs up on the illustrations.
Wonderland is horrific, Ganta and Shiro are both really individualized (well, Shiro's outfit would stick out anywhere).

It matches the dark tone of the story really well.
My current problem is that I forget where the first volume cuts off, so if I think I'm going to give a spoiler, I write a warning.

message 3: by KWinks (new)

KWinks   (icameheretoread) | 60 comments No takers on this one? Sad, it's getting mad rave reviews. I had a chance to check out the anime and it is also pretty great.

message 4: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash | 39 comments Sorry, I know this is a bit late, but I was hooked on Deadman Wonderland from start to finish, both manga & anime. Great, individual characters, original story, extremely sad & tragic a lot of the time, but w/o giving away spoilers I thought the author did a perfect job with the ending. In my top ten, if not top five of manga & anime.