Contemporary Lovers discussion

May - Love Letters to the Dead > Spoiler discussion for pages 240 to 323

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jay (new)

Jay | 68 comments Mod
This is based on the US edition. We are basically splitting the book into almost 4 equal parts. The US edition is 323 pages.

You can discuss the full book with spoilers here!

Overgroundrailroad    (shelveswithinmyreach) | 4 comments Do you like how the book ended? I thought it ended very well. I liked that Laurel was going to being to be herself and not May.

message 3: by Jay (new)

Jay | 68 comments Mod
Danshi wrote: "Do you like how the book ended? I thought it ended very well. I liked that Laurel was going to being to be herself and not May."

I know! I had goosebumps when I finished the last page. Very fitting I think. It isn't a happily ever after but it is realistic and bittersweet for everyone.. Laurel's friends, her parents, and Laurel herself.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked the book and how it ended. I agree with the people that wrote on the other discussion pages though. I often forgot who Laurel was writing to. I would have liked the story just fine if it was just her writing to her own diary or something. I didn't necessarily care for the 'dead celebrity' connection.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Amanda wrote: "I liked the book and how it ended. I agree with the people that wrote on the other discussion pages though. I often forgot who Laurel was writing to. I would have liked the story just fine if it wa..."

I was thinking the same thing about the letters and wondering how else that could've been written, to give the book the same effect... I think you're right about the diary format.

I do think in some letters it worked well, though. When Laurel got emotional about their deaths it really helped me see how she felt about May's. Sometimes it seemed like she transferred her pain of May's death to the person she was writing to and I enjoyed that aspect a lot.

Overgroundrailroad    (shelveswithinmyreach) | 4 comments I agree. I forgot that Laurel was writing to people. I kept thinking it was just 1st person.

message 7: by Jay (new)

Jay | 68 comments Mod
I said previously how I didn't find it necessary to write the letters to this or that since they didn't contribute to the story.. But as I read on.. Some letters really got to me. The Heath ledger one and building a drive in theatre for his daughter, Kurt and saying his daughter is better off without him but him being selfish and taking her innocence forever once he killed himself.. And lastly Janice Joplin (I think?) and her raising her daughters to think clapping is acceptance and what not. Some really sad and emotional stuff, especially the second half.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie Juhina wrote: "I said previously how I didn't find it necessary to write the letters to this or that since they didn't contribute to the story.. But as I read on.. Some letters really got to me. The Heath ledger ..."

I think she really showed in the last parts how their lives were alike to Laurel's and why she really decided to write to them. I'm still not sure if the format could have been better or not but I agree the last half was much better! I also really liked the one with Kurt, it was very emotional.

message 9: by Jay (new)

Jay | 68 comments Mod
Zoey wrote: "Juhina wrote: "I said previously how I didn't find it necessary to write the letters to this or that since they didn't contribute to the story.. But as I read on.. Some letters really got to me. Th..."

Yes! I also believe the second half was better written than the firt, especially when we actually connected with the celebrities stories and how similar they are to Laurel's

message 10: by Emily (last edited May 12, 2014 04:06PM) (new)

Emily Hays (emilyhays) I'm wondering how everyone feels on May's death. Do you think she intended to fall of the bridge or do you think it was an accident? I'm not really that sure about it. I was especially glad to hear that Laurel's parents was going to therapy, I think it's important for others reading this to realize that Laurel isn't just living through it all and is getting help to get through everything that has happened to her.

message 11: by Violet (new)

Violet (paperworldsandswirlsofink) | 6 comments I really liked how the book ended- I think it was a way for Laurel to be herself and come to terms with everything that had happened to her and May.

message 12: by Jay (new)

Jay | 68 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "I'm wondering how everyone feels on May's death. Do you think she intended to fall of the bridge or do you think it was an accident? I'm not really that sure about it. I was especially glad to hear..."

That's actually a really good question.. I honestly think she didn't jump.. She might have stumbled or the wind blew too hard.. It's hard to find out exactly because laurel always shows us the scene with an ethereal feel.. The whole wings and such.. But personally, I don't think she committed suicide.. She loves laurel too much to do that to her

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie Emily wrote: "I'm wondering how everyone feels on May's death. Do you think she intended to fall of the bridge or do you think it was an accident? I'm not really that sure about it. I was especially glad to hear..."

I kind of like how this was left open-ended. I do believe she jumped, though, due to the stress of the situation and what Laurel told her. I think May had a hard life beyond what we can know, since the book is in Laurel's point of view and she's had such an unrealistic idea of her sister for so long.

What do you think happened? And also, I'm glad as well about the therapy aspect. She clearly wasn't fully recovered and I liked that it ended on the note that she was getting help, instead of figuring it out all on her own.

message 14: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Emily wrote: "I'm wondering how everyone feels on May's death. Do you think she intended to fall of the bridge or do you think it was an accident? I'm not really that sure about it. I was especially glad to hear..."

I think it was an unfortunate accident. I don't think she committed suicide.

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex I do actually think May jumped, and I do think it was because of what Laurel had told her. All her life, May was just trying to make the world a beautiful and safe place for her little sister, in a way she was trying to protect her from all the evil in the world, and she kind of succeeded at that as well. But when the thing with Billy happened, and May founf out, she felt like she had failed. She had not been able to protect her little sister and moreover, she had gone away with her boyfriend, leaving her alone with Billy so many times, so she must have felt unbearably guilty. I think she couldn't stand having done that to her sister, so she jumped.

message 16: by Jay (new)

Jay | 68 comments Mod
The topic of whether May jumped or not is going to be interesting to discuss in the liveshow when many more people are present at the same time.

message 17: by NoRa (new)

NoRa How old is Laurel? Did she ever mentioned it? And the thing about May, she wants to protect Laurel but at the same time she's the one who can't keep her desires under control. Probably its due to stress and the fact that she thinks she's an 'unplanned baby'. These factors including the thoughts of Laurel ending up being like her made me think that May jumped. OR PLOT TWIST: May IS a fairy with wings and didn't die :P

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie NoRa wrote: "How old is Laurel? Did she ever mentioned it? And the thing about May, she wants to protect Laurel but at the same time she's the one who can't keep her desires under control. Probably its due to s..."

I'm thinking the same thing, she was just so spontaneous. I don't think she would have thought it through before jumping.

Also I'm pretty sure Laurel was a freshman in high school which would make her 13-14.

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex Yeah at some point she talked about how her friends had turned 15 at the beginning of the year so they could get their license and it sounded very much like she was not 15 yet, so I'm assuming she's 14

message 20: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria  Ang  (thebooksbuzz) | 5 comments Finished the book. It was an amazing tearjerker!
Please join my site with google connect by clicking 'join site' on right side.

Check out my review here: http://thebooksbuzz.blogspot.com/2014...

message 21: by Molly (new)

Molly (augustwatersismyinfinity) | 5 comments I actually ended up liking Laurel a lot at the end! I take back what I said at the beginning! I actually cried a little when I figured out what happened. I not having a sibling myself, found their relationship amazing.

message 22: by Jay (new)

Jay | 68 comments Mod
Molly wrote: "I actually ended up liking Laurel a lot at the end! I take back what I said at the beginning! I actually cried a little when I figured out what happened. I not having a sibling myself, found their ..."

i was reading your comments and i was thinking "she'll come around.. i was also frustrated with Laurel in the beginning" and i'm glad you ended up liking her.

message 23: by NoRa (new)

NoRa What do u all thing about Laurel's suicide attempt when she was with Sky? Did any of u think she was gonna jump?

message 24: by Alex (new)

Alex NoRa wrote: "What do u all thing about Laurel's suicide attempt when she was with Sky? Did any of u think she was gonna jump?"

No, I definitely don't think so. Was that the night when she was on drugs? I'm pretty sure it was either that or she was very drunk and I think that was the only reason she got up on that balcony or whatever it was

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I was sincerely worried that Laurel would end up killing herself by the end of the book, especially since I personally think that May killed herself. (right in front of Laurel... right after Laurel opened up about an ongoing, traumatic event... Urgh. I am not a fan of May.) I wasn't totally convinced that Laurel _wouldn't_ kill herself until I finished the very last page.

message 26: by Giselle (new)

Giselle (itsmegiselle) | 32 comments Mod
Just finished it and I was waiting for this epic conclusion but I guess my expectations were too high.. I really have to stop that. The ending was okay for me. She got help and was on her way to recovery.

The writing finally amped up in the second half of the novel since everything was finally revealed about May's death. There was so little to see of May because we were in her head and heart of Laurel who idolized her sister so much.

In my opinion, I think it would have been a lot stronger to have a Dear Diary format of BOTH May and Laurel, then it would have rounded out the story very well. Unless there's a companion novel?

I still don't see the significance of the letters to the celebrity figures until the end because she starts depicting how death relates to their life and to hers. And the pacing of both past and present supremely annoyed me because I was constantly trying to remember what was going on.

I really hope I'm not the only one who was very frustrated with these characters. Characters who don't think about repercussions before they act. I also felt Sky and Laurel's relationship to be completely secondary. This book is about sisters and their relationship which I loved so much. Maybe if Laurel explored who her sister really was instead of the version she knew then it would have grabbed me. But mostly I was bored. This is my problem with contemporary fiction.

Interesting to see how the liveshow will go since I will be in the minority lol

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Giselle wrote: "Just finished it and I was waiting for this epic conclusion but I guess my expectations were too high.. I really have to stop that. The ending was okay for me. She got help and was on her way to re..."

You are not in the minority. I gave it the same rating and felt the same as you.

message 28: by Giselle (new)

Giselle (itsmegiselle) | 32 comments Mod
@Amanda: oh yay! I always feel like I would be. It's a relief to know I'm not alone