What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > Two Civil War women (1 nurse, 1 disguised soldier) /s

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jilly (last edited May 05, 2014 06:31PM) (new)

Jilly Bennett It's about two women, one is a nurse, one is a very tall homely woman who disguises herself as a man and becomes a soldier.

I know I recently (within the last 2 years) read this book.

It is adult historical fiction but I would def say published within the last 5 years or so. I feel like I bought it at the airport, so it's not some small-time book.

It is NOT "My Name is Mary Sutter" or "I Shall Be Near to You" or "Wedded to War"

BUT - I feel like the nurse's story is similarly based on Mary Sutter or maybe Georgeanna Woolsey. Very similar. More dramatic / fictional than "My Name Is.." though.

The two women's paths do intersect towards the end.

There is a romance with the nurse and a doctor, love also blooms (one way) with the disguised female soldier and her battle buddy (who dies).

I seem to remember the novel switching character's views maybe every other chapter.

HELP!!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32062 comments Mod
Echoes of Dark and Light by Chris Shanley-Dillman? Here's a review on Amazon:

"Bobbi starts out in search of her brother, Robert, who went missing during the Battle of Gettysburg. In her heart she knows he's still alive, so disguises herself as a boy to join the Union Army.
After an adventurous train ride, then journey on foot, Bobbi finds herself with the 27th and is assigned to bunk with Toby. Toby is seriously my new heart throb. He's sweet and optimistic despite the war and carnage he is surrounded by. Being from Texas, he has abandoned his home and family to fight for the Union army. This alone reflects how big of a heart he has, and how determined he is.
Bobbi also makes friends with a nurse, Cora, who almost immediately picks up the fact that she is female. Cora helps her hide certain female habits and gets her through some tough times adjusting to army life.
There are other great characters too; sweet Woody, brave Kenny and many more.
All in all, an enjoyable read. Being Aussie, I don't know a whole lot about the American Civil War, so I used good old google maps to help me with the locations. I believe this would be a good read for teens who have no real interest in history as a means to pique their interest. Bobbi is strong and easy to relate to, especially as she goes through her emotional dilemmas that would naturally come up during war time."

message 3: by Marisa (last edited May 06, 2014 11:08AM) (new)

Marisa (marisasorenson) | 226 comments I know this one!! I'm pretty sure it's Fire by Night!

message 4: by Jilly (new)

Jilly Bennett Marisa! Yes!!!!! THAT'S IT!!!! THANK YOUUUUUUUU!!!