What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Lost Race of Mars
This topic is about Lost Race of Mars
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. 1970's children's book about living on Mars...[s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracie (new)

Tracie (traesi) | 18 comments Hi... I just watched Gravity and it reminded me of a book I read in about 6th grade in the late 1970's. The premise was that families were recruited to go live on Mars. (I think... maybe the moon?) The main character's dad was some kind of scientist. I believe there were aliens involved, like maybe the main character "meets" an alien and they become friends.

When I picture the cover, it seems like it was orange or tan and black, with maybe the main kid looking out and seeing the alien friend in the distance.

Any ideas?

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill | 69 comments Was the book The Lost Race of Mars by Robert Silverberg?
(https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...)
Here's a cover shot from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Race-Mars-...

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
That was my thought too, Jill.

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill | 69 comments Interesting timing on this request because I was trying to locate a book myself a few weeks ago and The Lost Race of Mars was one that was suggested. We found a copy and my son just finished reading it--he said it matched what was mentioned and the cover is very much like described above. It didn't turn out to be what I was looking for but hope it ends up being the right one for Traesi.

message 5: by Tracie (new)

Tracie (traesi) | 18 comments Oh, my goodness, I think that's it!!! I didn't receive any email notification of your responses, or I would have replied earlier. My brother is going to be so happy. We were talking about it today (we are both in our mid-40's and can remember reading this, but not the title.)

You guys are amazing! Thank you so much!

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill | 69 comments Awesome Traesi!

message 7: by Tracie (new)

Tracie (traesi) | 18 comments My brother ordered a used copy. Thanks again!