SLCLS Genre Study discussion

Sci Fi Subgenres > Military Science Fiction

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina B (readinghonor) | 22 comments Definition:Science fiction with a distinctly military theme. Characters are usually members of a military organization and/or the plot will usually revolve around a military conflict. Expect duty, honor, heroism and other military cliches to abound.

Check out this Goodreads listopia list for books in this subgenre. https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina B (readinghonor) | 22 comments Question: Why does military science fiction often use time travel or alternate history settings? Share your theories. Do you know of an example where this is done well?

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina B (readinghonor) | 22 comments One thing mentioned in the training was the feminizing of science fiction. I think this might be most evident in military science fiction. There are a lot of female protagonists in this subgenre now. Who are you favorite female sci-fi characters? Honor Harrington is of course a big one, but I think my favorite is Sassinak by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Moon.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathernovotny) I love Esmay Suiza in Elizabeth Moon's Once a Hero.

My favorite military sf hero is Miles Vorkosigan. I LOVE Lois Bujold. Any other Bujold fans out there?

My husband and I both love sf, but he likes darker books than I do. Cary recommends Armor by John Steakley and The Forever War by Haldeman. Any military sf fans out there?

message 5: by Nanette (new)

Nanette | 28 comments I just started the Honor Harrington series since we started the genre study - have devoured all in the Honor series and now starting on the Honorverse break offs. Love them!

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina B (readinghonor) | 22 comments Nanette wrote: "I just started the Honor Harrington series since we started the genre study - have devoured all in the Honor series and now starting on the Honorverse break offs. Love them!"

I'm so glad you've found something you love! Honor Harrington is one of my favorites. I also like Weber's Safehold Series and the new teen series he's doing in the honorverse about Stephanie Harrington.

message 7: by Nanette (new)

Nanette | 28 comments I'll keep those in mind when I'm ready to move on.