Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Can't add paperback because the ISBN is on the ebook

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silea (new)

Silea | 3 comments I'm trying to add the paperback version of Off to be the Wizard, by Scott Meyer. However, whoever added it as an ebook stuck the ISBN on it instead of the ASIN. How can this be fixed?

message 2: by Deon (new)

Deon (deonva) | 3389 comments what isbn are you talking about?

message 3: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments are you talking about this edition?

https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

message 4: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments if so, it's a valid ebook edition. ebooks get ISBNs, not ASINs.

message 5: by Silea (new)

Silea | 3 comments Well, the problem seems to be fixed now - there are multiple format options now instead of just the eBook.

My question may be more general, then. There was only an eBook version. I wanted to add the paperback version. When following what appeared to be the correct path (add a new edition), it asked for an ISBN, which i couldn't provide because if i did it told me that ISBN already existed. Should i have added it without ISBN? Or was i doing the wrong thing from the start? (I have tried searching for help on this topic, but my google-fu is subpar.)

message 6: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments if you try to add an ISBN and you get the 'already exists' error, then you should definitely STOP adding an edition, search the goodreads site by that ISBN, and see whether or not what comes up is what you're trying to add. often this happens when books have been mis-added under the wrong author name, for instance.

i believe that the ebook edition you initially saw was off on the wrong profile. Deon (I think?) had to fix the spelling of the author name to get it under the right profile and then combine it with the other editions. that's why you now have more options than just ebook.

and FYI, whenever you add a new edition of a book to the database, you will always need to post a request in this group to have it combined with the existing editions. only librarians have the ability to combine editions.