THE Group for Authors! discussion

Writer's Circle > Please Help!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) Cian wrote: "I'm writing a story, is ok to do something like this. (Ignore the numbers just used to show where story would be)

"1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10"

* Ten Days Later *

"1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10""

Are you asking if it's okay to use the asterisks?
You can if you want, but I think the standard might be to just use italics. That's what I did.

message 2: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) Cian wrote: "Also I had this idea for an ending.

Ending.

"Breaking news in the last hour. Following thorough investigation into the strange, unprecedented virus out break that rabies were intentionally placed..."

It's hard to judge an ending without knowing what happened before it, but that could be a nice surprise at the end.

Definitely a horrifying thought. :)

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy Kelly | 15 comments If it's ten days later, you need to double space before the first set of numbers and the ten days later.

message 4: by Jack (new)

Jack Knapp | 778 comments Mod
Readers always love a surprise?
Definitely not always! I posted a cliffhanger where it appeared the MC had been killed; no body, only his enemies say he's dead, but wow, the firestorm!
I toned down the cliffhanger, made it obvious the MC would be back in book two. But I won't make THAT mistake again!
Michael McGarrity can kill off main characters; he does it in the series he's writing now, a few chapters following X and then boom, he's dead. It's after a couple of those that you realize his 'main character' is the FAMILY he's following.
He's good; if you've never discovered McGarrity, google him. And best of all, buy/read his books. If police procedurals/mysteries with a western flavor interest you, you won't be sorry.

message 5: by Jack (new)

Judy wrote: "If it's ten days later, you need to double space before the first set of numbers and the ten days later."

Or use an 'action break'. I'm currently separating elements that occur within a chapter by a centered '#'. The reason for doing it this way is some conversions strip out one of the return-return spaces. So using something as a placeholder works better, in my experience.

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy Kelly | 15 comments Cian wrote: "Judy I have changed it to 2 weeks"

Cian, you still need a double space break. A double space break indicates a change in POV and a change in time.

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles Garard (goodreadscomcharles_garard) | 142 comments I used to do that too - only use double space breaks to indicate change of POV. If publishing on Amazon-Kindle, this seemed to enough. However, it seems to be a new ballgame with Smashwords, which I am going to try out this time. Reportedly, if you only use a double space and not a * or a #, the pages may run together with some publishing formats that Smashwords sends ebooks to.

message 8: by Charles (new)

Charles Garard (goodreadscomcharles_garard) | 142 comments Re: above -- I meant to write "seemed to be enough." Sorry.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I have just received a contract offer for Lethal Force, in the post this morning, from Austin Macauley.
My issue is, what are the experiences of other authors regarding this publisher.
I will confess, all I want to do is write and entertain, I have no financial need to sell, but that appears to be the only way to judge success (number of sales). It also creates the illusion of credibility.
I hate the waste of time in "social marketing" and feel my best hope of achieving my goals is getting the publisher to do it all.
I am somewhat surprised, and suspicious, that this is the first Publisher I contacted, just over a month ago. I was away on holiday for some of that time and since I have returned, I have contacted other publishers and without exception, after my begging letter to read the first 3 chapters, they have asked for the full manuscript.
Is this all a con?
I need guidance, being new to this phase of the writing/publishing process.

message 10: by Jack (new)

I found this after a little searching:
"I contacted Victoria Strauss, who runs the excellent "Writer Beware" blog to find out whether she knew anything about this operation, since I couldn't find it mentioned on her "avoid" list. She got back to me very promptly:

"I've gotten scores of complaints about Austin Macauley--it's a very expensive vanity press that lures in inexperienced authors by presenting the impression of a traditional publisher. The pretense of "traditional mainstream" publishing is merely a marketing ploy--fee-based services are all it offers. I'm currently in the process of adding it to Writer Beware's Thumbs Down list.""

message 11: by Beverly (last edited Jun 11, 2014 08:11AM) (new)

Beverly Robb | 1 comments NEW AUTHOR ALERT: HI glad you are writing. I too am a new author (Beverly Robb) & new to the site. I currently have 2 books (series), LEGENDS OF BIG CREEK:THE ADVENTURES OF LITTLE BROOKS AND THE SKY PONY and LEGENDS OF BIG CREEK: BOOK 2 published by Authorhouse. UGH! I know, not the best house but had to do with what I could at the time. I am open to all pointers to help me get out there and marketing advice. If I can help any of you let me know.

Cian wrote: "I'm writing a story, is ok to do

something like this. (Ignore the numbers just used to show where story would be)

"1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10"

* Ten Days Later *

"1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10""

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul Spence (paulbspence) | 3 comments Hi Cian,

There no hard and rules for how to scene breaks. Some use double line, some asterisks.

I use this:

centered, when working on the manuscript. It gets replaced with a short line by the publisher. You can do that yourself in word, or whatever word processor program you use, if self publishing.

As far skipping time, you can either state that time passes, or better yet, work it into the beginning of the next scene. I would do the latter, as it minimizes the disruption to the narrative flow.

example:

It had been tens days since...

or:

Almost two weeks had gone by and...

Really, it is whatever works best for your story.