A Foray Into Fantasy discussion

General > Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms (new)

Scott (scott18044) | 23 comments Mod
Hey everyone! Welcome to the Foray into Fantasy discussion group!

I'll begin... Hi! I'm Scott, a student from the UK. I read A LOT of fantasy fiction, as well as some historical fiction, classics and whatever else. My favourite series is almost certainly A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR. Martin, although I also enjoyed the Riftwar Cycle (Raymond E. Feist), the Farseer/ Liveship Traders/ Tawny Man trilogies (Robin Hobb) and the Riyria Revelations/ Chronicles (Michael J. Sullivan).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, I hope you have fun using this group! :)

message 2: by Ashley, Khaleesi across the Narrow Sea (new)

Ashley (ashleydpt) | 32 comments Mod
Hey! I'm Ashley! I'm from the US but live in Germany. I love to read and enjoy reading all sorts of genres, but my favorite is fantasy. The A Song of Ice and Fire series is one of my absolute favorites, and I enjoy books from Robin Hobb. There are so many series I want to read and not enough time in my day to do it all! But I am looking forward to discussing things here and meeting people :)

message 3: by Aditi (new)

Aditi (aditi95) | 1 comments Hello! I am Aditi, also known as Angie, and I currently live in Malaysia (though I'm moving to UK in less than 5 months). I am an Indian by origin but my family lives in Tanzania and that's where my home is! I love reading and writing, obviously. I love reading all genres except horror :) My favourite authors include JK Rowling, Veronica Roth, Agatha Christie, Suzanne Collins, Dan Brown, Jane Austen, James Patterson, Christopher Paolini, and Cornelia Funke among many many many others! Basically, I am a fiction freak, and I absolutely love reading the Fantasy genre :D

message 4: by Cas (new)

Cas Blomberg (casblomberg) Hi! I'm Cas and live in Sweden. I'm happy, love life, love being a mom and that about sums up my life at the moment =). I enjoy reading anything and everything (hmm, almost everything. I'm not a fan of werewolves. Sorry!) and am interested in all fantasy genres (except the werewolves) =). Good to be here and can't wait to meet some of y'all!

message 5: by Spenser (new)

Spenser Woodcock | 1 comments ello ello all. I'm Spenser and I live in the USA. I currently work for the US Government. (Nothing serious lol)I am a happily married man and a new father. My son is 10.5 weeks old and he is AMAZING! I read anything fantasy(I've even read twilight DX) Really just wanted to find other people out there who could give me some Idea's of books to read/listen to. I tend to go through 2-3 books a week and am Slowly running out of books lol.

message 6: by Ashley, Khaleesi across the Narrow Sea (new)

Welcome to all of the new members of the group! Happy to have you all here, please feel free to start topics in this group to discuss whatever book you're reading or a series you really enjoy! Looking forward to seeing everyone's thoughts!

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Mills | 1 comments Hi there,

I'm Jon. Always interested to discover new fantasy literature, and the people who read it. I particularly enjoy Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Ursula Le Guin, and of course Tolkien. I have also written a fantasy novel of my own, The Witch of Glenaster. Looking forward to exploring the group!

message 8: by Gary (new)

Gary Greetings Folks,

I happened on this group by looking through some posts about The Name of the Wind. I noticed that Goodreadian Renee is a member, and she's said some notably unstupid things in posts on yet another thread, so I figured I'd get into this here life raft with the rest of y'all....

I read a lot of F/SF. When it comes to fiction it's probably 75% of my reading. Favorites: Tolkien (duh), Zelazny, GRRM. Less favorite (but still read/have read lots of): Le Guin, Gene Wolf, Philip Dick.

Non-F/SF: McCarthy, Jeanette Winterson, Twain, Hunter S. Thompson, Mary Renault, Patrick O'Brian.

Feel free to friend me if you like. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on DragonLit!

message 9: by Tameri (new)

Tameri Etherton (tamerietherton) Hey Everyone!

I'm Tameri, a fantasy lover from Southern California. I'm always looking for new books to get lost in. Some of my favorite series are Brent Weeks, Brandon Sanderson, Kristin Britain, and Deborah Chester. I've got a great list from these introductions of writers I need to read.

I look forward to more inspiration!

message 10: by Gary (new)

Gary Tameri wrote: "Hey Everyone!

I'm Tameri, a fantasy lover from Southern California.

Hot enough for ya'? Yeesh. I'm melting.

message 11: by James (new)

James A. | 3 comments Hello
I'm Jim Connor from the wilds of Pennsylvania, and I have read epic fantasy since the day I picked up The Lord of the Rings to read on the bus to Camp Pendleton, praying all the while I didn't have to go to Vietnam. I love fantasy because it's utterly cool. And it's not hot here. The leaves are turning and fall is in the air. I love Tolkein, Sanderson, and yes, I'll fess up, a smattering of Paranormal romance.

message 12: by Ashley, Khaleesi across the Narrow Sea (new)

welcome, Chad! It's nice to have you here :) congrats on getting you work out there!

message 13: by Athanasios (new)

Athanasios Polychronopoulos (athanasios_9) | 2 comments Hello, hello all

I'm Athanasios Polychronopoulos. I love good stories. I enjoy discussing them, and appreciate when someone introduces me to them.

I tried writing one about twelve years ago. Epic Fail. i was ... how can i put it ... 'overly confident' at 18 yrs old.

Anyway, I love fantasy and historical fiction. I've enjoyed all genres, though.

I loved the works of GRRM JRRT Bernard Cornwell Pat. Rothfuss. Joe Abercrombie kurt vonnegut and others.

I have been back in Amagansett, NY (where i was raised) for a couple months now. This marks the longest i've been in one place in over 4 years. planes trains and automobiles are better with a good story. i've a few of my own, but i'm not good enough a writer to do any of them justice.

i'm new to good reads. thanks for including me in what seems to be a fun group.

Cheers

message 14: by Avery (new)

Avery Tingle (thegamerauthor) | 1 comments Hey all, my name's Avery, I live in the Seattle area and I'm a fan of well-executed stories. I'm a fantasy author and freelance writer trying to figure out exactly where I fit into the literary world even though I'm more into games and comics than actual books (I have ADHD, gimme a break). Trying to learn Goodreads see what the site is about. Nice to meet everyone!

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma Good evening everyone. My name is Emma and I live in North Wales. I love fantasy, horror and contemporary novels, but when it comes to long winter nights, I feel there is nothing better than sinking my teeth into a good fantasy series that keeps me going until spring arrives. I love George RR Martin, Robin Hobb and Terry Goodkind. I would love to read more, but, as most of you know work and life get in the way. Can't wait to get to know you guys and also get to read some authors I have not yet discovered. Have a great rest of your weekend x

message 16: by James (new)

James A. | 3 comments Hello to everyone. My name is Jim Connor and i live in Pennsylvania. I've been a fan of fantasy (are these words connected somehow?) since the summer I read The Lord of the Rings. I love just about anything in this genre, from Tolkein to George RR Martin (although he can be a bummer sometimes). Lately, I've been reading Lady Gregory's edition of Celtic tales. I finished the Mabinogion (for the fourth time) last month. I'm looking forward getting into it with all of you. Now, if only I could find a tankard of mead.

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma Wishing everyone a happy and healthy Christmas and New year. Sorry for not being that active on here but I have a very ill dog who at the moment is getting all of my attention. So if I don't comment for a while on BOTM etc, you know why.

Merry Christmas to you all xxxx

message 18: by Gary (new)

Gary Merry Christmas back at you, Emma.

And happy Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah, Joyous Festivus, Happy Boxing Day, and Happy Holidays to anything/one I might have missed (plus, apologies for my general tardiness.)

message 19: by Ashley, Khaleesi across the Narrow Sea (new)

Happy Holidays to everyone :) I know, it's the generic, cheaters way out, but that's ok. I hope you have all had a wonderful December, looking forward to the new year (and lots of new books!)

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma Hi all. I'm back and ready to read loads!!!!

message 21: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Grissom | 1 comments Hi...My name is Chris, and I'm from the US. I love books, and I have a blog about them at www.dichotomyofsoul.wordpress.com
My favorite fantasy series is the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I'm happy to be apart of this group, and meet some wonderful people who love fantasy.

message 22: by C. (last edited Jun 30, 2015 01:40AM) (new)

C. Hi,I'm in the U.S. but wish it was New Zealand!

I am an avid reader and enjoy most genres,as long as the book is 'clean', but not full of religious proselytizing.

So far my favorite fantasy is The Hobbit and LOTR.I am on a quest to find more fantasy to read like LOTR with beautiful and good elves.

I have just put several on hold at my library~I do have Sword of Shannara and Tolkien's Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales on hold at my library, plus several newly discovered by Judith Tarr[Alamut, The Dagger and the Cross, and The Hound and the Falcon trilogy], plus Eragon(The Inheritance Cycle Book 1)by Christopher Paolini.

Also love Sci-Fi, but earth-based, like medical, or technothrillers. Just recently finished the awesome 'Robot Visions' by Isaac Asimov.

message 23: by Gary (new)

Gary Welcome to the unreal world, C!

message 24: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Garner (victorialynn603) | 1 comments Hello! I'm new here and high fantasy is my passion. Nice to meet you all!

message 25: by Gary (new)

Gary Welcome, Victoria. Nice to meetcha too!