I Love My Anythink discussion

What should I read? > Why comic books matter

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (last edited May 05, 2014 02:26PM) (new)

Erica | 51 comments Mod
Anythinker Michelle's list of reasons why comic books matter includes the following points:

-Comic books introduce kids to the idea of reading for pleasure. Kids get excited about reading as they await the next installment of their favorite comic book. Evidence shows that this excitement transfers to other formats of literature. Enjoying comics sets kids up to be lifelong readers.

-Comics help kids push their literacy skills to the max. Because comics support text with visual illustrations that give context clues, kids who read comics can actually read a full grade level higher than they normally would. This is contrary to the idea that comics are "dumbed down" versions of books. In fact, comics have been found to include vocabulary that is twice as complex than what's found in a typical chapter book. (See research by Stephen Krashen.)

-The multimodal nature of comic books develops kids' ability to integrate visual and textual information to understand a layered but unified concept. This is an important 21st-century skill as technology makes multimodal interfaces more and more common.

Find out more about why comic books matter, and which comic books and graphic novels she recommends for all age ranges: http://bit.ly/1okyuIm

What are your favorite graphic novels or comic books?

message 2: by Stacie, Official Anythink Ambassador (new)

Stacie (stacieadelia) | 72 comments Mod
I didn't get into graphic novels until I started working at Anythink. Some of our staff know this genre soooo well! They definitely inspired me to try some books I would have never thought to before. Definitely at the top of my list of graphic novels would be Watchmen and V for Vendetta, both Alan Moore (he's so brilliant!). Stitches by David Small was also fantastic, though very different in style.

message 3: by Lukas (new)

Lukas Holmes (lukasholmes) | 4 comments What a great post. I am an absolute fiend when it comes to graphic novels and the best place to get my fix is at the anythink library here in Brighton. What impresses me most about the medium is how many stories can be compellingly produced in this format only. If you're looking for a great non-superhero book, check out DAYTRIPPER.

message 4: by Stacie, Official Anythink Ambassador (new)

Stacie (stacieadelia) | 72 comments Mod
Thanks for the recommendation, Lukas. I just added to my to-read list!

message 5: by Angelita (new)

Angelita (ajramirez) | 2 comments The latest Comic/Graphic Novel I've read is "Avatar: The Last Airbender". They are definitely for the tween age, but if you loved the television show of the same name or The Legend of Korra, it's worth reading. The books bridge the gap between both television series. Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1

message 6: by Lukas (new)

Lukas Holmes (lukasholmes) | 4 comments Stacie wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation, Lukas. I just added to my to-read list!"

You will love it!

message 7: by Lukas (new)

Lukas Holmes (lukasholmes) | 4 comments Angelita wrote: "The latest Comic/Graphic Novel I've read is "Avatar: The Last Airbender". They are definitely for the tween age, but if you loved the television show of the same name or The Legend of Korra, it's w..."

My kids picked up an issue of that that at FREE COMIC BOOK DAY recently, so I hope they enjoy it and it gets them into some more reading.

message 8: by Lukas (new)

Lukas Holmes (lukasholmes) | 4 comments Also, a great one that really spoke to the kids in my life (and me) was I KILL GIANTS by Joe Kelly. It's all about loss and how scary unexpected aspects of childhood can be.

message 9: by Steph (new)

Steph Patt (steph_patt) | 4 comments What a great topic! I haven't read as many graphic novels as I would like, but my favorites are the ones that have characters from some of my favorite books in them. More specifically Mercy Thompson: Homecoming. I usually browse through the graphic novels at Wrights Farm when I get a chance. So far the selection has bee fairly good.