The Book Was Better discussion

BOOKS ON SCREEN > PRINCESS DIARIES

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1688 comments Mod
I think it must be a thing for Anne Hathaway to be in movies that are based off of books....that are completely different from the book that is! There's Devil Wears Prada, Ella Enchanted, and of course...Princess Diaries!

I finally got around to reading the series, and with only one to go I am shocked at how different they are!! The two biggest being that her dad is not dead in the books, and her Grandma is TERRIBLE!! They are fun books for sure though, with a lot of late 90's humor that made me remember when I was in high school as well. Although....book 7 and 8 focus a LOT on sex and stuff...and that was a little unneeded to me.

But the series is for sure a fun read, and I am glad that I finally took the time to check them out! :D

message 2: by Louisa (new)

Louisa Knight | 156 comments I loved the princess diaries but I was never really a fan of the films!

message 3: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I loved the first one, even though I now know they changed SO MUCH!! The second one was rather annoying for me though... I think I have only seen it once....

message 4: by Louisa (new)

Louisa Knight | 156 comments I think my reasoning for not enjoying the films so much is that I don't think that Anne Hathaway is a particularly good actress, but I agree the first was definitely better than the second

message 5: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I like her back in PD and even like Devil Wears Prada and stuff, but any of her newer stuff is not my cup of tea at all. I think PD was a good first movie for her, and she really did well as Mia. Well...then I read the books and don't know that she would have been my first choice, but since I saw the movies first, and a lot of times at that, it kind of stuck after that.....

message 6: by Louisa (new)

Louisa Knight | 156 comments Yeah I don't think she was bad in PD and I agree she did play the part well, I did think that she wasn't suited to any part in les mis though!

message 7: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I AGREE!!!!!! So much!!!! Although....there was not much of anything I liked about the movie...... UGH!

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophie_loves_books) | 7 comments I love those books so much :D
<3 The guy who hates the corn in the chilli :D
JP :D <3
I have seen both films, I agree 1st one was way better, however my favourite moment from the films is where they slide down on mattresses, its so awesome :D
+ I kinda think the sex stuff in 7 and 8 added a realistic element to them, I mean it wasn't like we got anything x-rated, Mia totally didn't want to give up her "precious gift" :)

message 9: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Yeah, I appreciated that she was not all about having sex, but there was still so much talk of it in those books! I was rather shocked, and felt that it made it a little less appropriate for it's reading age! I am glad I did not read it when I was younger! Although, when it was talked about again in the final book, I think they did a good job of making it more about love than just people wanting to make bad choices...well...aside from Lana who did not care what she did as long as it felt good or made her happy! haha

I wish they would have made the movies true to the books. I don't think they ever would have made them all, but it would be nice to see how they would have cast things differently without random added character like Jeremiah, and also how they would have brought in Tina and JP and everything! :)

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I read a couple of The Princess Diaries books, and I noticed they were completely different from the movies. I really enjoyed the second movie. Maybe I might get back into reading the sereies. I did enjoy reading it the first go around. Never got the chance to finish it.

message 11: by Louisa (new)

Louisa Knight | 156 comments It's never to late to start up again, they're fun and enjoyable (for me at least) :)

message 12: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

It only took me like 13 years to finally get around to reading them after thinking about doing so during high school. But, I am glad I did. At this point there were a lot of jokes that made me think back to high school when they were more current and all that. A lot of fun for sure!!

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary Bronson | 11 comments I did not like Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement because it was NOTHING like the series which made me very upset. It was an all right movie, but it has nothing to do with the books. I just found out that there is to be a new Princess Diaries book called The Royal Wedding where Mia is finally getting married to Michael. When I posted that on my Facebook page I got some comments like well in the movie Mia and Michael broke up and she was suppose to marry the Duke guy and I am like no, the movie and the book are two different things. The 2nd movie was "based on the characters" by Meg Cabot not "based on the novels"

message 14: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Yeah...even the first movie was SO DIFFERENT from the series. They took the general idea and ran with it, but everything with her dad and grandmother were NOTHING similar at all! Kind of annoying...but at the same time since I saw the movies first I was okay with liking them both as two totally separate things.... Cuz really the movies were NOT the books....

message 15: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Oh, and I am SOOOOOO excited about the new book!! Can't wait for the wedding and more Mia insanity!!

message 16: by Maria (last edited Jan 30, 2015 03:02PM) (new)

Maria | 6 comments Both the films and the books were fun, though pretty cheesy. And yes, they are nothing alike.