Fahrenheit 451 Fahrenheit 451 question

good classic book?
Erinlaurel Erinlaurel May 05, 2014 11:15AM
My New's Year resolution was to alternate reading between a classic book and a fluff book. The last couple of books I read were Fahrenheit 451, The Giver, and The Zoo. I'm looking for my next classic book, but I'm getting a little depressed with the doom and gloom books. Can anyone recommend an upbeat classic for me to read?

Kimberly (last edited May 12, 2014 03:34PM ) May 12, 2014 03:29PM   1 vote
Dickens and Twain, like most people on here have already recommended. Anything by Tolkien- The Hobbit would be especially great if you're tired of doom and gloom, it is one of my absolute favorite books. Also Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott, and The Chronicles of Narnia. As for Farenheit 451, I wasn't crazy about the writing style, but I thought the books had a lot of great things to say and I found it very thought provoking. It is a bit gloomy but it's a relatively short book and it's definitely worth reading.

Everyone should read Watership Down. Its not exactly happy and upbeat but it isn't doom and gloom either. A lot to do with hope and finding the good life.

Watership Down (Watership Down, #1) by Richard Adams

How about Jules Vernes? "Around the World in Eighty Days" and "Journey to the Center of the Earth" were a lot of fun. You could try a children's classic such as "The Secret Garden", although it starts of somewhat gloomy.

The Martian Chronicles is an amazing book, but my favorite classic novel will always be The Count of Monte Cristo.

MJ The Martian Chronicles is my favorite of Bradbury's. I second that suggestion! ...more
Aug 30, 2014 07:57AM · flag
M 25x33
Doug Another vote for The Martian Chronicles
Aug 30, 2014 08:32PM · flag

Thoreaus, "Waldens Pond" , optimistic, astute and no matter how many times I open this classic it is always though provking!

MJ (last edited Aug 29, 2014 06:54PM ) Aug 29, 2014 06:54PM   0 votes
Definitely

"The Adventures of Tom Sawyer"

by Mark Twain!

That book was so much fun!

I just read it this summer and couldn't have had more fun with it!

One of my favorites is Of Human Bondage. It's about unrequited love, primarily. It's not a happy book, obviously. lol. But it's well written and thought provoking.

I can only think of Peter Pan

From my 'classics I like best' shelf ;-)
To Kill a Mockingbird
Farnham's Freehold
From the Earth to the Moon
Dancing With Eternity
Alice in Wonderland
Robinson Crusoe
Any/all of the Sherlock Holmes original books.
Believe it or not Edgar Allen Poe wrote many, many short stories and humor. I would seek out his books as well.
Happy reading!

Yikes! Those are upbeat? Well, yes, some of them are.
Let me add a list:
Ella Minnow Pea
Dandelion Wine
The Jungle Book
Three Men in a Boat

Something by Dickens or Jane Austen?

Arsene Lupin
The Complete Sherlock Holmes
Daddy-Long-Legs
Murder at the Vicarage
as well as other Agatha Christie mysteries.

Dorothy Sayers has a series of mysteries involving Lord Peter Wimsey.
More recent is Connie Willis: Bellwether and To Say Nothing of the Dog among others.

Ethan Frome
The hour before the dawn: a novel

The Mayor of Casterbridge
The mysterious island
The prince and the pauper
The prince and the pauper

More Than Human is what you are looking for. :-)

That's a lot of choices for you. So I don't overwhelm you any more than you already must be, let me second Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday, The Hobbit and A Connecticut Yankee. In fact, I'm such a huge Twain fan, that I have to add the Diaries of Adam and Eve. They're two connected short stories, and I found them to be laugh-out-loud funny!

I am doing the same thing, but started a couple of years back. It is suprisingly hard to think of up beat ones, doom and gloom seems to be a theme within alot of classics. But one hundred years of solitude is very good, lots of magic and humour (maybe a little bit of doom and gloom to!) or if you want very happy (almost too much) then anne of green gables. I read this after a few very depressing and dark books nd it really cheered me up !

deleted member May 07, 2014 07:57AM   0 votes
I'm reading Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. It's hilarious, short and is a classic by an awesome author. Give it a shot :)

Erinlaurel wrote: "My New's Year resolution was to alternate reading between a classic book and a fluff book. The last couple of books I read were Fahrenheit 451, The Giver, and The Zoo. I'm looking for my next cla..."

How about the Barsetshire novels by Trolloppe?

A few more fun classics would be:

Treasure Island
The Hobbit
White Fang
The Time Machine

They're not exactly tough reads, but they definitely get away from the doom and gloom mindset. I'd recommend going with Treasure Island to just have an entertaining journey.