American Gods: All Gaiman, All The Time discussion

Where Do I start?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynecia (new)

Lynecia (luvnecia) Hi Everyone!

I've never read ANY Neil Gaiman before, but really want to start; I've heard so much about his work through booktube (which I also just discovered) and don't know where to start! I'd love any suggestions; I'd prefer to start with his adult works! Thanks!

message 2: by Yoav (last edited May 06, 2014 09:24AM) (new)

Yoav Shai | 1 comments Lynecia wrote: "Hi Everyone!

I've never read ANY Neil Gaiman before, but really want to start; I've heard so much about his work through booktube (which I also just discovered) and don't know where to start! I'd ..."

"Neverwhere" is a good book to start with, as it capture all the little nuances repeating in Neil Gaiman's work- the little morbid jokes, the slow and subtle presentation of the world revealing to the hero, and of course, the inner process his hero is going through.

You can say this book has laid the foundations to "American Gods" (his best book to my opinion).

message 3: by Lynecia (new)

Lynecia (luvnecia) Thanks!

message 4: by Lynecia (new)

Lynecia (luvnecia) Matt wrote: "If you want to start with something lighter and quicker that captures the essence of Gainan's writing, Coraline and The Graveyard Book are both great, and definitely must-reads either now or later on."

Thanks, Matt!

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth | 13 comments I started with Good Omens and loved it. But I didn't really like Neverwhere. I found the main character and some of the jokes kind of irritating. But it was several years ago and I didn't finish the book.

message 6: by Eun (new)

Eun (eunefelisso) I started with the Graveyard Book and could not get enough of Gaiman since. All of his books are quite extraordinary, but I guess you can't really start with American Gods because that one's huge. I'd say either the Graveyard Book or Neverwhere.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi. I've just read my first Gaiman's, it was American Gods and I loved it. Got Stardust on my Kindle too so that's next.

message 8: by Kathyp (new)

Kathyp | 1 comments American Gods was my door to Gaiman's world. And I am in the club since then. It's that rare case when you are get stuck in the book and leave the real life out. Don't let the number of pages scare you - you'll see whether it's your author or not from the very beginning. In my opinion, it's hard not to become an addict.

message 9: by Madhuri_v (new)

Madhuri_v (NineMuses) | 1 comments I started with Fragile Things! And then Anansi Boys! It is one of my favourite Gaiman book!

message 10: by Joel (new)

Joel (h_incandenza) | 3 comments I think the short story 'How to Talk to Girls at Parties' is a good starting point but I agree with the above that American Gods is a good one to jump into.

message 11: by Luciana (new)

Luciana Damasceno (lucydamasceno) | 13 comments Gaiman's book are independent from each other, so you can easily started with anyone you want. My first contact with him was with Coraline and Stardust.

message 12: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 1 comments My first Gaiman book was Good Omens. Then The Graveyard Book. I enjoyed Good Omens, but The Graveyard book really hooked me. American Gods is incredible, but I am glad I didn't read it first...I'm not sure why.

David Meditationseed | 1 comments I would tell you to start at the top! Which can also be the base, the middle, the external, the internal, anyway .... : )

Sandman and American Gods !!

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen Yard | 1 comments I say any book by Neil Gaiman is a great one to start with. I personally love his books of short stories - Trigger Warning is always on my mind. American Gods is another favorite. Ocean is a beautiful book, too.. Stardust is pure magic. See?.. just take a pick :)

message 15: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brink (patricktenbrink) | 1 comments And don't forget the freaky Mirrormask which became a mind-bending film (together with Dave McKean). It is one of those "life-wouldn't-have-been-the-same-without-it" type of films.

message 16: by Ramona (new)

Ramona Rhein | 1 comments I’m reading American Gods right now. So far, my favorite is Anansi Boys followed by The Graveyard Book. I’m enjoying this one as well.