Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

A Pair of Docks (Derivatives of Displacement Book 1)
This topic is about A Pair of Docks
Book Issues > Book listed under other author

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer | 22 comments Hi there,
I don't know if it is a strange legacy issue, but when I do a search on my name, a second version of my book A Pair of Docks comes up with no ratings or reviews and it is unlinked to my profile.

The real version of my book is correctly linked to my profile as the default version, with ratings and reviews. But I was wondering if there was any way to delete this strange additional version (without of course deleting the correct version) as it just seems a bit strange for someone searching and it seems like it is linked to the profile of some other Jennifer Ellis. This is the additional version:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Any help you can give me would be most appreciated.
Jennifer

message 2: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments Hi Jennifer,

The problem is that books routinely get added to GR via big database imports. When this happens, no librarian is there to disambiguate authors with otherwise identical names. Because there is more than one author with published books under your name, your books are entered as Jennifer^^^Ellis (where ^ is a space). The extra spaces are used by GR to divert books to their correct authors' profiles, although those spaces are invisible to the average user. However, when books get imported from outside databases (which is what happened in this case), they are automatically imported with the default single space spelling (e.g., Jennifer^Ellis).

Anyways, to make a long story short, I've moved the orphaned book to your profile page and combined it. You can always ask a librarian to do this if you notice other orphaned editions. Alternatively, if you add the books to GR yourself with the correct author (Jennifer^^^Ellis) before an automated db import can mess up the process, you can prevent future editions from being orphaned.

Jennifer | 22 comments Thanks so much!
Jennifer