Matching Kids to Books discussion

Childhood Libraries > Chapter Books

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna Neumann (new)

Jenna Neumann | 2 comments I'm looking for chapter books for my daughter she will be going into the 5th grade this fall and is reading at grade level.

message 2: by C.H. (new)

C.H. Garbutt | 1 comments Does she like mermaids and adventure? If she has access to digital books try the interactive Black Pool: A Jack Flynn Adventure. It's an engaging book for middle grade readers.

message 3: by Marianna (new)

Marianna Randazzo (goodreadscommariannarandazzo) | 37 comments Mod
The first thing to explore is what type of stories does she like?
Go to your local library, or a bookstore (if you want to invest in these books). Then see what she gravitates towards and ask the librarian to steer you in the right direction for grade appropriate books. Don ‘t be afraid of a few picture books as well, many tell poignant stories.
At this age, it is a good idea to read some historical fiction. This genre represent time periods from the medieval times to the 1970s. These novels appeal to kids somewhere within the upper elementary school range.
This genre allows readers to experience history in an entertaining way, to encounter people, including some their own age, from the past and to learn about other times periods and places. One book I found to be a favorite was Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor. It is one of eight books about the Logan family based on the author's family history, the novel focuses on the hardships the black farming family faces in Mississippi during the Depression.

5th grade girls also gravitate towards women’s biographies. Girls in the preteen years are at an important transition point: they need strong female role models that are both intelligent and popular. Look for books that may have short sketches of several women.
Finally, check book lists and recommended reading lists, and see if the same books tend to be mentioned again and again. Look for books in a variety of genres, from mysteries to sports books.
Most children, like adults eventually find what interests them.

Roll of Thunder, Hear My CryThe Gold CadillacThe Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt them. That is why I always recommend the library as there is no cost to explore and borrow.

message 4: by Jenna Neumann (new)

Jenna Neumann | 2 comments Thank you for the suggestions...

message 5: by Barb (new)

Barb | 5 comments Kate Messner, Jennifer Holm, and Lynda Mullaly Hunt would be good author suggestions. Ranger in Time series, Fourteenth Goldfish, one for the Murphys and Fish in a Tree. Katherine Applegate's The One and Only Ivan and Crenshaw.

message 6: by Barb (new)

Barb | 5 comments Kate Messner, Jennifer Holm, and Lynda Mullaly Hunt would be good author suggestions. Ranger in Time series, Fourteenth Goldfish, one for the Murphys and Fish in a Tree. Katherine Applegate's The One and Only Ivan and Crenshaw.

message 7: by Barb (new)

message 8: by Barb (new)

Barb | 5 comments Oops. Sorry ... A little too much pressure on the touch screen

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb | 5 comments Oops. Sorry ... A little too much pressure on the touch screen

message 10: by Marianna (new)

Marianna Randazzo (goodreadscommariannarandazzo) | 37 comments Mod
Thanks for the suggestions!