All About Books discussion

Sister Carrie
This topic is about Sister Carrie
The 100 Best Novels > Week 33 - Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Week 33 is a bit of a surprise, at least for me: Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser first published in 1900.

From the article:

"Sister Carrie is one of several novels in this series that address the American dream, and it does so in a radical spirit of naturalism that rejected the Victorian emphasis on morality. In some ways it's crude and heavy-handed, blazing with coarse indignation, but in its day it was, creatively speaking, a game-changer. Later, America's first Nobel laureate, Sinclair Lewis, said that Dreiser's powerful first novel "came to housebound and airless America like a great free Western wind, and to our stuffy domesticity gave us the first fresh air since Mark Twain and Walt Whitman".

I will be the first to concede that Dreiser does not now look anything like their equal. He is no stylist, and yet the raw power of his narrative trumps the sometimes excruciating clunk of his prose. Saul Bellow, for instance, advised readers to take Sister Carrie at a gallop. There's no question Dreiser paints an intensely detailed, compelling and closely observed portrait of urban America at the turn of the 20th century – a century in which the US would play such a decisive part."

read the full article here

more about Theodor Heiser here

message 2: by Shirley (new) - added it

Shirley | 4177 comments This is a book my husband has suggested I read, so I hope to get around to it this year, if I don't keep getting distracted by other books!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never heard of it! Can't believe we are at 1900 already and only at book 33!

message 4: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I have neither heard of the book nor the author. Please do read it Shirley and let us know what it's like!! LOL I'm not sure it's attracting me...

message 5: by Shirley (new) - added it

Shirley | 4177 comments Jean wrote: "I have neither heard of the book nor the author. Please do read it Shirley and let us know what it's like!! LOL I'm not sure it's attracting me..."

I'll let you know.

Leslie | 15985 comments This is on my long to-read list. I read my first Dreiser earlier this year with his other major work, An American Tragedy. That was well worth reading, but bogged down towards the end (or at least it did for me), so it didn't encourage me to move this up on my list.

message 7: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Hmm!

message 8: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) ?

message 9: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Jean wrote: "?"

Hmm as in don't know it, not sure whether I want to know it sort of way.

message 10: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Ah! Agreed ;)

message 11: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai Coates (southernbohemian) | 19 comments I liked Sister Carrie, but enjoyed An American Tragedy much more, so I'm a bit surprised with this pick. I did think it was way ahead of its time.