23 Short Classics discussion

O Pioneers! (Great Plains Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about O Pioneers!
May Book - O Pioneers!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Melissa Lenhardt (melissalenhardt) | 31 comments Mod
This month's book is Willa Cather's O Pioneers! Post comments about the book below.

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) I've been wanting to read this for a long time, so I'm glad I have an extra good reason to do so, now!
Happy reading, all!

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) I've started reading this. Lovely book! It reminds me of 'Little House on the Prairie', Laura Ingalls Wilder and than especially the books (and the Pilot from the tv-series) from the time before the Ingalls family lived in Walnut Grove. Like the house they lived in beside a creek, hidden underneath the grass. Caroline Ingalls (the mother) used to say about that that anyone could walk over it and not even know it was there (the same as a house from one of the neighbours in O Pioneers).
I really loved the tv-series about 'Little House on the Prairie' so I really love this book as well!
Anyone else here who feels the same?

I hate to admit, and it's hard to believe, but I never read the Little House books! Sometimes I think back on my childhood reading and am very depressed with the lost possibilities.

Of course, I could read the Little House books now, I know.

Elsbeth wrote: "I've started reading this. Lovely book! It reminds me of 'Little House on the Prairie', Laura Ingalls Wilder and than especially the books (and the Pilot from the tv-series) from the ..."

message 5: by Elsbeth (last edited May 18, 2014 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) Melissa wrote: "I hate to admit, and it's hard to believe, but I never read the Little House books! Sometimes I think back on my childhood reading and am very depressed with the lost possibilities.

Of course, I c..."

I have to say I like the television-series a lot better than the books (of Little House)! Sorry, Laura Ingalls Wilder...! I've read 2 or 3 of them.

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) I just finished O Pioneers!. I absolutely loved it! It is really wonderful! So, anyone who hasn't read it yet: please do!!! I don't think you'll regret it!

Started O Pioneers! and love it so far. Cather's language and descriptions are beautiful and Alexandra is a strong heroine. I hope to finish it today.

Jonelle (joco) | 16 comments I definitely did not regret the read. A little behind - just finished May's book today.
I can't believe I'd never heard of Willa Cather!! I really enjoyed reading O Pioneers, and will look for the rest of the trilogy.
I was surprised by the deaths, but very pleased at how she even made death sweet in her description of Marie.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

O Pioneers! (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laura Ingalls Wilder (other topics)