Dystopian Society discussion

The Inverted World
This topic is about The Inverted World
Announcements > MAY BOOK

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsting (last edited May 05, 2014 07:28AM) (new)

Lindsting | 41 comments Mod
Hi Everyone!

I'm really sorry about being late with this one!

Our book for May is The Inverted World by Christopher Priest.

We had a tie this month which has never happened before - I had my boyfriend break the tie based on title alone (he's not a member) and he chose The Inverted World "because the world is inverted".

Hope this works for everyone! :)

message 2: by Nadine (new) - added it

Nadine Brandes (nadinebrandes) | 36 comments Love how you handled it, Lindsting! [grin]

Sadly, of the three libraries in my area, not one carries it! So I'll just have to hold off until next month. It sounds really interesting though! But this actually works for me as I'm quite busy this month and wasn't sure I'd be able to finish it in time anyway. Looking forward to everyone's thoughts! :)

message 3: by Mkfs (last edited May 06, 2014 01:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mkfs Is there a poll or something that I missed?

I don't recall Inverted World being mentioned in the GR discussion. It's a good choice, though. Has a lot of that "we do it this way because we've ALWAYS done it this way" authoritarian reasoning to it.

EDIT: Ah, finally took a look at the polls, which I missed out on. Looks like a lot of good books (e.g. Riddley Walker, Random Acts) didn't make the cut in the past.

message 4: by Dogzilla (new)

Dogzilla | 2 comments Nadine wrote: "Love how you handled it, Lindsting! [grin]

Sadly, of the three libraries in my area, not one carries it! So I'll just have to hold off until next month. It sounds really interesting though! But th..."

Do any of the libraries provide Inter-library loans? My local library uses ILLIAD to provide books from other libraries from all over the US. Greatest thing ever.

message 5: by Nadine (new) - added it

Nadine Brandes (nadinebrandes) | 36 comments Dogzilla wrote: "Do any of the libraries provide Inter-library loans?..."

Unfortunately not. I live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. The last place I lived used ILLIAD and I loved it! Still figuring out how to adjust here. If everyone starts gushing about the book, I might just break down and buy it. ;)

Jane (janeinri) | 420 comments Mod
Luckily, my library has it for E-loan.

message 7: by Dogzilla (new)

Dogzilla | 2 comments I am lucky, I actually have 3 library cards. One local, and two from just across the border in the next state in different counties. Our libraries have agreements where users can get cards in the other's area. I don't use it for books so much, but e-books, audio books, and other online materials.

This works great for ebooks and audio books, since they have different providers and a different selection.

I don't suppose you could get a card from a nearby library with ILLIAD?

Good luck.

Kris (krisb83) Cool you chose my pick! I hope it's a good one.

I'm sorry it's hard to get ahold of. I have an ebook copy without DRM. If anybody wants it I can email it so just PM me!