Ampersand Book Club discussion

Random > TV shows that were originally novels

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (liinukka) | 185 comments So I recently put Guillermo del Toro's The Strain on my to-read list, when I saw that there will be a new TV series about it.

I think there are a lot of TV shows that are based on books. Which ones are you watching now? Did you read the novel(s) beforehand? Has watching the show made you want to read the novel?

How about movie adaptations? Do you think some series are better as movies or tv series?

For me, I'm currently watching The 100, based on the book (series) by Kass Morgan and The Walking Dead, which was of course, a graphic novel. I'm enjoying the shows but not feeling compelled to read either of these, though.

I'm starting to watch Dresden Files, and *do* want to read the novels there.

I'm really looking forward to watching Constantine, but admittedly will probably not be reading the Hellblazer graphic novels.

I feel like the other book-based series I've watched have never sustained my interest (e.g. Hannibal, Flash Forward, Game of Thrones, House of Cards).

message 2: by Taryn (new)

Taryn (taryn_fry) | 169 comments Oh I love Game of Thrones! I even got my mom and my husband hooked on it, and neither of them have read the books, nor do they particularly like fantasy. That's the only tv show I can think of that I've watched that was based on a book.

Movies, the obvious ones: Harry Potter, LOTR, The Hobbit (don't get me started on that one!). I just watched the Disney adaptation of The Black Cauldron (Lloyd Alexander), and I've seen The Golden Compass but have not actually read the book. Some oldies too - The Great Gatsby (the original one, with Robert Redford), To Kill a Mockingbird, Last of the Mohicans (didn't read that one though). Generally I prefer to read the book before seeing the movie, and I usually tend to prefer the book to the movie, which is why I've never seen Atonement or Memoirs of a Geisha (though I have it at home right now and might actually watch it). I love the books so much I'm afraid the movies will be disappointing (I'm looking at you Hobbit trilogy!)

Books all the way!

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue Arnold | 29 comments Lindsey, I think there might be something wrong with you... GOT didn't keep your interest? House of Cards? I get the Hannibal thing (despite the fact that I personally love the series), but we need to talk...

Again, the offer is open for the Dresden books; whenever you want to read them, they're available in book and audio. Same offer to you too, Taryn, if these books interest you.

message 4: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (liinukka) | 185 comments Lol! Well to be perfectly honest, the whole series of GOT is getting to me right now. I was beginning to tire of them after book 4. Though book 5 was a slight improvement, it still doesn't change the fact that GRRM keeps adding more and more to the plot and characters, all while keeping the whole theme very much about death and destruction. At this point, I kind of want it all to end in a disgusting ice zombie apocalypse.

House of Cards was good but I kind of got annoyed with the young reporter character. I always hate reporter characters, lol. I'll give it another try though.

And hey, I'll give Hannibal season 2 a try as well.

Thanks re: Dresden! I didn't realize you had them...do you have all? I just borrowed the first book from the library.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mlliu) | 167 comments Really interesting discussion! Like Taryn, I also prefer to read the book before watching the show or movie. Though in the case of The 100, I had no idea it was based on a book. Evening, by Susan Minot, is one of my favorite books, and I thought the movie adaptation missed the point completely. I think some books don't translate well to screen (too much internal monologue, for example). On the other hand, I generally enjoy the Lord of the Rings movies. I remember devouring the books when I was young, but I'm not sure I'd do that if I reread them now. Maybe because I worry the books will seem like a slog?

I'm only on season 3 of Game of Thrones, but from the reviews I've read of season 4 so far, I think the writers are doing a good job of condensing the action in the books, which, as Lindsey mentioned, almost seem bloated. (One of my favorite Onion articles on this phenomenon: http://www.theonion.com/articles/these-last-two-are-gonna-be-real-turds-george-rr-m,26934/.)

As for The Strain, I read the trilogy awhile back and enjoyed them, though I don't remember much about them. I recall thinking that they might actually work better as a show or movie, maybe because of del Toro. Like it was easy to imagine the books as screenplays.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mlliu) | 167 comments Oh, I just remembered that I put The Killing on my to-read list because I enjoyed the first season of the original Danish show so much. Though in this case, the book is a novelization of what happened. Even though I know how it ends, I'd like to read it for the characters' internal monologue.

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue Arnold | 29 comments I, too, enjoy reading the books first. I have kept up w/the tv series, The Killing, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't realize it was adapted from books. Have any of you ever seen/read "Let The Right One In"? It's a foreign movie, which I happened on and really enjoyed. I bought the book a few days later and enjoyed that, too.

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue Arnold | 29 comments Lindsey -- I own up to book 6 or 7 of Dresden, with audibles through book 5 I think. Yes, please read mine if it's easier. The audible books also are a treat.

message 9: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (liinukka) | 185 comments I just borrowed Let the Right One In! I haven't seen the movie, though.

And cool, thanks Sue!

message 10: by Lisa (last edited May 06, 2014 12:53PM) (new)

Lisa (mlliu) | 167 comments As far as I know, the The Killing book is based on the TV show. Are you watching the Danish or American version? I saw the original Let the Right One In a few years ago and later read the book. Liked both though I have no desire to watch the American version. I understand it's pretty much the same as the original but in English?

message 11: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (liinukka) | 185 comments Aaah, interesting. Books based on shows, the other way around! I wonder what others are out there?

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mlliu) | 167 comments Off the top of my head, I can say Riddick. I love the Riddick movies and was surprised to find out the movies aren't even based on graphic novels. Of course, now there are graphic novels and books featuring the character. Maybe that's like how there are all these Star Trek books out.

message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue Arnold | 29 comments I think I watched both the American and the Danish movies. I liked the Danish version better, but the American version wasn't bad. And you're right, they are almost exactly the same as I recall.

It's funny you mention Star Trek books.... I bought one on a lark one day (I think it was a Kindle Daily Deal) and ended up loving it! That was back when Lindsey and I were on the same project. Long story short, I have read about 10 or so post-series Deep Space Nine books and very much enjoyed them. Embarrassingly.... It seems to be the same 2 or 3 authors and they're continually adding to the collection. If you're a DS9 fan, I'd recommend them.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Strain (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kass Morgan (other topics)