Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
This topic is about The Gunslinger
Dark Tower > The Gunslinger--Finished! Spoilers allowed...

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
Here is a thread for those who've finished!

Right now I just have the last chapter to go.....

Grant | 4 comments I've read this book in the past but I've never really discussed it with anyone so I'll be happy to discuss this. I don't normally join in these things either (first time since subbed to this group).

message 3: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 801 comments Mod
In many ways, this book stands apart from the rest of the Dark Tower series. It was first written many years before the other books. I, too, found it hard to get into and hard to like. But when I read this series the first time, I had many fans of it encouraging me to keep going, so I will do the same here. Keep going!

message 4: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thanks for joining in Grant! The more the merrier....

Helen I will read the next. I didn't enjoy it though. If just finished his Under the Dome which was fabulous.

Supriya (supriyah) | 6 comments The book began very well. I really liked the flashback of Tull. The mystery of the man in black kept me going, and what could have been a spectacular meeting between Roland and the man in black, ends on an underwhelming note.

After having built a whole imagery of 1800s Wild West in the first chapter, I felt that the description at the end about the universe and nebulae was out of place (or time rather). I will read the next book since I've heard they get better, but I had more hopes from this one after having heard about the series for so long.

message 7: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished last night---this seems to be kind of a set-up novel, so I plan to continue to see this drawing he does!

David Sven (gorro) | 123 comments The next book is one of my favourites of the series.

message 9: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

David Sven wrote: "The next book is one of my favourites of the series."

good! I am looking forward to getting into the 'meat' of it all

message 10: by Ana (last edited May 29, 2014 09:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ana (guiweeneth) | 2 comments David Sven wrote: "The next book is one of my favourites of the series."

Finished! I've heard this from some people, and I really hope the next one is better, because i found this one lacks of the usual S.King mysterious-engaging style.

Daniela Sylmae (daniela_sylmae) I did enjoy the ending with the man in black and his talk of size with the gunslinger. This is my second King book, so I'm intrigued by the large number of people who say that the next book is even better and I can't wait to read it!

Helen I kept picturing it like an Eastwood film, then I'd read a part that really clashed with my picture.

message 13: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh | 8 comments Wow. Mind blown. I think King proves through the narrative that if anyone can find the dark tower, it's the gunslinger. And the big reveal of the dark tower...what it is...very ambitious.

message 14: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh | 8 comments Daniela wrote: "I did enjoy the ending with the man in black and his talk of size with the gunslinger."

Size matters?:)
Hey...it's the man in black's words, not mine.

Daniel (dward526) I enjoyed this story. I am pleased it is one of Kings better works.

Daniel (dward526) Helen wrote: "I kept picturing it like an Eastwood film, then I'd read a part that really clashed with my picture."

I agree with you, but I did not find it clashed so much...my Eastwood just got strange :P

message 17: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh | 8 comments yeah this was a short one. it was beautifully paced. the reveal at the end was the clincher that convinced me to continue the story.the other volumes balloon quite a bit. I just did a video review on the gunslinger. Check it out and subscribe at YouTube.com/reignofbooks

Pickle | 6 comments i wasn't too keen on it but im finding this with the majority of King books. I think it might be best if i don't continue reading more from the author.