Underground Knowledge — A discussion group discussion

MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS > Is McDonalds actually food?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11246 comments I have this theory McDonalds is not actually food.
I mean, it looks like food, it smells like food, it tastes like food, but I don't think it is actually food...

What say you?

message 2: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments one way to find out. ..eat only McDonald's for one year and see what happens.

message 3: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11246 comments Is synthetically produced, hormone dervived, steroid injected, GMO created, plastic produce, still food??

message 4: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments MCDONALD'S: Yes. Our burgers in the US are made using only 100% USDA-inspected beef. There are no preservatives, no fillers, no extenders and no so-called “pink slime” in our beef. The only thing added to our burgers is a bit of salt and pepper during grilling

message 5: by Jogi (last edited May 01, 2016 10:09PM) (new)

Jogi Badmaash (recantrecantrecant) I dunno. Not rich enough to go to McDonalds.

PS Ok, I'll go with 'Mcdonalds is not food' stance. Because I can't go to Mcdonalds.

message 6: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments Genio wrote: "I dunno. Not rich enough to go to McDonalds.

PS Ok, I'll go with 'Mcdonalds is not food' stance. Because I can't go to Mcdonalds."

Consider yourself lucky :)

message 7: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11246 comments MCDONALDS: Lisa, congratulations - because of your support to the chain (the company, not Darwin's food chain) you win a lifetime's supply of McDonalds - breakfast lunch and dinner on us. And because it is not actually food (don't tell anyone) you will never get fat (or have "wind" problems)!

message 8: by Iona (new)

Iona  Stewart (ionas) | 6 comments Lisa wrote: "one way to find out. ..eat only McDonald's for one year and see what happens."

That would be extremely risky, Lisa, In fact I believe it would be suicide. I certainly wouldn´t last a year. Anyway, I don´t eat meat.

message 9: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments As the saying goes: It's too expensive to change people's minds and it takes a long time.

McDonald's is actually trying to shake off their reputation by improving their food items. Their chicken is supposed to be hormone free and also free of antibiotics as well, they have removed the preservatives, artificial flavors and meat fillers....

Some are even saying that McDonald's may be becoming healthier than other fast foods when it comes to calorie count and the quality of their food.

James, if you feel a gust of wind picking you up and throwing you down on your FACE, you know where it came from ;)

Iona, the best way to know what you're putting in your body is to make food from scratch.... eating fast food should be a rarity.

message 10: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11246 comments Lisa wrote: "McDonald's is actually trying to shake off their reputation by improving their food items. Their chicken is supposed to be hormone free and also free of antibiotics as well, they have removed the preservatives, artificial flavors and meat fillers....

Some are even saying that McDonald's may be becoming healthier than other fast foods when it comes to calorie count and the quality of their food...."

Lisa, you should consider a Public Relations job (aka Spin Doctor!) for McDonalds :)

And if you get such an esteemed position, can you put in a good word to the legal department for me if they eventually sue me for implying their "food" is not FOOD?

message 11: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments James Morcan wrote: "Lisa wrote: "McDonald's is actually trying to shake off their reputation by improving their food items. Their chicken is supposed to be hormone free and also free of antibiotics as well, they have ..."

Hey, whatever it takes to help those young teenagers keep their dream jobs :)

PS: do you think they ever clean those fountain drink machines??

message 12: by Harry (new)

Harry Whitewolf | 1745 comments Iona wrote: "Lisa wrote: "one way to find out. ..eat only McDonald's for one year and see what happens."

That would be extremely risky, Lisa, In fact I believe it would be suicide. I certainly wouldn´t last a ..."

Well, someone did the McDonalds only diet for thirty days - in the well known documentary film Supersize Me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_S...

And I've boycotted McDonlads for about twenty years now. Bastards that they are.

message 13: by Cherye (new)

Cherye Elliott (trollhair) | 1 comments I am a vegetarian. I eat organic and NO gmo foods. So, no McDonald's is not real food. But I will say this, During an apocalypse one will eat anything and everything.

message 14: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments Who in their right mind would buy food from a clown?

message 15: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11246 comments Lisa wrote: "Who in their right mind would buy food from a clown?"

Dodgy isn't it.

message 16: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments kind of is....maybe fast food is working together with the health sector...create malnourished generations which by default causes increased illnesses and prescription dependence ....probably also the inability to keep a steady job or receive an education....mind becomes dull, body has no energy and desire to succeed diminished....Trump voters?

message 17: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11246 comments Ha!

message 18: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments like Trump says: 'I'm speaking with myself, No. 1, because I have a very good brain,
'And I've said a lot of things.'

BRILLIANT!!! fast food brain at work?

message 19: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11246 comments I still think McDonalds may not be food...it looks like food, vaguely smells like food, but something is not right about it...could it actually be tasty plastic instead of food?

message 20: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments perhaps the hep A virus is multiplying so rapidly that you can taste it!

message 21: by Feliks (last edited Dec 18, 2016 03:34PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) It used to taste like food in the first few decades of the chain's existence. I really suspect something drastic happened in the McD labs though, over the past decade or so. That slop does not taste like food anymore, no way.

It might be edible but it is beyond revolting. I never eat their burgers (and have not done so since I was a lad) but even just the shakes, chicken, and fish taste absolutely foul. Its all so...'slippery', somehow. And mushy/squishy. No structure, no bite or chew or texture to anything. Slides right own your gullet without even needing mastication. I almost barfed the last time I tried to eat a meal there.

message 22: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11246 comments I know, right? It just doesn't taste like any other kind of food!

message 23: by Feliks (last edited Dec 18, 2016 03:38PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) And there's a strange, subtle, chemical 'undertaste' to it. No other flavors which should be present, are in fact, present. For example when you eat the fish, ordinarily you'd expect occasional high-notes of fish flavor as you roll it around your mouth. But it just tastes flat and sort of 'automated'. As if the flavors were 'controlled', or simulated. Something designed to be generically 'mild', no matter what happens. Real flavor variation is not permitted. And then what your tongue does pick up 'under' all that flat non-taste is definitely chemical-ey. You know what I mean.

What disturbs me is that many teens live on these products.

message 24: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11246 comments Could McDonalds be the ultimate GMO experiment?
if we could time travel decades into the future, will all food taste very controlled and flat like this?

message 25: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) a better question might be this: you remember 'Soylent Green', I'm sure. The movie.

Now, be fair: wasn't the main issue in that story really, just the fact that the soylent designers could not come up with a way to make soylent appetizing? If soylent was truly versatile [the way today's tofu is] the consumers in that yarn should have had no complaints. How else would we keep population under control in a true greenhouse doomsday like that?

message 26: by Laureen (last edited Dec 18, 2016 04:19PM) (new)

Laureen (laureenandersonswfcomau) | 478 comments Not in my understanding of food. However, people should be entirely free to choose their own poison along with other choices in life. However they need to take responsibility for those choices and not blame McDonalds if their health deteriorates.

message 27: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Cull the herd!

message 28: by Laureen (new)

Laureen (laureenandersonswfcomau) | 478 comments I really miss the old hamburger shops where you got a real meat patty or a thin edible piece of steak with fresh salad including beetroot and fried onions. Yum.

message 29: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) To be fair; in recent yrs there has been a wild upsurge in the 'sexiness' of burgers and now McD has a ferocious host of competitors in any big city. 5Guys, In-and-Out, Bareburger, Shake Shack, 5Napkin Burger, Naked Burger, Umami Burger...my city in particular is currently experiencing a burger boom. There's similar booms going on in things like lobster rolls, fried chicken, french toast, oysters, numerous other delicacies.

In a sense though, its just another indicator of hollow, empty, restless and unsatisfied urbanites. They constantly have to stuff themselves with food, drink, movies, and TV in order to feel full.

message 30: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Lance Morcan | 2823 comments What's in a Big Mac? Will YOU eat a McDonald's again after reading this? http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/f...

message 31: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 1361 comments Lance wrote: "What's in a Big Mac? Will YOU eat a McDonald's again after reading this? http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/f..."

My answer is "no", mainly because a long time ago I heard some horror stories about the local outlet. They may be more general.

message 32: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11246 comments I think this poem titled OLD MCDONALD HAD A RESTAURANT, from Harry Whitewolf's new book
INDIE POET - Thirty Poems From My Thirties: 2006 - 2016, is worth a post in this thread:

Old McDonald had a restaurant,
E, I, E, I, O,
And in that restaurant was some beef,
E, I, E, I, O.
With a moo moo here,
And a moo moo there.
Here a moo, there a moo,
Everywhere a moo moo cholesterol filled death
trap burger.

Old McDonald employed a zitty city kid,
E, I, E, I, O,
And that kid worked for minimum wage,
E, I, E, I, O.
With a bit of poverty down here,
And a bit of fat cat greed up there.
Here a bastard, there a bastard,
Everywhere a fucking fat and greedy bastard.
Old McDonald bought the world,
E, I, E, I, O,
And in that world, all is yellow,
E, I, E, I, O.
With a golden arch here,
And a golden arse there.
Here an arse, there an arse.
Everywhere a fucking golden arse.

Old McDonald chopped rainforests down,
E, I, E, I, O,
And in those forests, they slaughtered cows,
E, I, E, I, O.
With a “Moo-arrghhh!” here,
And a “Moo-arrghhh!” there.
Hear a cow scream, there a beef burger,
Anywhere where there’s land to be bought and
oxygen to be taken.
Old McDonald had a clown,
E, I, E, I, O,
And that clown turned out to be Joe Public,
E, I, E, I, O.
With a quick buy here,
And a cheap buy there.
Here, Capitalism. There, anarchism.
Everywhere, the feeders and the fodder.

Old McDonald opened up yet another
restaurant.
E, I, E, I, OH MY GOD NO!

INDIE POET - Thirty Poems From My Thirties 2006 - 2016 by Harry Whitewolf

message 33: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Yeah, I decided it wasn't food back in 1985......haven't eaten at McDonalds since then, but I can't imagine things have improved at all.

message 34: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimliedeka) I worked at a McD's in the early 90s. It's not great food but it is food. My usual meal was a quarter pounder I made myself with lots of lettuce and tomatoes in an attempt to add vegetables. The QP patties taste better than the smaller hamburger patties.

I don't go to McD's anymore, though. In Wisconsin, there's a local chain called Culver's that has way better food plus frozen custard.

message 35: by Harry (new)

Harry Whitewolf | 1745 comments James wrote: "I think this poem titled OLD MCDONALD HAD A RESTAURANT, from Harry Whitewolf's new book
INDIE POET - Thirty Poems From My Thirties: 2006 - 2016, is worth a post in..."

Thanks for posting James. :)

message 36: by J. (last edited May 11, 2017 10:48AM) (new)

J. Gowin | 121 comments It is just as much food as the flavor packet that comes with my ramen noodles. Sadly while I've had plenty of ramen that tasted pretty good, I have never eaten McD's, then an hour later been glad that I ate it.

As for the health effects, they might not be as acute if people actually got out of their cars and walked into the building. In a society that has decided that a morning cup of coffee is better with whipped cream and festive sprinkles the problems are a lot bigger than one (1) franchise.

message 37: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11246 comments I recently arrived in a town very early morning and was starving - but the only place open yet was McDonalds. So I made the mistake of buying a burger meal. And not only did it not fill me up at all, I couldn't seem to feel it hit my digestive system. If it is actually food, it's unlike any food I've ever come across.

Jim, the early 1990s was quarter of a century ago...So how do you know McDonalds is still actually food?
P.S. Wisconsin...the only thing that comes to mind is That Seventies Show :)

message 38: by Mark (new)

Mark | 76 comments I heard they recently changed the formulas so it resembles actual food now but I've yet to witness it myself. Not particularly excited to test it out either.

message 39: by John (new)

John Graham Wilson | 154 comments I use McDonalds for the cheap ice-cream cones. I sit and watch the teenagers and think, "Do they know what is going on?" (Hmm, quite a thread.)

message 40: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11246 comments John wrote: "I use McDonalds for the cheap ice-cream cones. I sit and watch the teenagers and think, "Do they know what is going on?" (Hmm, quite a thread.)"

Ah, the benefit of experience!!

message 41: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11246 comments Masi [Hey Hey Hey] (S.B.QP) wrote: "nope. not food. XD"

I assume it's all genetically modified at the very least.

Underground Knowledge — A discussion group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

INDIE POET - Thirty Poems From My Thirties: 2006 - 2016 (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Harry Whitewolf (other topics)