CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2014 Weekly Threads > Week 19: What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Happy cinco de Mayo! I hope everyone had a chance to enjoy the gorgeous weather this weekend. It prevented me from getting any reading done, but I am not complaining.

I finished Red Rising last week, and highly recommend it. However, if you like it as much as I did, you'll just have to wait for the next installment, which isn't due out until January 2015.

This week, I'm hoping to finish Salem's Lot. I'm trying to work through King's bibliography in the order he published. Salem's Lot is one of his few books I've read multiple times before, and I'm excited to read it again.

What is everyone reading this week? Anything that you just can't put down and want to recommend?

message 2: by Traci (new)

Traci (tardis1974) I've been reading Insatiable by Meg Cabot and Last Breath, the 11th book in the Morganville Vampire series (both pretty enjoyable). But my husband and I started re-watching Game of Thrones on HBO Go - we had watched through season 2 before, and got caught up last night to where we'd left off before. Anyway, watching the show has gotten me itching to reread the books, so I started A Game of Thrones yesterday. Reading more than one book at a time is difficult for me, and it's especially hard now because I need to finish the other two (Last Breath is due back to the library in a few days), but I'm finding myself only wanting to read GoT. It's such and engrossing series. Even the second time around.

By the way, would Game of Thrones count for May's challenge? Or are those specifically meant to be movies?

Insatiable (Insatiable, #1) by Meg Cabot Last Breath (The Morganville Vampires, #11) by Rachel Caine A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Traci wrote: "By the way, would Game of Thrones count for May's challenge? Or are those specifically meant to be movies?"

I'd say it can count. The challenges are just a set of guidelines.

message 4: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Hay | 41 comments I finished Water for Elephants! And I picked up "7 Souls" off the overdrive section of the library website. We will see how it is. Although I'm going into finals week as well, so it might be a while until I can read again. :(

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela Malerman (angelamal) | 41 comments Liz wrote: "Happy cinco de Mayo! I hope everyone had a chance to enjoy the gorgeous weather this weekend. It prevented me from getting any reading done, but I am not complaining.

I finished Red Rising last we..."

I try to read all of Stephen Kings books every year just before his newest is released in the fall, I love how many of them are linked with one another.

I am out of commission reading this week due to an accident and an eye patch (I find it hard to read using only one eye) so I am listening to a few books. Panic by Lauren Oliver, Under the Dome by Stephen King (again) and I have Laurel Hamilton books to listen to.

I also downloaded Through the Zombie Glass and Alice in Zombie Land to have my Kindle read to me (they sounded fun)

Hope everyone has a great week getting lost in a book.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Sorry to hear about your accident, Angela! Thank goodness for audiobooks. I love listening to audiobooks during my commute. The best one(s) I've ever heard are the His Dark Materials series.

message 7: by Ann (last edited May 06, 2014 08:44AM) (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 442 comments I'm reading Killer Frost, the last book in the Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep. I've enjoyed the whole series, and am definitely putting them on my keeper shelves.
I love audiobooks for long trips. The best ones I've ever heard are the Harry Potter series, the narrator does an incredible job with all of the different voices.

message 8: by Pattie (new)

Pattie Babbitt I just cried my way to work today with my audiobook selection Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. Next up is, of course, the sequel Fly Away, and I am going to read "Flowers in the Attic" for my May challenge. I have the new Lifetime movie of it on my DVR. I know it is going to be horrible, but sometimes it is fun to watch a trainwreck of a movie! By the way, if anyone needs a great recommendation for the May Challenge, the Indian River Library has an awesome display near the circulation desk. :) Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah Fly Away by Kristin Hannah Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Penn (jenniferpenn) | 41 comments Week 19 already! AH! Sorry I've been pretty absent from my Goodreads app lately so this kind of snuck up on me. I'm still ahead schedule, yay! I'm on my 25th book which is 12 Years a Slave (I saw the movie with my husband and had to read the book of course) and I am working on Rudyard Kiplings The Jungle Book (not sure if that counts but oh well I've always wanted to read it).

message 10: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments Pattie wrote: "I just cried my way to work today with my audiobook selection Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. Next up is, of course, the sequel Fly Away, and I am going to read "Flowers in the Attic" for my May ..."

I retread the Flower in the Attic books too. I was so young when I read them that I wanted to see what I thought of them now that I am older. They were still really good.

message 11: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments This week I am reading The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King & also listening to Toys by James Patterson.

message 12: by Rekesha (new)

Rekesha | 45 comments Mod
I am trying to finish up Till Death Do Us (Dog Walker Mystery) by Judi McCoy. Hopefully, I will be able to start on Steeped in Evil by Laura Childs next week.

Till Death Do Us Bark (Dog Walker Mysteries, #5) by Judi McCoy
Steeped in Evil (A Tea Shop Mystery, #15) by Laura Childs

message 13: by Pattie (new)

Pattie Babbitt Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's in our awesome group!!