Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Fun! > Scariest movie

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
If you follw me on Twitter you'll know I started my next ebook this morning. My first novel I'll write in this apartment and it's a horror :]

I've said the story a couple of times but the scariest film I saw was Paranormal Activity. Me and my dad got abit drunk and convinced each other it was real. This was back when it first came out, and I didn't go online much... So yeah. Nothing has come to compare with that yet!

What's the scariest film you've seen and why?

message 2: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 187 comments the movie "whisper" from 2007 is the creepiest one. it starts as a regular kidnapping movie, yet you can immediately sense that something is wrong...

message 3: by Bisky (new)

That sounds interesting, have to look that one up :]

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments I know that some people enjoy being scared out of their wits, but not me. I found Jurrasic Park to be totally horrifying, but for a true horror fan, I doubt it'd qualify. Also, when I was about 7 I saw the superman movie where that woman gets turned into a robot and that scene freaked me out for years. Can't remember which superman it was.

message 5: by Bisky (new)

I'm glad it's socially acceptable to admit how terrifying it is when Bilbo goes after Frodo's ring in Rivendel.

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments So many I could name here. If you can convince yourself it's real The 4th Kind is pretty scary. The Exorcist is probably the scariest movie of all time. The Evil Dead was a good scary movie also. The original and the new one. The new one is a bit scarier with the bigger budget and higher production value.

message 7: by David (new)

David Thirteen (davidjthirteen) The Ring completely freaked me out. To this day, I catch myself looking at the TV askance if I get up in the middle of the night and have to walk by it.

Another all time favorite was Rosemary's Baby - total creep fest. Thought about that one a long time after I watched it.

message 8: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments When I was a kid: Poltergeist, The Shining, Alien. But as an adult: I don't know exactly why, because nothing really happens, but The Blair Witch Project gave me nightmares for weeks. I can't even think of the scene where they can hear their friend screaming in the dark forest w/o being kept awake by it.

@David: The Ring freaked me out too, the girl coming out of the television, and then there's a glitch and she's right up on him, made me recoil in my seat. That's some scary shit.

message 9: by David (new)

David Thirteen (davidjthirteen) @J. David - I think The Ring is an excellent example of modernizing the supernatural. It's very rare you see a movie or a book take something technological and ascribe supernatural elements to it - it gives it a much more surprising twist than a haunted house or a cursed book. I've always wanted to see the Japanese original but part of me is worried it'll freak me out even more.

message 10: by Karey (new)

Karey The Exorcist.
My parents forbade me to see it.
So, in my 30's, I thought, 'How bad can it be, all these years later? I'm an adult. It's an old movie. Probably low budget-ish.

I'm 49 now and STILL sleep with the hall light on!!!

message 11: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 1053 comments Mod
@Karey Oh how I wished Goodreads had the 'like' button!

message 12: by Bisky (last edited May 05, 2014 10:07PM) (new)

I didn't find the ring scary but I enjoyed it. The Japanese version I found just abit odd. I think it's because I'm part of the MTV generation. We feel neither highs nor lows. I've never actually seen The Exorcist.

LOVE the book though. One of my favourites. I think the movie might possibly be a bit dated for me? Not sure.

The Fourth Kind has some really creepy moments. I thought it was very clever.

Also never seen the blair witch project! I really have to watch that I've always wanted to.

message 13: by Cury (new)

Cury (curyositee) | 3 comments The Exorcist, hands down.

message 14: by RLL (new)

RLL (rllauthor) | 1 comments The China Syndrome. Why? Because it was real. Topical. Human monsters, running science into the ground, outdo slashers in movies any old day.

message 15: by Bisky (new)

realism is what gets to me, I'll have to look that up.

message 16: by Barry (new)

Barry | 9 comments Horror purists make fun of me for this, but The Fourth Kind terrified me. I was walking around my house, reaching around corners to cut on the lights before I entered a room for about two weeks after watching.

message 17: by Bisky (new)

I wouldn't make fun of you, the broken neck thing was horrifying haha.

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 27 comments So it is a toss up for me between the original Halloween (the music alone), and Session 9...or was it 8? It was one of those. Session 9 creeped me out because I can't imagine anyone being willing to clean up an insane asylum. You know something is bound to go wrong.

Oh speaking of the Ring, I have really long dark hair and decided to dress up as the little girl for Halloween. I guess it was too effective because no one wanted to talk to me. I secretly laughed at them :)

message 19: by Samantha (last edited May 10, 2014 08:55AM) (new)

Samantha Strong (samanthalstrong) | 206 comments I guess it depends on what you mean by "scariest." I started watching the new Evil Dead, and I found it so gross I turned it off about half an hour in. I really don't like gory / body horror AT ALL, so it was horrifying. (I guess that's why they call it "horror.")

When it comes to fun scary, for whatever reason, my favorite is Event Horizon. Man, that movie scares me. LOVE IT SO MUCH. There's just something about being lost in space with a haunted ship that gets me every time I watch it.

A lot of movies I've watched lately don't really scare me, though, and I've gone through a scary movie phase. Maybe I'm getting older and jaded. I found Mama super ridiculous once they showed the thing haunting the little girls. I couldn't be scared by it; I was laughing at it--and usually I try to get into movies. I haven't seen anything that sticks like Event Horizon in years. Paranormal Activity, The Conjuring, and The Fourth Kind were pretty good, though. Oh, and I liked Blair Witch when I saw it 15 years ago or whenever it came out but probably wouldn't watch it again.

message 20: by Bisky (new)

Session 9! I forgot about that. Must watch it :3

Don't think I've seen even horizon either. Building abit of a list for when my sofa FINALLY arrives next week xD

message 21: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 187 comments @Bisky, if you want some goosebumps.... just watchi this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30rUL...

message 22: by James (new)

James McCormick Bisky wrote: "I didn't find the ring scary but I enjoyed it. The Japanese version I found just abit odd. I think it's because I'm part of the MTV generation. We feel neither highs nor lows. I've never actually s..."

I agree, when the girl crawls out of the TV ....

message 23: by Neil (new)

Neil Bursnoll | 109 comments @Claire - that was the end of Superman III. That also terrified me as a child, however I watched it again a few years ago and it's just silly to watch now.

Not many films genuinely scare me. The original Thai version of Shutter did, as well as Ringu (not the poor US remake). The Shining has an awesome feeling of dread to it. Great slow build. I was creeped out by 28 Days Later and the Dawn if the Dead remake, but purely by the speed of the zombies and the fact that you had nowhere to hide. I don't agree with fast moving zombies, but that's another matter!

message 24: by Bisky (new)

I thought that world war Z missed a chance at some really creepy scenes with their zombie waves.

message 25: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Fridge (adrianfridge) I know we're talking about scariest movies we've seen, but there's one movie--that I haven't seen and never want to see--so terrible that even the mention of it gives me the creeps: Human Centipede. The concept alone is horrifying, and my asshole friends told me some of the plot and I know I don't have to watch it to feel absolutely grossed out.

And that is my mini-vent on that topic.

message 26: by Karey (new)

Karey There's a human centi---NO!!!
No!
No!
NO!!

message 27: by Bisky (new)

Karey, my thoughts exactly xD

message 28: by G.G. (new)

The. Movie is on Netflix. ;)
I've read the blurb but there is NO way I'm going to watch that!

message 29: by Neil (new)

Neil Bursnoll | 109 comments @Bisky definitely agree. WWZ was more action orientated than horror, unfortunately!

message 30: by Carl (new)

Carl | 424 comments Film: The Exorcist
Book: The Shining
Scene: girl (Kelly?) crawls out of tv in The Ring. I screamed at my own tv. "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!"

message 31: by Bisky (new)

Haha! That is quite an image :P

message 32: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 187 comments about the ring.... I had a funny story happening to me, I was watching in once in highschool, taking advantage of the fact my mother was visiting a distant relative, and during the scene where the popel get the call saying they'll die in 7 days... guess what happened? the phone rung... it turned out it was my mother asking how I was doing...

message 33: by Carl (new)

Carl | 424 comments I freaked.

message 34: by G.G. (new)

@Kamil Nothing like coincidences to make a scary movie even scarier. :P

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Michelle | 450 comments Mod
I watched this one movie that was only in spanish and it was the most terrifying thing I've ever seen lol I think it was called "The Orphanage" or something, "El Oreanato". *shudders* Scared the you know what out of me >>

message 36: by Bisky (new)

I've heard that's scary! I'm trying to get Viking to watch sinister with me but he won't :x

message 37: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Michelle | 450 comments Mod
Yeah I don't really do the scary movies lol it all started when I watched IT when I was like 4/5. Nope nope nope. I haven't even seen Paranormal Activity ._.

I can't imagine anything scaring a Viking tho :p i haven't heard of sinister, is it supposed to be very scary? :x

message 38: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments Sinister was good, but I didn't find it to be too scary. Paranormal Activity is creepy the first time you see it but it's not a movie you can watch over and over again.