Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's April 2014

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7684 comments The Girl with a Clock for a Heart A Novel by Peter Swanson The Girl with a Clock for a Heart: A Novel16. Peter Swanson. 3/5

George Foss meets an intriguing girl his first semester in college; she blows his mind and disappears at the end of the semester. He gives chase to her and she disappears again. Twenty years later she’s back, with a request. This was an excellent first novel for my friend and co-worker, and it doesn’t hurt that it is partially set in the Boston area. The MC was completely frustrating, with as Sherry says, more than one TSTL moment, but I was hooked in the quest and found the ending apropos.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Ready Player One17. Ready Player One. Ernest Cline. Read by Wil Wheaton. 3/5

Wade O. Watts, aka Parcival, has been spending years searching into a virtual utopian world called OASIS, hunting for the treasure left by its creator, James Halliday. Our boy stumbles upon the first piece of the puzzle and suddenly becomes the center of attention as good and bad forces follow his every move toward what he hopes will ultimately lead to victory. Not my usual genre, YA and very techno-geeky. In fact I almost put it down, but hung in there until the story grabbed me. The characters and what would happen to them kept me going, even as my eyes occasionally glazed over at the descriptions of the games, and the 80s references that are the keys to solving the puzzle.

Enter a Murderer (Roderick Alleyn, #2) by Ngaio Marsh Enter a Murderer Ngaio Marsh. Read by James Saxon.
Inspector Roderick Alleyn is invited to the theater by a journalist friend, and of course murder breaks out. These police procedurals are a bit dated, with men calling each other “old thing” and such, but they’re entertaining nonetheless. I do hope they get better as they go along, though.

The Deep Blue Alibi (Solomon vs. Lord, #2) by Paul Levine The Deep Blue Alibi Paul Levine. Ready by William Dufris. 3/5

Legal partners and lovers Steve Solomon and Victoria Lord are brought into a case when Victoria’s uncle/family friend is accused of murdering a business associate. Further complicating things is Victoria’s ambivalence about her relationship with Steve and their business partnership, and the super hunk son of the family friend who is showing interest in her. Steve is a bit too flip and clueless about women for my taste but I can take him in small doses with a good crime to keep him occupied.

The Purity of Vengeance. Jussi Adler-Olsen. Read by Graeme Malcolm. 5/5

Fourth in the Department Q series. Detective Carl Morck and his assistants, Rose and Assad, nibble away at a case involving the disappearance of a handful of people twenty years ago. Their relentless detective work uncovers the connection between those disappearances and a modern day evil -- the promotion of ethnic purity and the elimination of those and their children who do not meet the standard. This story was gripping from page 1 -- Adler-Olsen gets better with each tale. The mystery unfolds as do episodes in the lives of Carl, Rose and Assad, making this a story you want to stick with to the end.

Divided in Death (In Death, #18) by J.D. Robb Divided in Death J.D. Robb. Read by Susan Ericksen. 3/5

Dallas’ and Roarke’s worlds collide once again as Eve lands a case of a couple slaughtered in their bed. Problem is, the dead “he” is married to the daughter of Roarke’s admin, Caro, and she is the #1 suspect. The discovery of who is behind it all causes a rift in the Eve/Roarke relationship, which adds to the tension. The usual characters join to bring the case to resolution. No real surprises, just a good solid Eve/Roarke tale with all the requisite twists and turns.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14095 comments Nice variety, Carol!
I find the Dept Q books enjoyable too. The side stories with the three main characters are a good counter balance to the horrific nature of the cold cases they work on. Assad and Rose are enigmatic foils to Carl's beleaguered detective role.

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2608 comments Good month, Carol, and kudos to your co-worker.

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7684 comments Daniel wrote: "Good month, Carol, and kudos to your co-worker."

Thanks on his behalf, Dan. If only he had named a character after me! ;-)

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3581 comments I need to pick up an Eve & Roarke book again!

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7684 comments Melodie wrote: "I need to pick up an Eve & Roarke book again!"

I've said it before, they are my comfort reads!