Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Author Deletions

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by W.H. (new)

W.H. (lovetiggi) | 98 comments What happens to an Anthology if the editing author who has deleted their account?

message 2: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) W.H. wrote: "What happens to an Anthology if the editing author who has deleted their account?"

Can you give an example? Link to the book would be nice.

message 3: by W.H. (new)

W.H. (lovetiggi) | 98 comments It is just a question in general. If a Goodreads Author, who has edited anthologies, and they are shown as the editor for the book, would the book be deleted, if so, how long would it take? Just curious I am on several social media sites and see this question from time to time, that is whay I am asking. My short is in an anthology, but I was the editor.

message 4: by W.H. (new)

W.H. (lovetiggi) | 98 comments Sorry been a long night.. I am not the editor.

message 5: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments I wouldn't think it would affect the book. If the editor no longer had a "Goodreads Author" claimed page, there would still be a regular author page for him/her I believe. Most author pages are not claimed.

message 6: by Empress (last edited May 05, 2014 06:51AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) If a fictional book has an editor, it shouldn't unless they are contributor. All authors (contributors) should be listed. The limit is 50 names, the rest can be in the book description.

If it is non-fictional anthology the editor should and can be listed.

If editors wish to be removed from fictional anthologies they can request it in this group.

--> Removing an author does not delete a book from the system but does remove the book from the authors page.

I am curious if authors can delete their own account. Let's see what other librarians will say.

Also I'm not sure I understand your question, do you mean editors for anthologies or authors editing the authors on the anthologies? Do you mean deleting an author/editor from a book or from the database?

In any case they should ask in this group or the author feedback group. Every issue is looked at separately and there are no rules that cover all issues that come up with the database. Sometimes it takes a super-librarian or a staff member to make a decision and edit the database accordingly.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41056 comments Mod
Abcdarian wrote: "I wouldn't think it would affect the book. If the editor no longer had a "Goodreads Author" claimed page, there would still be a regular author page for him/her I believe. Most author pages are not claimed."

Correct. When an author deletes their account, it has no affect on the books they have published -- except that the "Goodreads Author" notation goes away.

message 8: by Empress (last edited May 05, 2014 11:07AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) rivka wrote: "Abcdarian wrote: "I wouldn't think it would affect the book. If the editor no longer had a "Goodreads Author" claimed page, there would still be a regular author page for him/her I believe. Most au..."

That is what I though, but will that also delete their private account or not? I don't know why I am left with the impression authors have the author account and a private one. Might be because of the different avatars.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41056 comments Mod
Authors can only delete their private account. They cannot delete the author account. But deleting the private one makes the author account unclaimed.

message 10: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) rivka wrote: "Authors can only delete their private account. They cannot delete the author account. But deleting the private one makes the author account unclaimed."

Thank you.

message 11: by Wayne (new)

Wayne C. Weeks (wweeks) | 6 comments I have a problem with none of my books showing up on my author page. The book is "A Decision for Eternity" it's a Kindle book. Can be found at: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ISGC8JE I think the problem is that the author name is showing up with an extra "BY" in front. Can anyone fix this or tell me how?
Thanks,
Wayne

message 12: by Randee (new)

Randee Baty | 61 comments #11 should be fixed now.

message 13: by Wayne (new)

Wayne C. Weeks (wweeks) | 6 comments Hey Randee... It looks like it is fixed. Thank you very, very much!
Have a blessed day!
Wayne

message 14: by W.H. (new)

W.H. (lovetiggi) | 98 comments If an author wants to permanently delete their account from Goodreads, is that even possible? Just asking in general.

message 15: by Deon (new)

Deon (deonva) | 3379 comments 14: rivka answered this in message 7&9

"When an author deletes their account, it has no affect on the books they have published -- except that the "Goodreads Author" notation goes away."

"Authors can only delete their private account. They cannot delete the author account. But deleting the private one makes the author account unclaimed. "