Mythgard Institute Scholars Group discussion

J.K. Rowling
This topic is about J.K. Rowling
Taking Harry Seriously > Taking Harry Seriously

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Masters | 1 comments Hi all,

I've had a go setting up a sub-section of the group for the Summer 2014 'Taking Harry Seriously' course. I've also created a bookshelf, to which I've added our required reading. If they have ISBNs, I'll also try to add any recommended reading we get given throughout the term.

Feel free to get involved and say hi. I'm reasonably new to this site but it looks like it could be fun.

Aaron

message 2: by Franny (new)

Franny Moore-kyle | 1 comments I took the course in 2012, and though I had read all the books at least twice before, I found much more depth and intricacy reading them as part of Dr. Sturgis's class. Enjoy!

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric Bryant (erancal) | 5 comments Thanks for setting this up Aaron. I'll give it a go.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin Grant | 1 comments Looking forward to participating!

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2 comments I'm very much enjoying re-reading the Harry Potter series (again!) accompanied by Dr. Sturgis' insights. Especially delighting in the crazy amount of subtle foreshadowing in the first couple books.

Socks! From the second page of the 2nd chapter of Philosopher's Stone, Harry is brushing off a large spider from a pair of socks he found under his bed in the cupboard-under-the-stairs as he's getting ready to go to the zoo.

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2 comments Spoilers here if you haven't completed the series.

Another couple of small foreshadowings - on the Knight Bus, Harry tells Stan Shunpike that his name is Neville Longbottom (the alternative from the prophesy). Also, Ernie Prang said that he gets the 'collywobbles.' Nice to see that British term used in anticipation of the codeword between Arthur and Molly Weasley.