Book Haven discussion

Thoughts on dragons?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (mccannx) I am working on writing my first fantasy novel, and was not planning to include dragons, but now I am reconsidering... I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share their thoughts on what aspects of dragons make them appealing?

Best,
Joe

message 2: by Bryan (new)

Bryan (bmcohen2780) | 9 comments Dragons are always a good idea in fantasy, even if they're just in the background

message 3: by Bryan (new)

Bryan (bmcohen2780) | 9 comments What makes them appealing is they are near indestructible, the ultimate challenge.

message 4: by Anita (last edited May 07, 2014 09:28PM) (new)

Anita Viccica - Toss (goodreadsnitareeny) | 13 comments I think having a dragon or dragons in a fantasy novel would be a great idea! A cool additional element to the storyline :) I have to agree with Bryan...they're appealing and nearly indestructible! :)

message 5: by E.G. (new)

E.G. Manetti (thornraven) It depends on whether or not it fits your story. Dragons in fantasy vary dramatically in they way they are depicted: Fight allies with humans (Dragon Riders of pern or The Dragon Knight series); destroyers (Smaug in the Hobbit); or mystical forces (Earthsea). Adding a dragon for a trope's sake probably won't help the narrative.

message 6: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) I agree with E. G., everything in a story should be there to drive the story along. You should also try and make your dragons unique, and not follow conventional rules.

message 7: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Grey | 125 comments I agree with E.J. and David- you shouldn't just throw them into the story because they're cool (which they are!). Thye need to be an integral part of the story with a reason for being there and moving the storyline forward. That being said- I think they flying/fire elements are what I love about them.