Book Junkies discussion

HELP!! > Thoughts on dragons?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (mccannx) | 5 comments I am working on writing my first fantasy novel, and was not planning to include dragons, but now I am reconsidering... I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share their thoughts on what aspects of dragons make them appealing?

Best,
Joe

message 2: by Moselle (new)

Moselle (inkandquill) | 33 comments Well I think the thought that they have contradicting nature... Sort of like they are vicious yet mysteriously alluring.

I cannot really put it in plain words, but I guess you had an inkling on what I mean.

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (mccannx) | 5 comments Yep, a few folks have mentioned to me the duality of majestic yet terrifying... thanks!

message 4: by Zippymae (last edited Nov 07, 2014 08:45PM) (new)

Zippymae | 4 comments I used to watch Gargoyles as a kid. The show kind of shaped my view of dragons because I viewed the gargoyles as part dragon and part human. Gargoyles protect. I think I viewed the dragon as the king of all mythical beasts protector of those beneath him.

message 5: by Galaxy Press (new)

Galaxy Press (goodreadscomgalaxypress) | 9 comments Moselle wrote: "Well I think the thought that they have contradicting nature... Sort of like they are vicious yet mysteriously alluring..."

I agree with Moselle on this - when done right, there is the appeal of the dangerous aspect, while at the same time the feel that one could connect.

♥,
Cat at Galaxy Press

message 6: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 6 comments Dragon have an interesting appeal. They can be brutish beasts that ravage the country side like a rabid animal or they can be very intelligent with a nasty streak like in Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold and other Landover books. Whatever you choose, do not add a dragon unless you know what you want and if they fit the story.

message 7: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) what aspects of dragons make them appealing?

The way they purr, when you stroke their chins.

message 8: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) Wait. Maybe that's cats.

message 9: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) Joseph wrote: "I am working on writing my first fantasy novel, and was not planning to include dragons, but now I am reconsidering... I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share their thoughts on what aspects of dragons make them appealing?"

My honest answer would be that I find different takes on dragons more interesting then just re-encountering things that worked, in the past. Especially, a dragon that fits your story and no other. Something unique.

If I answer the question more directly, I'd say that I prefer the more animalistic, ancient powerhouse monsters over the wise, or magical or celestial of dragons. And I'm really tired of dragons who can turn into humans. Really, really tired.

message 10: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Manchester (randompersonoffthestreets) | 5 comments What you're asking is at odds with what you want. You're asking other people's opinions but if it's your story you can't know if that will fit. I, for one, will need more detail as to the type of story.
Are the dragons an active part or just mysterious creatures hiding in the mountains (or wherever)?
Are they the bad guys, burning down villages and taking the livestock?
Are they peaceful yet will kill to defend their territory?
These are just some basic things you need to think about if you want to use dragons. It's actually kind of pointless asking other people if you don't even know what you like. If you do know, then you need to write about your strengths, not what others think because then you will not be able to get the description right. You'll just be going off what others say, which will leave your descriptions to a bare minimum and won't be as good as when you are writing about what you think.
I would suggest reading books involving dragons and see which type you prefer.
But then, that's just what I think would be useful. Feel free to ignore me. I won't mind.