The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Thoughts on dragons?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (mccannx) I am working on writing my first fantasy novel, and I did not plan to include dragons, but I have met a few people who love dragons. I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share their thoughts on what aspects of dragons make them appealing?

Best,
Joe

message 2: by Shana (new)

Shana Wolfe | 38 comments Dragons are appealing due to their being intelligent...whether they speak or are just ridden...they think and have human emotions. Plus the fact that they have skills beyond breathing/creating fire and are beautiful and powerful. "Smaug" from the Hobbit is powerful, beautiful and he thinks even after sleeping for so long amongst the gold of the Dwarves. They are mostly depicted as "evil" or on the bad side, however they can be good or even saint-like. They are magical creatures...

Hope my thoughts help. :-)

message 3: by Katie.g (new)

Katie.g | 129 comments Yeah. They're really powerful and knowledgable too. You should think about how you want to portray them if you do add dragons in. Like in Eragon, dragons can talk to you using their minds, in Game of Thrones they can't talk they're just really dangerous beasts. I haven't read Seraphina yet but in that one they can take human form. Also you should think about how dragons fit into your story. Do they add to it or are you adding them for the sake of it. You should think about creating a history around them. Are there lots of them or only a few left? What is their relationship/history with humans? What are their abilities/limitations?

Just some things to think about. Hope that helps :)

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (morethanfairytales) | 115 comments Not only are dragons awe-inspiring and exciting to read about, but they often carry metaphors and deeper meaning. The book that comes to mind is The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, where a selfish little boy is overwhelmed by the wealth he finds on an island, and his greed turns him into a dragon overnight. The transformation sets up a great, vivid passage that becomes a turning point in his character development.

Other than that, I'd echo what Katie said -- think about how dragons will enhance your story if you choose to use them.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina (dinobrarian) They can be adorable ( as well as smart) like Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon. I'd say it depends on what you're writing. Does it truly fit? Or is it something you can ease into and expand on in a sequel?

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (mccannx) Thanks all for giving me feedback! What I am most interested in is your personal response to reading about dragons, what makes them interesting to you? Dragons came up in a conversation, and the person I was talking to said they were a a huge fan of dragons. I hadn't considered having dragons before, but I can see where it could add another dimension to my story...but I have read so few stories with dragons, I was hoping to get your visceral response to dragons. Thanks again for any thoughts that you are willing to share!

message 7: by Evan (new)

Evan | 36 comments My response to a properly written dragon is awe and terror. More than any other "monster", they are dangerous on so many levels. Even when they are "noble", they still inspire fear. If they are written as cute, then they are done a disservice.

message 8: by r8chh (new)

r8chh | 36 comments I agree with Evan!

message 9: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 395 comments I can not think in dragons as "monsters". I know they can be monsters, but I think more of them as magical beings, powerful and mysterious.

message 10: by Dorottya (new)

Dorottya (dorottya_b) | 64 comments I like any fantasy species in a book if they are written about in an original way, but more or less authentically... and they are not only a ploy to introdeuce someone's who's rough, mysteriously sexy and a sex god :D.
I actually like dragons. I like how powerful and hot-tempered they can be, yet the same time, intelligent and mysterious.

message 11: by Jim (last edited May 14, 2014 04:52PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic C.K. Chesterton (Writer/Philosopher/Poet) expressed his personal thoughts pertaining to the inclusion of dragons in fairy tales. The quote may be applied to some classic and modern fantasy works as well.

"Fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already because it is in the world already. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of evil.

The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon."

message 12: by Manda (new)

Manda (ohstanley) | 11 comments Dragons...look really cool. Giant flying lizards? hell yes. And gorgeous colored scales, you know? And the sizes of them. Imagining something that big is scary and awesome. The idea that you could control one, or have one be your ally--too cool. I'd want to pet one. And I'd want to know what kind of noises it makes. Like a horse or a lion, or? Yeah.

message 13: by Claire (new)

Claire Boston (clairebostonauthor) I love dragons and I love the way they can be written in so many different ways. Books with dragons are always a favourite, but only if they need to be there. There's no point to have a dragon fly in and out just for the sake of having a dragon, they need to be integral to the story.