Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

General > goodreads

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John | 42 comments What ever did I or you do before GOODREADS? I did have a card file of books read with reviews but I also had a collection of thousands of books which I knew little about. Now I can check out the book before reading and keep a record of what has been read and so forth. I found this site by accident and so glad of it. AND TO GET TO SHARE WHAT I THINK OF WHAT I HAVE READ IS SO MUCH FUN. I am certain , I now read more because of this site. When I read a book now ,I am not reading it alone . Now I know I am not the only person addicted to reading. Well you do not have to be addicted but just love to read.

message 2: by Angel (new)

Angel When I first joined Goodreads (after a friend suggested it) I wasn't too sure about it- it just seemed like alot of work entering all of my books etc. so I didn't do very much on the site for awhile. But once I got tired of the drama of Facebook and realized I just wanted to talk about my books I came back to the site and I really like it. I especially like the book challenges and how you can set your goal and they track it for you! Sure beats writing them down on the calendar!

message 3: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Angel wrote: "When I first joined Goodreads (after a friend suggested it) I wasn't too sure about it- it just seemed like alot of work entering all of my books etc. so I didn't do very much on the site for awhil..."

same here Angel! I log on Facebook now and the majority of my updates (we're talking like 99% of them) are updates from Goodreads, and it makes me smile every time I see it. I'm so glad that Goodreads has become my comfort site (along with Tumblr) because Facebook has really been getting old. and I'm such an organization freak when it comes to my books, so I love that we can create different shelves by which to organize and things like that, this place is fantastic!

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 63 comments I agree. I've come to new books because of recommendations and new friends from contacts on Goodreads.

message 5: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 418 comments I started out with index cards because I was reading a lot of Agatha Christie and John D. MacDonald and several times bought duplicate books. I ended up using index cards for books I wanted to read, books I read, books that the library had but I hadn't read yet, etc. From index cards I went to a database, Lotus Approach and then Microsoft Office Access. Now I just use GoodReads. So much easier.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I didnt have any tracking system :0

message 7: by Lee (new)

Lee Whitney (boobearcat) | 99 comments me neither

message 8: by Fijke (new)

Fijke | 31 comments I switched to Goodreads not too long ago, but I'd been active on a different online book community for a few years already, so all I had to do to get started was import my existing online shelf to my Goodreads account and manually add a few books for which that didn't work. So far I'm really glad I joined Goodreads, because it's a very vibrant and varied community. It's rewarding to get involved in discussions and groups here.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments whose idea was Goodreads? We should have a national holiday for him/her. I never had a tracking system. Now I do and it works great. :)

message 10: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments Once upon a time I thought I had a unique affliction. Everyone around me looked at me and shook their heads like I was a lost cause and no chance for help. First came internet and then came Goodreads. Internet reduced the world into bit-size pieces and Goodreads introduced me to kindling brother/sister spirits. I wasn’t alone anymore! What was once hidden among the masses is now for all to see. I enjoy discussing books and authors but even more I like meeting new people that think, enjoy and value the same things I do. I learn of new books and authors which broadens my reading interests. The yearly challenge stimulates me to greater heights. I hope others think as me and see Goodreads as a win/win situation.

message 11: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 418 comments Ditto, Thom!

message 12: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 151 comments Nice comment Thom!

message 13: by Deirdra (new)

Deirdra (thegirlcanread) | 10 comments I'd like to say that The Left Behind series is changing me. These books are number two out of all I have read in 41 years. Number one is my NIV Quest bible. A year ago neither would have been in the top ten. I went looking for an apocolyptic book as a change from historical fiction. These books are a close shave from reality. Ask yourself how'd you feel if you were left behind. Then ask if you can leave these books unread. You can't fake the walk or assume mediocre is going to get you the distance. Yes, it's fiction but also a wakeup call for those who are listening. So this is my shout out. Get these books! That is all.

message 14: by Michelle Von (new)

Michelle Von  (twinklingstarlight) I didn't have anything to start with; though I've always loved books, I didn't need a database because I didn't have many books available to me. In 2010, when Facebook allowed you to put FB apps on your profile page (not just the connected apps we all use now), they had one called "Visual Bookshelf" that showed the covers of the books on your profile and allowed a few basic features like rating, etc. Then when Facebook cut that out in 2011, the app directed me here. Between Goodreads (and Amazon), I've been buying a LOT of books, and now I do need a database! This is a much better experience :)

message 15: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand @Deirdra I like to imagine the rapture has already happened and no one made the grade. :-D

message 16: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 63 comments Deirdra wrote: "I'd like to say that The Left Behind series is changing me. These books are number two out of all I have read in 41 years. Number one is my NIV Quest bible. A year ago neither would have been in..."

Not so much into End Times literature - if you've read one, you've read them all. However, I did find The Fourth Reich to be a much, much better read than the Left Behind series - which telegraphs things a bit too much on the nose - couldn't get past the first book.

Hard to say for sure because I was in a different place then (into these types of stories), but based on my memories it'd still be a pretty decent post-apocalyptic read for the non-religious. (or at least non-evangelical) Looking on the reviews on here, it's hard to tell whether or not it stands up if you're not deep in. Some appear to give it a low score because it doesn't line up with their beliefs (which is a weird reason to score a fiction book badly) and others focus on it as a book.

message 17: by David (new)

David James (goodreadscomdavid_james) | 29 comments Thom wrote: "Once upon a time I thought I had a unique affliction. Everyone around me looked at me and shook their heads like I was a lost cause and no chance for help. First came internet and then came Goodrea..."

Good for you, Thom. Do you read ebooks as well? They don't have nice covers but they don't keep closing up on you and your place is always where you last read.

message 18: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments I have more traditional books than eBooks but I read them pretty much one on one. I prefer paper and print but can't argue with the price of eBooks. Many of the books on my Kindle are freebees. I've discovered that high prices don't guarantee good books. I love words and the worlds they create.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I came upon this site by accident. I was just putting books on shelves that my husband made for me and writing them down in a notebook, I still didn't have any idea how many I had. I enjoy the reviews for other readers and myself to look back on. Mostly it is nice to communicate with others who apparently have a love of books as much as I do.

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments I found Goodreads when I was trying to find a way to keep track of what books I owned and which ones I wanted to buy in the series I collected. I kept finding myself buying books I already had and the spreadsheets I had on my computer and the binder I kept the ever changing list in was crazy to keep up with. I really enjoy finding books I haven't ever heard of as well as authors. Getting recommendations for books from other readers has really expanded my reading as I used to be in such a rut with the types of books I read.

message 21: by K (new)

K | 286 comments Melissa wrote: "I found Goodreads when I was trying to find a way to keep track of what books I owned and which ones I wanted to buy in the series I collected. I kept finding myself buying books I already had an..."

That is exactly the reason I stumbled across Goodreads, Melissa. :)