The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) The Sea of Monsters discussion

How Do You Pronounce "Hephaestus?"

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by AC (new) - added it

AC What do you think?

Huh-fī-stis
or
Heh-fist-es

Now to make it official:

YOU DECIDE!

Aurian haha I pronounce either heh-fay-stus or heh-fest-us

Giovanni Othello Ria wrote: "haha I pronounce either heh-fay-stus or heh-fest-us"

Yeah i do as well

Roger heh-fay-stus as well

Babafaba(Hypnos)((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore))(((Scuttle)))((((Scar)))) Aidan wrote: "What do you think?

Huh-fī-stis
or
Heh-fist-es

Now to make it official:

YOU DECIDE!"

They are both wrong. I pronounce it like ee-fe-stus. I'm not sure though.

Daisy Ria wrote: "haha I pronounce either heh-fay-stus or heh-fest-us"

That's how I do it :)

Stevie Me too.

Kelly Brigid ♡ Like "heh-fay-stus". I may be wrong though, lol!

Babafaba(Hypnos)((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore))(((Scuttle)))((((Scar)))) Daisy wrote: "Ria wrote: "haha I pronounce either heh-fay-stus or heh-fest-us"

That's how I do it :)"

You mean the heh-Fay-stus or the heh-fest-us? Because I kinda do the heh-fest-us not the other.

Kimber Heh-fest-us

Darin Check the dictionary or listen to the audio book.

message 12: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Grassi Huh-fest-us

message 13: by JOIE (new) - rated it 5 stars

JOIE I say Hef-ay-stus

message 14: by Neha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neha That's He-festus :D

Daisy Babafaba(Hypnos)((Awesome Bob))(((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore)))((((Scuttle)))) wrote: "Daisy wrote: "Ria wrote: "haha I pronounce either heh-fay-stus or heh-fest-us"

That's how I do it :)"

You mean the heh-Fay-stus or the heh-fest-us? Because I kinda do the heh-fest-us not the other."

Well I usually do heh-fay-stus but occasionally I find myself saying heh-fes-stus!

Also while we're on the subject of pronunciations, how is Daedalus meant to be pronounced? I say day-del-us because that's how it looks to me and they said it like that on a TV show based on Greek mythology that I watched once. But my mum and sister think it's dee-del-us. Does anyone know which is right?

Chappy as i listened to the audio book edition i heard it as
ha-fest-us also the way they say thalia is different in the movie/audiobook editions. i heard it as tha-lia where as in the movie its ta-lia

Parmida Asadi i pronounce it "he-phes-tus"

message 18: by Cally (last edited May 11, 2014 05:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cally I always said it like this: Heh-fa-stus...

Daisy It's funny in PJ how they tell us how some words that we could have worked out quite easily is supposed to be pronounced, like 'Calypso' and it doesn't for the ones we actually do struggle with like 'Hephaestus'!

Ambar hi (as in "hit") - face (as in "hay") - tuss

Cecily I looked it up, I read it in books, and it's
hee-fes-tus.

Cecily Daisy wrote: "Babafaba(Hypnos)((Awesome Bob))(((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore)))((((Scuttle)))) wrote: "Daisy wrote: "Ria wrote: "haha I pronounce either heh-fay-stus or heh-fest-us"

That's how I do i..."

I say die-duh-lus.

Serena heff-eest-oss (Hephestus), Daedalus is deed-a-luss at least according to Greek Myths and Legends by Cheryl Evans which is a book Rick Riordan had mentioned as recommended reading here (bottom of the page) :

http://www.rickriordan.com/my-books/p...

Daisy Okay, thanks :)

Rachel Paige  Hamlin He-fes-tus
I'm basing this off Leo's festus comment, which he thought was the name. He was corrected later, but I'm thinking it must sound similar if he messed it up.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Babafaba(Hypnos)((Awesome Bob))(((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore)))((((Scuttle)))) wrote: "Aidan wrote: "What do you think?

Huh-fī-stis
or
Heh-fist-es

Now to make it official:

YOU DECIDE!"

They are both wrong. I pronounce it like ee-fe-stus. I'm not sure though."

Me too.

Daisy Shahdia wrote: "I pronounce it heh-fy (rhyming with my) -stus"

Well that's new. ;)

Inês Ria wrote: "haha I pronounce either heh-fay-stus or heh-fest-us"
as well too :D

Rowan Heh-fest-us.

Kayla Evans (Scooby Doo) Rowan wrote: "Heh-fest-us."
I say it the same way

message 31: by Sherlindreah (last edited Nov 30, 2014 03:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sherlindreah Heh-fah-es-tus since ae is a diphthong in greek (you say both letters)

message 32: by Izzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Izzy h-u-f-aye-s-t-u-s

****Kelly***** huh-fest-us

That's how i say it

Natasha He-fe-stus

message 35: by David (new) - added it

David hef-AY-stes

message 36: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara heh-fest-us

Joelle C. heh-fest-us is how it's pronounced

Simon Heh-feast-us

message 39: by Lydia (new)

Lydia B hep-ay-est-tus....LOL

message 40: by Izzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Izzy Huh- faye- stuhs

message 41: by Maire (new) - added it

Maire it's in Latin form it sometimes doesn't sound what looks
hef-fi-sis:that's how I say it.

key: say "Leo Valdez is the son of______(whatever you pronounce it) then,does it sound right.If it sounds right then you're right.end of story.as long as you know what that word means,it's just a unique way of saying word that sound diffrent but means the same thing.

Sic Transit Gloria Now you have me all confused, dang it!

I think I pronounce it Heh-fest-us.

ella I thought is was like 'Heh-feh-stus' but when I look it up it says that it's more like 'Ee-pha-stus-' or something. I forget, you can Google it.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Her-fay-stust

message 45: by Lydia (new)

Lydia B i pronounce it heh-fee-sus

Aaron Jinks Heh-fest-us

Queenjuicy Huh-Fee-stus

message 49: by Ally (new)

Ally I am fairly sure the people way to pronounce it is "Heff-AY-stus". Here's why:

So in Greek, I was told the general rule is that you usually pronounce all the vowels. Per-seh-fo-nee as opposed to per-seh-fone. Aff-ro-die-tee as opposed to Aff-ro-dite. Heh-kay-tee as opposed to heh-kate. Sy-khee (psyche) as apposed to Syke.

It gets a little trickier with the 'ae'. Usually, the combination of ae is pronounced like 'ay', sort of as if saying the letter 'a' as opposed to making a drawn out 'aaah' or 'eee'. In the golden compass, 'Daemon' was pronounced like the name Damon rather than 'Demon'. Its an early form of an a that ends with a subtle e sound that we usually associate with 'ay' phonetically -- the a rolls into the e, so it is kind of the best way to pronounce the a and the e at the same time, as I was told you're supposed to with Greek vowels. Thus it seems most likely that the name Hephaestus has an 'ayy' sound rather than an e.

Daedalus is the same in my opinion. Day-dal-us.

So yeah. Tl;Dr: to me it makes the most phonetic sense, given the language (the way I was taught to pronounce it), to say 'Heh-fay-stus' and 'Day-dal-us'

message 50: by Ally (new)

Ally *proper not people. Silly autocorrect.

« previous 1