Black Coffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly book nominations > July: Historical Fiction Nomination

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Londa (last edited May 04, 2014 07:20PM) (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Time to nominate a Historical Fiction for July!

The theme for July is Humor! We tend to get deep around here and need to lighten things up a bit. It does not have to be laugh-out-loud, but at the very least.. light-hearted. If you know of a novel that can give us a few laughs/smiles while we look in on the past... PLEASE nominate it here. :0)

Nominate any historical fiction with AA, African continent, or African diaspora themes.

One nomination per member please.

This thread will close on May 16th!

message 2: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments I think I am going to go with..

A Taste of Honey Stories by Jabari Asim
A Taste of Honey: Stories by Jabari Asim

I have read many reviews that comment on it's uplifting nature :0)

The sixteen connected stories in this exciting debut are set in the fictional Midwestern town of Gateway City, where second generation off-spring of the Great Migrators have pieced together a thriving, if fragile existence. With police brutality on the rise, the civil rights movement gaining momentum, and wars raging at home and abroad, Asim has conjured a community that stands on edge. But it is the individual struggles with love, childrearing, adolescence, etc, lyrically chronicled here, that create a piercing portrait of humanity.

message 3: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

kisha | 3907 comments Mod
I will second A Taste of Honey: stories Londa.

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments I have read this book and I gave it a "5" star which is rare for me. But my reading buddies who also read gave it 4s & 5s.

For those who have young children - I also recommend his children's books.

message 5: by Mocha Girl (new)

Mocha Girl (mochagirl) | 35 comments I enjoyed this book too. I think it was on my personal "Top Favs" list for the year it was released.

message 6: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2489 comments Mod
Honey, Hush! An Anthology of African American Women's Humor by Daryl Cumber Dance Honey, Hush!: An Anthology of African American Women's Humor

The vibrant humor of African American women is celebrated in this bold and unique collection that the Miami Herald describes as "breathtakingly broad and deep."

In this "dazzling anthology" (Publishers Weekly), Daryl Cumber Dance has collected the often hard-hitting, sometimes risqué, always dramatic humor that arises from the depth of black women's souls and the breadth of their lives. The eloquent wit and laughter of African American women are presented here in all their written and spoken manifestations: autobiographies, novels, essays, poems, speeches, comic routines, proverbial sayings, cartoons, mimeographed sheets, and folk tales. The chapters proceed thematically, covering the church, love, civil rights, motherly advice, and much more.

message 7: by Heidi (last edited May 08, 2014 06:14PM) (new)

Heidi The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat by Edward Kelsey Moore
The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat

I've been wanting to read this book and it's supposed to have its humorous moments...

message 8: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

kisha | 3907 comments Mod
heidi Lulu, londa and I are reading that right now for a buddy read you should join....of course it can still go for nomination for July.

message 9: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2489 comments Mod
Yay Heidi! Join us if you can! The more the merrier!

message 10: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Please go vote! Last day to vote is May 30th.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.