Veronica Mars Book Club discussion

The Thousand Dollar Tan Line > TTDTL Chapter 29-34

Comments Showing 1-50 of 276 (276 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Neptune Rising (new)

Neptune Rising | 587 comments Mod
Let's kick off our discussion of The Thousand Dollar Tan Line, chapters 29-34! Things are starting to get really interesting!

message 2: by Mia (new)

Mia (aylaeh) hi everyone. let's get the party started :)

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 24 comments I'm here! What talking point are we starting with tonight?

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Crull-sher (habitualrereader) | 99 comments I was like 25% certain that Hayley's body was going to be in that freezer. I'm glad it wasn't, but I thought it was.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 24 comments Hannah wrote: "I was like 25% certain that Hayley's body was going to be in that freezer. I'm glad it wasn't, but I thought it was."

I'm glad it wasn't too, because it was just too eerily similar to Amelia.

message 6: by Mia (new)

Mia (aylaeh) Susan wrote: "Hannah wrote: "I was like 25% certain that Hayley's body was going to be in that freezer. I'm glad it wasn't, but I thought it was."

I'm glad it wasn't too, because it was just too eerily similar..."

yeah. i thought that it was to similar for her to be in that ice machine.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 75 comments I was afraid it was going to be in the freezer too; reminded me too much of when she found Amelia's

message 8: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Susan wrote: "Hannah wrote: "I was like 25% certain that Hayley's body was going to be in that freezer. I'm glad it wasn't, but I thought it was."

Agreed.

message 9: by Neptune Rising (new)

Ch 29 Plot Point: Veronica realizes that while Chad could not have gotten from Stanford to Neptune to kill Hayley and back in time for class, he COULD have gotten to Bakersfield...

message 10: by Neptune Rising (new)

Things are NOT looking good for Chad. He seemed like a jerk anyway right?

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Crull-sher (habitualrereader) | 99 comments Susan wrote: "Hannah wrote: "I was like 25% certain that Hayley's body was going to be in that freezer. I'm glad it wasn't, but I thought it was."

I was glad too. I would've been annoyed that they did that again. I don't know why I thought it could be again.

message 12: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (gonzo_lux) | 17 comments I sometimes forget that VM is noir, so I was surprised at first that Hayley didn't make it to the end.

message 13: by Mia (new)

Mia (aylaeh) Neptune Rising wrote: "Ch 29 Plot Point: Veronica realizes that while Chad could not have gotten from Stanford to Neptune to kill Hayley and back in time for class, he COULD have gotten to Bakersfield..."

and this is when i knew...

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan | 24 comments I did a little happy dance when I realized it was Chad since I didn't like him and then I was mad because of the allusions of LoVe being like Chad and Hayley (which by the way I HATED).

message 15: by Neptune Rising (new)

Ch 29 PP: Veronica investigates the Lake Creek Motel. The Amelia flashbacks start, and my stomach sinks.

message 16: by Mia (new)

Mia (aylaeh) Neptune Rising wrote: "Things are NOT looking good for Chad. He seemed like a jerk anyway right?"

yes, he was totally a jerk!

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 75 comments I never trusted Chad from the beginning

message 18: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Chad definitely seemed like a jerk. At this point, he seems very guilty.

message 19: by Neptune Rising (new)

Great point! We laugh so much in VM the crying can sometimes seem like whiplash, and a great reminder this is noir. And thats why we LoVe it right?

Deborah wrote: "I sometimes forget that VM is noir, so I was surprised at first that Hayley didn't make it to the end."

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (gonzo_lux) | 17 comments I'm not surprised Veronica could investigate the Motel by herself, but I would be SO freaked out. PIs see some crazy stuff, but I don't think they are generally looking for possible bodies.

message 21: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Susan wrote: "I did a little happy dance when I realized it was Chad since I didn't like him and then I was mad because of the allusions of LoVe being like Chad and Hayley (which by the way I HATED)."
I hated that too!

message 22: by Grace (new)

Grace | 37 comments Hannah wrote: "I was like 25% certain that Hayley's body was going to be in that freezer. I'm glad it wasn't, but I thought it was."

I thought she'd be in there like Amelia too!

message 23: by Grace (new)

Grace | 37 comments Neptune Rising wrote: "Things are NOT looking good for Chad. He seemed like a jerk anyway right?"

Definitely a jerk. I was really surprised she was dead.

message 24: by Neptune Rising (new)

Our Veronica is a brave brave woman. I was scared for her.

Deborah wrote: "I'm not surprised Veronica could investigate the Motel by herself, but I would be SO freaked out. PIs see some crazy stuff, but I don't think they are generally looking for possible bodies."

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Crull-sher (habitualrereader) | 99 comments Neptune Rising wrote: "Great point! We laugh so much in VM the crying can sometimes seem like whiplash, and a great reminder this is noir. And thats why we LoVe it right?

Deborah wrote: "I sometimes forget that VM is ..."

I was a little surprised too, but I'm glad that she was dead before Veronica even got the case. I don't know how she would've handled it if Hayley had been killed after she started investigating. This way she knows there was never a chance of her figuring it out quickly enough to save Hayley.

message 26: by Neptune Rising (new)

Ch 29 PP: The Lake Creek Motel had one check in the morning Hayley disappeared, at 4:15am.

message 27: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Hannah wrote: "Susan wrote: "Hannah wrote: "I was like 25% certain that Hayley's body was going to be in that freezer. I'm glad it wasn't, but I thought it was."

I found myself totally riveted to the book as Veronica approached the ice maker. I felt like the comparison helped to up the emotional ante on the scene.

message 28: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 75 comments In a way I wasn't surprised Haley didn't make it; there seems to be no happy endings in Neptune

message 29: by Neptune Rising (new)

Ch 29 PP: What were your reactions when Veronica found the bloodstain????

message 30: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Crull-sher (habitualrereader) | 99 comments Susan wrote: "I did a little happy dance when I realized it was Chad since I didn't like him and then I was mad because of the allusions of LoVe being like Chad and Hayley (which by the way I HATED)."

That bugs me too. She's still seriously underselling them. I wish Veronica would see how much they've grown since high school and realize that they aren't that couple anymore AT ALL.

message 31: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (mirandawagner) | 3 comments I was hoping Veronica would find her alive

message 32: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (gonzo_lux) | 17 comments Hannah wrote: "Neptune Rising wrote: "Great point! We laugh so much in VM the crying can sometimes seem like whiplash, and a great reminder this is noir. And thats why we LoVe it right?

Deborah wrote: "I somet..."

Yeah, I didn't think about that Hannah. Good point. Nothing Veronica could have done. Now Sheriff Lamb...

message 33: by Mia (new)

Mia (aylaeh) Hannah wrote: "Neptune Rising wrote: "Great point! We laugh so much in VM the crying can sometimes seem like whiplash, and a great reminder this is noir. And thats why we LoVe it right?

Interesting. I never thought about that.

message 34: by Neptune Rising (new)

I had NOT thought of that! Veronica's sense of justice and personal accountability is so strong, that definitely would have been hard for her to handle.

Hannah wrote: "Neptune Rising wrote: "Great point! We laugh so much in VM the crying can sometimes seem like whiplash, and a great reminder this is noir. And thats why we LoVe it right?

message 35: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Christy wrote: "Susan wrote: "I did a little happy dance when I realized it was Chad since I didn't like him and then I was mad because of the allusions of LoVe being like Chad and Hayley (which by the way I HATED..."

But it also made me appreciate Logan and how much he had matured so much.

message 36: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Neptune Rising wrote: "Ch 29 PP: What were your reactions when Veronica found the bloodstain????"

I figured Hayley was dead. But kinda hoped she'd been injured and got away.

message 37: by Grace (new)

Grace | 37 comments Miranda wrote: "I was hoping Veronica would find her alive"

Me too!

message 38: by Cyrus (new)

Cyrus | 130 comments Hannah wrote: "In a way I wasn't surprised Haley didn't make it; there seems to be no happy endings in Neptune"

Yup, it wouldn't be our Neptune if it had an abundance of happy endings. Just enough happiness to make the noir all the more impactful.

message 39: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (gonzo_lux) | 17 comments Bloodstain - I thought DAMN the people who run this motel are unobservant or has really low occupancy. Who wouldn't notice all the furniture had been moved?

message 40: by Neptune Rising (new)

true!

Em wrote: "Christy wrote: "Susan wrote: "I did a little happy dance when I realized it was Chad since I didn't like him and then I was mad because of the allusions of LoVe being like Chad and Hayley (which by..."

message 41: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 75 comments Once Veronica found the bloodstain I knew Haley was dead

message 42: by Neptune Rising (new)

Anyone watch Bates Motel? That place was totally my visual for this scene.

Deborah wrote: "Bloodstain - I thought DAMN the people who run this motel are unobservant or has really low occupancy. Who wouldn't notice all the furniture had been moved?"

message 43: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Crull-sher (habitualrereader) | 99 comments Deborah wrote: "Yeah, I didn't think about that Hannah. Good point. Nothing Veronica could have done. Now Sheriff Lamb...
"

Even the Sheriff couldn't have done anything though. She was never kidnapped, and she was killed by her crazy boyfriend in a moment of passion, no one could've stopped that except Chad or Hayley .

message 44: by Neptune Rising (new)

Ch 29, page 250. LoVe the mention of Veronica's FBI internship!

message 45: by Mia (new)

Mia (aylaeh) Em wrote: "Christy wrote: "Susan wrote: "I did a little happy dance when I realized it was Chad since I didn't like him and then I was mad because of the allusions of LoVe being like Chad and Hayley (which by..."

Another interesting thought that did not occur to me.

message 46: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Crull-sher (habitualrereader) | 99 comments Neptune Rising wrote: "I had NOT thought of that! Veronica's sense of justice and personal accountability is so strong, that definitely would have been hard for her to handle.

Hannah wrote: "Neptune Rising wrote: "Gr..."

Especially with her just coming back to Neptune, and the fact that she couldn't save Gia. It wouldn't have been a good way to start her career as a full-time PI in Neptune.

message 47: by Mia (new)

Mia (aylaeh) Deborah wrote: "Bloodstain - I thought DAMN the people who run this motel are unobservant or has really low occupancy. Who wouldn't notice all the furniture had been moved?"

But in a 'rent by the hour' place who really looks at the furniture?

message 48: by Neptune Rising (new)

Ch PP: Amelia DeLongpre ice maker flashback.
"She walked toward it as if she were in a dream, Or a memory? How many dead girls drifted in her wake? How many ghosts did she have to carry?"

WOW. This line sat with me. Sunk my heart. Veronica has shouldered a very heavy weight with her career choice. Yet no one is as well suited for it as she is.

message 49: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Crull-sher (habitualrereader) | 99 comments Neptune Rising wrote: "Ch 29, page 250. LoVe the mention of Veronica's FBI internship!"

I was starting to wonder if it hadn't happened for some reason. I was really glad they mentioned it too.

message 50: by Cyrus (new)

Cyrus | 130 comments Deborah wrote: "Bloodstain - I thought DAMN the people who run this motel are unobservant or has really low occupancy. Who wouldn't notice all the furniture had been moved?"

The "weirdly bunched up" furniture was definitely something that left me wishing that this was being interpreted in a visual manner somehow.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6