The Pilot's Wife The Pilot's Wife question

Looking for suggestions - Similar but more upbeat
Laura Laura May 04, 2014 03:01PM
Any recommendations for books similar to Anita Shreve's but a bit more "happy?"

I read The Pilot's Wife and Sea Glass many years ago. I barely remember the plots now, but I do remember that I was totally engrossed in both books while reading them. I loved Anita's writing style and I felt very connected to the main characters.

However, the stories felt sad/tragic to me. Especially Sea Glass. Maybe that is necessary to have story be so moving. But I really love a happy ending. (Is that so wrong?) Ever since I've been thinking "I want to read a book like Anita Shreve's but with a happier feel to it."

Does anyone have recommendations along those lines? I have been afraid to read any of Anita's other books for fear they'll be dark.

Some darkness during the book is OK - I just want the main character to be a good person and triumph in the end. And a plot that moves along. (I think the pilot's wife was not too depressing due to the ending. I don't remember much about Sea Glass except for a sad hopeless feeling.)

I've just finished Eden Close and last week I read When or Where.
Both by Anita Shreve.
One has a happy ending and one has a sad ending, but both amazing stories! I would recommend them both to you Laura!

I am a fan of Anita Shreve as well, but also find them a little dark. Have you read any of Maeve Binchy's books? I think she does great character development. Her female leads usually struggle with things throughout the books but they usually triumph in the end.

Laura Thanks for the tip, I have never read any of hers but just looked and they sound really good. Are there any particular Maeve Binchy books you would re ...more
Jun 03, 2015 02:57PM · flag

Have you tried authors like Elizabeth Noble, Martina Reilly, Cecilia Ahern, Lisa Jewell, Marian Keyes, Sinead Moriarty, Dorothy Koomson, Sheila O'Flanagan?

Just naming a few off the top of my head. I know I liked at least some books from them. They're slightly more light-hearted without being ditzy, if you know what I mean. ;)