IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Book Suggestions > June Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) So, we need a bunch of suggestions for next month! Our monthly topic for June will be non fiction....which is super broad, i.e. biographies, memoirs, books on topics like space, chocolate, whatever you can think of! We also need a new series suggestion for June, preferably something not too long( keep it under five books, please). Lastly, we need comic book, graphic novel or manga suggestions! I would prefer a comic or manga, since we're reading a graphic novel in May. I know you guys have suggestions, so throw them my way. :)

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) If we keep reading a series, personally, I would love to discuss the Lord of the Rings trilogy with everyone. :) Also, for manga, I'm going to suggest Fruits Basket- it's one of my favorites.

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire | 45 comments For non-fiction I'm throwing a biography. Audrey Hepburn: an elegant spirit by Sean Hepburn Ferrer.

Series: Trudi Canavan's Age of Five

I have very limited access to graphic novels and the like (my library is a very old person family saga and historical romance kind of place) so I haven't got the foggiest what is out there.

message 4: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (lapetitelydia) | 94 comments The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby is an excellent memoir. Very beautiful. There's also Night by Elie Wiesel which is incredible.

George Orwell has some GREAT non-fiction, as well such as Down and Out in Paris and London and Homage to Catalonia.

As far as series, I agree with Trudi Canavan and am unsure about comics/graphic novels. I've read Sandman by Neil Gaiman and that's about it. :P

message 5: by Clémence (new)

Clémence | 117 comments For the graphic novel : just read Billy, me and you by Nicola Streeten, really good.

message 6: by Stevie (new)

Stevie (yashapup) | 27 comments Oh I love fruits baskets so good!! I don't really have a suggestion for non fiction. Not something I really ever read. But I'll look into the ones you guys have posted for sure :-)

Badschnoodles Genevieve (badschnoodles) | 89 comments I have Walking Home by Simon Armitage on my tbr pile. Also, I quite liked The Girl in the Painted Caravan by Eva Petulengro. I don't read very much non-fiction either.

Badschnoodles Genevieve (badschnoodles) | 89 comments The only manga I've ever read was Death Note so I look forward to finding more! As for series, we already read Cinder last year so how about finishing that series off? Or i think Divergent was on our list too, so maybe the next two of those? Otherwise, I am enjoying Sarah Pinborough's Tales of the Kingdom series, but I think I've suggested them before.

message 9: by Stevie (new)

Stevie (yashapup) | 27 comments Either of those could be good. As I'm halfway through cinder and divergent is on my list to read at the moment anyways.

message 10: by Stevie (new)

Stevie (yashapup) | 27 comments high School Debut would be another good manga to read. Or Ouran High School Host Club. D.Grey Man could be another.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) Loving all these suggestions you guys. :) I have a few other nonfiction book suggestions I think might be good picks- I'll hunt down the titles and you all can tell me what you think.

message 12: by Stevie (new)

Stevie (yashapup) | 27 comments Another series suggestion could be the Caster Chronicles. I don't know who many people have read them but its one on my list at the moment. A suggestion for non fiction... Again not sure how many have read it is The Help or A Street Cat Named Bob.

message 13: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Elliott | 6 comments I don't really have any thoughts on non-fiction. I usually am not a non-fiction reader.
I would like to do the Harry Potter or Lord of the Ring series, I would love to talk to someone about these books. Cinder could be fun, but I haven't read the first one, so I don't know if I would be confused if I came in on the second book.
Hush comic would be fun, I love Batman.

message 14: by Stevie (new)

Stevie (yashapup) | 27 comments Ooooo batman I'm always up for!

message 15: by Eleanor Rooney (new)

Eleanor Rooney | 5 comments non fiction suggestions - the girl in the picture by denise chong or honey and dust by piers morgan ede. Indulgence by Paul Richardson is also a good one about chocolate! I'd like to read LOTR as a series and open to any manga/anime series as it's not something I've read before

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie | 45 comments Graphic novel: R.O.D. Read or Die 1
Bookworm power!

Non fiction:I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
This has been on my TBR list forever, so really need to get to it.

Series:Soulless
Love this series

Claire: love Trudi Canavan, have not gotten to that series yet, but it does sound like an awesome read!

message 18: by Clémence (new)

Clémence | 117 comments Batman's a good idea ! Why not the Joker or Arkham Asylum ?

message 19: by Stevie (new)

Stevie (yashapup) | 27 comments Ooo those are good to

message 20: by Clémence (new)

Clémence | 117 comments By "The Koker" I meant "The Killing Joke". Just checked the correct title.

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie Kempski (darthphasma) | 120 comments Non-fiction: Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain is absolutely BRILLIANT (and Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives is wonderful too, but it's technically fiction...), and I think everyone would get a kick out of it.

Manga/Comic: (Simply because I love them) I vote Death Note or Bleach for the manga, and I think Arkham Asylum or a new 52 anything would be wonderful for comics... Or we could read Hark! A Vagrant. I learned so much. ;D

Series: I'm loving a Song of Ice and Fire, but A Series of Unfortunate Events is probably my favorite series ever, and it's totally worth thirteen books. ;D The Legend series by Marie Lu is wonderful too (especially for lovers of Divergent, but Legend is oodles better...). OR OR OR, the GIVER SERIES! Why did I not think of this before? It's PERFECT, and the movie is coming out soon! ;D

message 22: by Ashly (new)

Ashly For nonfiction, I love A.J. Jacob's The Year of Living Biblically and The Know-it-All! They are wonderful pieces of immersion journalism in which he submerges himself into life-pervasive experiments. They are both fascinating and funny.

For manga, Black Butler is awesome!

message 23: by Ashly (new)

Ashly Hyperbole and a Half is also hilarious!

message 24: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (smooshie) | 1 comments Series: (2 parter) --fantasy-- Eon by Alison Goodman

General Fiction: I always, always suggest 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' by Garth Stein. It's one of my very favorite novels ever, and while the narration is unique (from the family dog's pov), the themes are timeless.