IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Saga, Vol. 1
This topic is about Saga, Vol. 1
Book Discussions > May 2014 Graphic Novel: Saga, Volume 1

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (persephone17) So, to spice things up and add some new life to the book club, I made an executive decision: we're going to be reading a graphic novel/comic book/manga selection each month, along with our normal read. I figured since we had so many fans, this would be a good addition- and it's a quicker read for those who don't have the time to give to a 200-300 page novel. So, I decided on a personal favorite for our first selection: Saga by Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples. Here's a synopsis of the first volume:

From New York Times bestselling writer BRIAN K.VAUGHAN (Y: THE LAST MAN, EX MACHINA) and critically acclaimed artist FIONA STAPLES (MYSTERY SOCIETY, NORTH 40), SAGA is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in a sexy, subversive drama for adults.

Saga is kind of hard to explain though- you've got to read it to understand it, but I guarantee, it's worth your time. Like usual, post your thoughts/comments/review below, and May the Fourth Be With You, dear iggles!

p.s. If you would like to continue on with the other volumes of Saga, that's fine; just make sure to mark your reviews of later volumes with 'spoilers'. Thanks!

Badschnoodles Genevieve (badschnoodles) | 89 comments I picked this up today! I've heard really good things about it.

Nicole (lunakaos) I love this series!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Are you into science fiction and/or fantasy? If so then READ THIS BOOK NOW!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Amanda wrote: "Are you into science fiction and/or fantasy? If so then READ THIS BOOK NOW!"

If anyone is into have a conversation about this book/series I'd be willing to join in :)

Badschnoodles Genevieve (badschnoodles) | 89 comments I just read this yesterday. It was brilliant. I laughed out loud several times as well as really feeling for some of the characters. I will definitely be getting the next books as well.

message 7: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Kempski (darthphasma) | 120 comments Just got this from the library, got home, and immediately read it straight through. It was so good! The Will and Izabel are definitely my favorites (SPOILER: Is she really gone? D:). I'm definitely getting the next one ad soon as possible. There's just so many ways this story could go; it's nice to find a comic that's so unpredictable! Good choice, Elizabeth!

Regan (mollytornado) | 36 comments I read volume one quite some time ago, but I thought I would give it another go, and refresh my memory so I could give my two cents over here.

So, my thoughts: It was a bit of a let down. The dialogue isn't always that strong. I found the conversations fairly predictable and generic. The writing can feel stilted, especially when there is swearing. Foul language usually doesn't bother me, but it felt overdone at times.

There is some good art and character design throughout. The Stalker is creepy and awesome, and I want a Lying Cat! Also, how disturbing were those girls when The Will first entered Sexillion? Aaaall legs and mouth.

I am intrigued by The Will and Prince Robot IV's storyline, but not so much by Alana and Marko's. I feel like the writing is better when they get away from them, which is disappointing, since they are the central characters.

My views on Saga did not change with the second reading. It still falls flat for me. I can understand why it is liked, however I do not understand why it is raved about.

Anyway, I thought it was okay. I might read a little more of it, due to The Will, Prince Robot IV and some of Fiona Staple's art.

Elizabeth (persephone17) @Katie & @Badschnoodles, I'm glad you liked it! It's been one of the most talked about graphic novel's in the geek world, so I figured we should read it. :) It made me laugh when I read it, too- and the unpredictability really does make it such a good read. I think my favorite characters so far are Izabel and Lying Cat- I also love Alana and Marko's relationship. The wit and sarcasm really drew me in.

@Regan- I can see why it fell flat for you. I think it's more of a graphic novel you really love, or you're meh about.

Kai Charles(Fiction State Of Mind) (fictionstateofmind) | 2 comments I really love this series. It is finding its footing in the first volumes but gets amazingly better. I love that the focus is on Alana & Marko because so few comic books show a realistic realationship for long periods of time. Comics usually break up characters to keep the book "interesting".

Katie | 45 comments So I loved this book so much, that after I finished reading the book (that I had borrowed from the library) I went and bought it on amazon so I could reread this book whenever I want and ordered the second one from the library, sadly the library does not have the third volume yet, but may harass a teen librarian about that.

Sarah | 15 comments I really really loved this. Graphic novels are pretty much a new genre for me, and most of what I have read in the past was related to things I was already a huge fan of (e.g. Buffy, Neil Gaiman) and so to find something that is a standalone thing and is just so so good is really exciting to me and is making me kick myself for not getting into graphic novels earlier.

But anyway, I loved both the storyline and the storytelling, and while I can agree with Regan that parts of it felt predictable, I think that was what made the non-predictable parts so much more rewarding. And though the predictable parts fall into some pretty deep and well known tropes (the tragic lovers, the hero's quest, etc.), part of me really responded to those aspects of it. I loved that within a few panels, you could tell how deep the relationship between Alana and Marko was, and it was kind of fun to see the story start from the point of childbirth on out. Usually in any sort of romantic tales, that's the "happily ever after" epilogue.

Mostly, I just love me a good space opera. :-)

Now I'm just kicking myself for not having picked up the remaining volumes when I got Volume 1 last night.

Elizabeth (persephone17) Sarah wrote: "I really really loved this. Graphic novels are pretty much a new genre for me, and most of what I have read in the past was related to things I was already a huge fan of (e.g. Buffy, Neil Gaiman) a..."

I'm glad you loved this so much! I read this before we did for book activities, I'd been meaning to read it FOREVER. It definitely was one of my favorites of 2013. I've read volumes 1 & 2, and I seriously need to get 3 & 4 because cliffhanger! Wait until you get farther in the story!

Jazmin Gonzalez | 5 comments Saga is my favorite comic of the moment just got the hard cover I hope everyone enjoyed it