Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > What's your favorite genre?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Varnell Hello everyone! I don't know if anyone else has done this, I couldn't find it when I searched, but I would like to know what your favorite genres are. Mine are a bit varied. I like action, adventure, comedy, romance, and manga, which usually contains all four of the aforementioned genres.

What about you?

message 2: by Amber (last edited May 04, 2014 04:34PM) (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) | 161 comments I love anything that is a good read. I read Young Adult, Scifi, horror, paranormal romance, thrillers, action adventure, graphic novels, cozy mysteries, feel good books and other things like that. If it is a good read, I'll check it out. Fantasy is good too. ^_^

message 3: by Alice (last edited May 05, 2014 04:53PM) (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) My preference is for world classics (especially English, French and Russian), historical fiction, biography, literary fiction and non-fiction.

message 4: by Curran (new)

Curran | 9 comments I prefer books that really cross a variety of genres and thus are hard to peg into one. I'd say my favorite novels have some dystopian, horror, thriller, scifi/fantasy, and something called apocapunk elements.

message 5: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Varnell Curran wrote: "and something called apocapunk elements"

Is that like steampunk combined with the apocalyptic theme?

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee Curran wrote: "I prefer books that really cross a variety of genres and thus are hard to peg into one. I'd say my favorite novels have some dystopian, horror, thriller, scifi/fantasy, and something called apocapu..."

My favourite genres look a lot like Curran's... except I don't know what apocapunk is. Like Brandon, I'm imagining apocalyptic steampunk.

I also like it when there's humour woven into the story.

message 7: by Curran (new)

Curran | 9 comments Ken wrote: "Curran wrote: "I prefer books that really cross a variety of genres and thus are hard to peg into one. I'd say my favorite novels have some dystopian, horror, thriller, scifi/fantasy, and something..."

Yeah, you guys are on the right track. Apocapunk is a fairly new genre... It's picking up steam among writers, but not yet formerly listed on all book sellers. Thick of it as a mashup of steampunk and dystopian...set in the apocalypse.
I agree that humor is important, especially in grimmer books - that can help make characters more well-rounded, in my opinion.

message 8: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Varnell I definitely feel humor is important as well, especially in books that have a more serious tone. Stories that are all doom and gloom tend to make for depressing stories. Adding a bit of humor may offset some of that.

I think that's why I enjoy stories like the Dresden Files. It's got that sarcastic, slightly humorous tone of voice that makes it interesting.

message 9: by Curran (new)

Curran | 9 comments Brandon wrote: "I definitely feel humor is important as well, especially in books that have a more serious tone. Stories that are all doom and gloom tend to make for depressing stories. Adding a bit of humor may o..."

Dresden Files are definitely a good example! Great books.

message 10: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Varnell Curran wrote: "Brandon wrote: "I definitely feel humor is important as well, especially in books that have a more serious tone. Stories that are all doom and gloom tend to make for depressing stories. Adding a bi..."

Ikr. That's why I'm rereading the entire series. Should be interesting.

Do you know any great books filled with action, humor, and good old fashion sarcasm?

message 11: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Martinez (aj-martinez) | 27 comments this is all I have to say http://ajmartinezauthor.com/read-fant...

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 210 comments I have an eclectic taste when it comes to reading and do not prefer one genre over another. As long as a book is technically well-written and entertaining, I'm satisfied.

message 13: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Varnell Jim wrote: "I have an eclectic taste when it comes to reading and do not prefer one genre over another. As long as a book is technically well-written and entertaining, I'm satisfied."

I think that's the best way for a reader to be. It means you can enjoy more books.

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 785 comments I would say my favorite genres are Horror, Poetry and Science Fiction. I enjoy writing science fiction more then I enjoy reading it cause I'm usually very selective about it.

message 15: by T.H. (new)

T.H. Hernandez (thhernandez) | 41 comments I like a lot of different genres, but my favorites are thrillers and young adult.

message 16: by Florence (new)

Florence Witkop | 6 comments My taste is eclectic but it takes so much time to plow through books to find one that truly looks good that I search by genre and that's usually sci/fi.

message 17: by Ramsey (new)

Ramsey Isler (ramsey_isler) Science Fiction and Fantasy for me, ever since I was a kid. They're the genres that most often ask, "What if?" and I find that fascinating and fun.

message 18: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 785 comments I enjoy Horror, Poetry and Westerns, coincidentally the three genres I written in. I also enjoy a good Crime/Mystery every once in a while.

message 19: by Russell (new)

Russell Brooks (russellbrooks) My favorite genre are thrillers.

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Chilvers (kevinchilversauthor) | 45 comments Hi I like fast-paced action, adventure and crime. Occasionally very good fantasy (ie: Lord of the Rings, The Black Magician Triology etc.)and even some children's books.
I don't go for sci-fi, horror or the latest vampire craze.

Kevin Chilvers

message 21: by hIpnoticraQs (new)

hIpnoticraQs (raqnbelly) I ♥ zombie apocalypse books, pnr

message 22: by Lan (new)

Lan LLP | 13 comments I'd say romance comedy, but I also enjoy fantasy and mystery.

message 23: by Marilynn (new)

Marilynn Larew (marilynn_l) | 10 comments Justin wrote: "I enjoy Horror, Poetry and Westerns, coincidentally the three genres I written in. I also enjoy a good Crime/Mystery every once in a while."

Justin, I think it's normal to prefer the genres you write in. I write thrillers and prefer to read them, but I can take a standard mystery, too. I'm currently reading books about WWI and it's aftermath.

message 24: by Dean (new)

Dean (deanfwilson) | 15 comments Fantasy, because it allows us to explore the impossible, to escape our reality, and to more fully immerse ourselves in real issues through a fantastic lens.

message 25: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 785 comments Marilynn wrote: "Justin wrote: "I enjoy Horror, Poetry and Westerns, coincidentally the three genres I written in. I also enjoy a good Crime/Mystery every once in a while."

Justin, I think it's normal to prefer th..."

Yeah I think your right. Naturally I like watching and reading Westerns and Horror so it's only fitting I enjoy writing them or vice versa. I feel the more interest and well written I am in the genre the more likely I am to connect with fellow authors of that genre and read their books.

message 26: by Nora (new)

Nora | 4 comments Just about anything except post modern self help.

message 27: by Karen (new)

Karen | 20 comments Post apocalyptic,dystopian & zombies are my current favorites.But my tastes have changed & evolved over the years.Who knows what might catch my fancy next.

message 28: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Varnell Lan wrote: "I'd say romance comedy, but I also enjoy fantasy and mystery."

You're the first person aside from myself that I've heard actually enjoys reading romantic comedies. I'm glad to see I'm not alone. What sort of romantic comedies do you like?

And sorry for the late response. I haven't been getting updates for this post for some reason.

message 29: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) I think I'm developing more and more of a penchant for historical fiction!

message 30: by Kim (new)

Kim Hampton I read a little bit of everything: romance, true crime, nonfiction, comedy, history, biographies....I'm all over the map.

message 31: by Aly (new)

Aly | 13 comments I really like Horror, YA, supernatural, and mysteries. But I will give almost anything I try. Who knows maybe I will find something else I like just as much.

message 32: by Marion (new)

Marion Hill (kammbia1) Fantasy and Science Fiction are my favorite genres and all the sub genres within those two. I'm a fan of Literary and Christian fiction as well.

message 33: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn | 1 comments Favorite Genres: Gothic Lit, Intelligent/Unusual/Dark Romance, and Good 'Ol Literary Fiction (i.e., if it's on Oprah's list, I'm probably reading it).

message 34: by S.N. (new)

S.N. Graves (sngraves) | 3 comments I read a little bit of everything! I think my favorites would be horror, romance, and anything paranormal.

message 35: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette (jeanettes) | 24 comments I read virtually anything, but my favourites has to be historical fiction and thrillers.

message 36: by Toni (new)

Toni | 92 comments I used to gravitate toward Paranormal. That was my thing. But now I've branched out to PNR, NA, YA, erotica, historical romance ( love me some highlanders, who knew?) darker romance, comedy romance. I'll read pretty much anything except for non-fiction. I'm steepedin reality. Don't want to read about it. I have a Nook and. Kindle and way too many books to read and yet I just keep adding more. There should be a book addicts anonymous group on here. I need help. And worse off, since I have so many books on both devices, I'm at a standstill. I dont't know which book to read next! There's so many good ones I can't decide. Any suggestions on how you figure out which book to start besides ennie meannie miny moe? Oh, and anyone have suggestions for highlander books? I've read Julie Harwoods highlander series and loved it. And Maya Banks highlander series and love that one too. Any suggestions?

message 37: by Toni (new)

Toni | 92 comments I meant Julie Garwood. Sorry i'm all thumbs today.