Classics Without All the Class discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ebster (new)

Ebster Davis | 9 comments This is a place to share your favorite quote or passage from this book.

message 2: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clark From chapter 30:
'Come, come, come! Let us go up-stairs, and do something, rather than waste time that may be so precious. Thinking has, many a time, made me sad, darling; but doing never did in all my life. My theory is a sort of parody on the maxim of "Get money, my son, honestly if you can; but get money." My precept is, "Do something, my sister, do good if you can; but, at any rate, do something."'
'Not excluding mischief,' said Margaret, smiling faintly through her tears.
'By no means. What I do exclude is the remorse afterwards. Blot your misdeeds out (if you are particularly conscientious), by a good deed, as soon as you can; just as we did a correct sum at school on the slate, where an incorrect one was only half rubbed out. It was better than wetting our sponge with our tears; both less loss of time where tears had to be waited for, and a better effect at last.'

message 3: by Ebster (new)

Ebster Davis | 9 comments "Have I any right to obtrude my views, of the manner in which he shall act, upon another, merely because he has labor to sell, and I capital to buy?"

Not in the least, said Margaret, determined just to say this one thing; "not in the least because of your labor and capital positions, whatever they are, but because you are a man, dealing with a set of men over whom you have, whether you reject the use of it or not, immense power; just because your lives and your welfare are so constantly interwoven. God has made us so that we must be mutually dependent."

message 4: by Laurie (last edited May 24, 2014 10:00AM) (new)

Laurie | 151 comments "Edith's life seemed like the deep vault of blue sky above her: free. Utterly free from fleck or cloud."

message 5: by Laurie (last edited May 24, 2014 09:59AM) (new)

Laurie | 151 comments "He shook hands with Margaret. He knew it was the first time their hands had met, though she was perfectly unconscious of the fact."

message 6: by Ebster (new)

Ebster Davis | 9 comments "It was astonishing, almost stunning, to feel herself so much at liberty; no one depending on her for cheering care, if not for positive happiness; no invalid to plan and think for; she might be idle, and silent, and forgetful,--and what seemed worth more then all the other privileges--she might be unhappy if she liked."

message 7: by Trishala (new)

Trishala (write2trishala) | 5 comments "Nobody has ever been and most certainly, never would be able to cut the wings of beliefs! Instead, they are nurtured for the needed flight that they give to our otherwise inert lives…"
- The Seller Of Beliefs
www.thesellerofbeliefs.in
https://www.facebook.com/TrishalaDShah