YAholics Anonymous! discussion

Archives > May's Book of the Month - Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 3369 comments Mod
Please join us this month in reading the You Pick, I Pick winner's choice, which is Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi!

Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi

Synopsis: WORLDS KEPT THEM APART.

DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER.

Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.

You don't have to participate in the Group Read - it's entirely up to you, but if you read the book along with us or have already read it, we would love to hear your comments, questions, thoughts, etc. That's what makes the Group Read fun! Please keep from posting too many spoilers early in the month, though, as people might still be reading it. If you feel that you might "spoil" a part of the book by commenting, be sure to put something like "***Spoiler Alert***" or something to let others know to read at their own risk! And make sure to have fun!

message 2: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cannefrye) | 226 comments Mod
Hey guys! Just thought I'd ask if anyone has started/already read this book. If you haven't, I suggest you give it a try. I loved it!

If you've read this book already, feel free to discuss. Let me know what you think of the world that Perry and Aria live in. Do you consider this book Dystopian? I think I've always thought of this series as more of a sci-fiesque adventure tale. But we can certainly discuss!

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Well, you know I've already read it. =P

I love the world-building in this book (as well as the subsequent novels), though it was a little difficult to follow at first. Aria's world had me asking a lot of questions - it took me a while to understand everything about the dome (or whatever they called it, lol) she lived in. And while I understood more about the Tides and life outside of the dome, I didn't really understand the whole Aether thing for a while.

Despite all that, I really loved the book. Perry's a total catch. Haha!

message 4: by Riya (new)

Riya | 753 comments Mod
I just got it from the library :D
I'm glad this is awesome- I'm excited!!

message 5: by Brittany (new)

You haven't read it!?! Get to it, girl! XD

message 6: by Riya (new)

Riya | 753 comments Mod
Haha I will!

message 7: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 62 comments I'm currently in the middle of this book! It's great :)
But can anyone explain Aether to me? I don't quite understand it...

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 47 comments love this book

message 9: by Brittany (new)

Connie wrote: "I'm currently in the middle of this book! It's great :)
But can anyone explain Aether to me? I don't quite understand it..."

I always thought of it as super-strong electrical thunderstorms... Dunno if that's exactly what other people thought, though, lol. Like I said, it was a little mysterious at first. You kinda understand it better the further you read in the series.

message 10: by low (new)

low (lows) | 142 comments Aether is Greek, I'm pretty sure :)

I actually hadn't realized you were doing this for the BOTM, and I'm currently reading it for the Bout of Books :D Halfway through!

message 11: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cannefrye) | 226 comments Mod
Brittany wrote: "Connie wrote: "I'm currently in the middle of this book! It's great :)
But can anyone explain Aether to me? I don't quite understand it..."

I always thought of it as super-strong electrical thunde..."

Yeah, that's more or less how I pictured it, too. Strong electrical storms, but more localized than widespread.

message 12: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 62 comments Finished UTNS yesterday! The plot was interesting, although Rossi's writing style isn't my favorite. Not sure if this makes sense, but when I read some books, I just cannot stop. For UTNS, I felt like a few parts dragged. Nevertheless, I just started Through the Ever Night! (:

message 13: by Brittany (new)

Yeah, I guess there's always those parts that feel slower than others. I hope you like Through the Ever Night. I remember it being pretty good. ^.^

message 14: by Heidi (last edited May 27, 2014 05:10PM) (new)

Heidi I liked the story, but I also had a bit of trouble following/picturing everything in the beginning. I could have used a bit more description, as that would have helped me get a better idea of what exactly was going on. I do plan on reading the sequel.

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Heidi wrote: "I liked the story, but I also had a bit of trouble following/picturing everything in the beginning. I could have used a bit more description, as that would have helped me get a better idea of what..."

I can understand how that might have happened - I felt similarly about Aria's world in the beginning. I think it was largely due to the reason that they threw her out so early in the book - so we hardly got time to understand where she lived.

I did think Rossi did a better job of explaining the workings of the Tides and Perry's world, though.

And I definitely like the sequels! I hope you enjoy them, too, Heidi! :)

message 16: by Connie (last edited May 28, 2014 09:01PM) (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 62 comments Yeah, the first few pages were filled with unfamiliar terms that I never quite got the gist of since Aria was thrown to the Outside early on. I agree with Brittany, Perry's world is easier to understand, and better explained.
Planning to start my copy Through the Ever Night from the library :D