Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Past nominations (closed) > June 2014 Contemporary Novel selection complete

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited May 08, 2014 07:31PM) (new)

Announcement chyron

This is the place to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our June group read and discussion (beginning June 21.) A contemporary novel would typically have been first published in the 21st century. It shouldn't require having read previous novels in a series, so anyone can participate.

You can review past nominees and winners in the Group's Bookshelf. (If you wish to continue a discussion of one of our past group selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.)

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to.

Note that these are nominations for our June discussion topic. Mira Grant's Parasite has already been selected as our May Contemporary Novel topic.

Nominations will be open through Sunday, May 11, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

Edit: strikeout codicil on books other than the first in a series. They may now be nominated.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Mika wrote: "I've had Ephraim's Curious Device on my Kindle for ages and would love a push to read it next."

Mika, that's listed as the 2nd book in a series. We don't usually do books in a series (other than the first) so members who haven't read the earlier book can participate. (Not that I wouldn't mind finding a way to do a series or two, but haven't figure that out yet.)

message 3: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 127 comments I'd like to nominate Dragon Fate. I read it a while ago and liked it.

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 429 comments I think we would probably need to be a slightly bigger group to do a series, unless it was something short such as Chronicles of Amber as given we are a fairly small discussion group it might be tough come book two if half the readership didnt enjoy the first book enough to go onto the second. It would be different with something as popular as the next GRR Martin or Rothfuss as then there would probably be enough readers for an interesting discussion.

I nominate Little Brother. It is one of my favorite books from recent years and whilst some people find it a touch preachy - I love the passion with which Cory Doctorow writes. Its a damned exciting and somewhat scary novel about issues such as security and privacy set in the near future. Cory makes all his stuff free to download digitally via his website and the book has been available in various book bundles over the recent years as well so many people will have or can quickly get a copy. I downloaded a copy from his website and then bought a digital copy because i enjoyed it so much and wanted the author to have something.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Ben wrote: "It would be different with something as popular as the next GRR Martin or Rothfuss as then there would probably be enough readers for an interesting discussion...."

Yeah, I was thinking more along those line, trying to include new books of popular series is our reading list — which means figuring out what's "popular" with our gang.

message 6: by Hillary (last edited May 08, 2014 02:19PM) (new)

Hillary Major | 436 comments Maybe the best way to figure out what's popular is just to start allowing nominations of non-first-in-a-series books and let the polls decide? If a mid-series book won and the discussion was considerably less than lively, we could return to the firsts-only status quo. (If mid-series books seemed to take off really well over several months but seemed to be excluding non-series readers, then we could have some months when mid-series were unallowed.)

Personally, I'm unlikely to vote for a mid-series book, but I don't mind them showing up in the voting mix.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

everyone knows the Foundation Trilogy...why not start with book four (Foundation's Edge) and work our way up?

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited May 08, 2014 07:24PM) (new)

Hillary wrote: "Maybe the best way to figure out what's popular is just to start allowing nominations of non-first-in-a-series books and let the polls decide? If a mid-series book won and the discussion was considerably less than lively, we could return to the firsts-only status quo...."

We can certainly give that a try. I'll put Mika's Ephraim's Curious Device back on the list for this month, and adjust the rules going forward.

The catch to mid-series selections is two-fold: a book deep in a series is less likely to attract other members who didn't vote for it because they haven't read the early books. Although Goodreads voting is strictly "pick one", my reading process - and I think a few others here - has a middle-ground that may not be my first choice but still sounds interesting enough to be worth trying. And on the other side, a book in a series might never draw enough votes to be selected because no majority has read the earlier novels..

But if a series is popular enough, maybe the latest would draw a few interested fans. We'll see.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement chyron

Thank you for the nominations. (Nominations are now closed.) The poll is now open for final selection for June's Contemporary Novel discussion.

Please Click Here to Vote for the Contemporary Novel you want to discuss in the group in June. (Beginning June 21.) Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of the book you're voting for.

Note that this selection is for our June discussion topic. Mira Grant's Parasite has already been selected as our May Contemporary Novel topic.

This poll will be open through Sunday, May 18.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

won't let me vote. :(

message 11: by Michele (new)

Michele | 274 comments Same - it says "Sign in to Vote" but I am signed in. Also the new vote for the classic novel.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited May 12, 2014 04:33AM) (new)

Michele wrote: "Same - it says "Sign in to Vote" but I am signed in. Also the new vote for the classic novel."

uhhhmm. The first (successful) vote seems to have been recorded a few minutes after you posted that message, Michele. (I didn't try to vote myself after I created the poll, but it works for me right now.)

May I request that you try voting again, and if it doesn't work this time, maybe try using a different browser, if possible (I think Spooky1947 is on a Kindle, which only has Silk.) If it's still not working, I'll pass the complaint on to Goodreads feedback and see if anyone has any ideas there.

If all else fails, you can post your preference here and I'll add it to the tally; I think I remember how to do addition without a computer... I think I still have addition tables in my CRC.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

not your fault. :)

message 14: by Michele (new)

Michele | 274 comments The app on my android tablet still won't let me vote but I voted just fine through the website on whatever generic web browser is on my tablet, weird.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Michele wrote: "The app on my android tablet still won't let me vote but I voted just fine through the website on whatever generic web browser is on my tablet, weird."

Ah, turns out I can't vote from my Kindle Fire using the Goodreads App, either, but like you could vote using the Kindle's browser (which is Amazon's "Silk" thingie.)

Does anyone know if voting thru the Goodreads App ever worked? I never tried to use the App or Silk for voting before.

message 16: by Michele (new)

Michele | 274 comments I have voted on other polls thru the app, so I dunno, maybe they changed something.

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited May 18, 2014 04:02AM) (new)

A reminder to those interested in participating in our June Contemporary Novel discussion, Saturday Sunday is the final day to vote in the poll.

message 18: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette Westlake | 3 comments G33z3r wrote: "A reminder to those interested in participating in our June Contemporary Novel discussion, Saturday is the final day to vote in the poll."

I got in under the wire! The poll says it closes the 19th, though

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited May 18, 2014 04:06AM) (new)

Jeannette wrote: "I got in under the wire! The poll says it closes the 19th, though ..."

Sorry, my bad. I meant Sunday is the final day of voting. (It was supposed to be a 24-hours-left reminder. Now there are 19 hours left.)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Our selection for June Contemporary SF/F Novel discussion is:

Little Brother (Little Brother, #1) by Cory Doctorow Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

The discussion will start June 21; thanks for participating.