The Grishaverse discussion

504 views
General Book Love > Alina's Love Interests

Comments Showing 1-50 of 225 (225 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, seeing as this has been plaguing the topic "The Darkling"-- and I would imagine other ones to (though I cannot be sure)-- I decided to add this topic. Here we can discuss which guy is best for Alina and just compare the three in general. I hope this is an acceptable new topic.


message 2: by Maddi (new)

Maddi Britch | 57 comments Davlina.

(Alina x David)



....... FOREVER <3


message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Maddi wrote: "Davlina.

(Alina x David)



....... FOREVER <3"


What the fuck


message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Oi, language!

You'd be the first person I've heard of who ships that.


message 5: by Maddi (new)

Maddi Britch | 57 comments Elvina wrote: "Oi, language!

You'd be the first person I've heard of who ships that."


I was joking...

description


message 6: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (natalia_g) | 574 comments Oh, this gotta be fun! Team Darkling, forever and always ;)


message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay.


message 8: by Carina (new)

Carina Olsen (carinabooks) | 671 comments I will forever ship Mal and Alina. <3 Think they fit together the most :) And, seriously. That new snippet? Dies.


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Which one? The "surprise" one?


message 10: by Melanie-Claire (new)

Melanie-Claire | 126 comments *** If Davlina's here, Nikolina's gotta crash the party too :P


message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

It's one of the main three, so I figured it would.


message 12: by Lena (new)

Lena Baioni | 9 comments Nikolai!!!!


message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited May 04, 2014 02:26PM) (new)

He's my second choice. . . .Over Mal and under the Darkling. That's just me though.


message 14: by WinterRose (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments Obviously I'm rooting for Darklina/Alina. :)

"I have seen what you truly are and I've never turned away. I never will." (That's all)


message 15: by Melanie-Claire (new)

Melanie-Claire | 126 comments yeah yeah yeah!!! or maybe tied with the darkling, i can't decide :P it's funny the first time i read siege and storm i was like "who is this random shmo pirate-prince and please NO not another guy for Alina please NO love rectangle" but then i read it the second time and completely fell in love with him, and I realized he could really give Alina a fulfilling and rewarding future as King and Queen. And besides that, they have a great relationship I think can be further developed a lot more.


message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually, I think it's a love quadrilateral! Trapezium for the win! lol. He's probably my favorite character following Tamar who follows the Darkling who follows no one.


message 17: by Diana (new)

Diana | 9 comments I love the Darkling. I would like it if Alina & the Darkling were a couple.

My second pick would be Nikolai.

If she ends up with Mal, I'll chuck my copy of the book, then burn it. ;)


message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Mine would fly across the room too. And get yelled at. And then find itself back in the air. And then there would be more Grisha Trilogy Fanfiction.


message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Jordan | 103 comments Nikolai. The darkling. It's really an either or situation for me.


message 20: by Natalia (last edited May 04, 2014 09:01PM) (new)

Natalia (natalia_g) | 574 comments @ Diana and Elvina: I wanted to do some serious book throwing at the end of Siege and Storm, but I have an e-reader, so not an option for me ;) Seriously, sometimes Alina is such a moron!


Meida Morgenstern Lantsova | 221 comments haha why do you think she's such a moron, Natalia?


message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 7 comments I honestly don't think Alina has any real feelings for Nicolai, I think she just likes him as a really close friend. And who knows what Nicolai ever thinks. I don't want her to end up with Mal either. I just don't feel like they are meant to be together, but I'm probably biased because I love the Darkling.


message 23: by Natalia (last edited May 05, 2014 01:57PM) (new)

Natalia (natalia_g) | 574 comments Meida wrote: "haha why do you think she's such a moron, Natalia?"

Because she ran away from the Little Palace in S&B after only a couple of words from Baghra without even thinking if Baghra could be trusted. Basically, she wanted to have sex with the Darkling and then runs off without ever questioning anything about his persona. A benefit of the doubt would be nice. I understand that the Darkling got pissed at her.

Because she decided to lead the Grisha army in S&S and thus was indirectly responsible for so many people getting killed. She knew the Darkling wanted only her, so why did she put everyone at risk and coaxed to fight just so he wouldn't capture her is beyond me. Stop acting like a moron and hear the guy out, Alina!

For clinging to Mal thus endangering his life too, because surely the Darkling targeted Mal just to spite Alina and get rid of competition. So if she really wanted to keep Mal safe, she should have pretended she didn't care all that much. But no, like the Darkling had said, Alina and Mal had a bad habit of acting like fools and calling it heroic.


message 24: by Maddi (new)

Maddi Britch | 57 comments I have to agree. Alina annoyed me a lot, particularly in her decision making.


message 25: by WinterRose (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments Good points Natalia. I always felt like one of Alina's flaws is her quickness to jump to conclusion's and believe she's right without getting the whole story.

It would have made the most sense to go to him after Baghra's declaration. Also would have made more sense to go with the Darkling in S&S, hear him out, and if she disagreed well, kill him in his sleep. :P Why couldn't she have thought to build his trust then kill him when he's vulnerable?


message 26: by Natalia (last edited May 05, 2014 02:21PM) (new)

Natalia (natalia_g) | 574 comments Exactly! Alina is a poor general and strategist, letting her forces (and friends!!!) get killed when it could be easily avoided! I still don't get what she was fighting for. I feel like she didn't quite know it either.


message 27: by WinterRose (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments Selfishness is what killed those Grisha on the fold. She did it to save Mal and herself. (I'm not saying it makes her a bad person as it IS okay to be selfish sometimes, but it is what it is.)


message 28: by Cari (new)

Cari | 644 comments "Great minds think alike" is what killed those people on the Fold. They both did it because they "had to."

Alina has many faults but I don't hold it against her to take Bahgra's advice.
Heck, he should listen to his mother too.

You know I love Erik, but sometimes mother knows best.


message 29: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (natalia_g) | 574 comments She and the Darkling are very much alike in that respect:

He wants to capture Alina and will kill people to get what he wants, and Alina doesn't want to be captured, so she would let other people be killed to escape the Darkling. Oh, the irony!


message 30: by Natalia (last edited May 05, 2014 02:37PM) (new)

Natalia (natalia_g) | 574 comments Cari wrote: "Alina has many faults but I don't hold it against her to take Bahgra's advice."

This has to be the first time we disagree ))) Why do you think she should have run without having his side of the story?


message 31: by WinterRose (last edited May 05, 2014 02:59PM) (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments Lol Cari, is the Darkling going to be called Erik until proven otherwise? :P

This gives me strong Magneto vibes.


message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, dear


message 33: by WinterRose (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments Natalia wrote: "Cari wrote: "Alina has many faults but I don't hold it against her to take Bahgra's advice."

This has to be the first time we disagree ))) Why do you think she should have run without having his s..."


I do think we have to consider this too: if the Darkling can be convincing because of his age, so can Baghra. Does she probably love her son? Yes. But she could fake any emotion just as he does. He learned it from somewhere, and with age. Baghra is OLDER and we know she trained him.

Trust nobody. :P


message 34: by Cari (new)

Cari | 644 comments Natalia wrote: "Cari wrote: "Alina has many faults but I don't hold it against her to take Bahgra's advice."

This has to be the first time we disagree ))) Why do you think she should have run without having his s..."


Consider this, yes, it was rude to run but she was going with her instinct. At that point in the story she was so weak: how could she have believe anything he said? Her gut told her to run and she did.

The thing is that before this book is over she NEEDS to stop running. I want her to physically march to that Throne Room or wherever Erik is hanging out these days and tell him: "I'm not leaving until you explain EVERYTHING to me. If you don't know where to start, there's always the beginning. If any idiot comes in that door, they'll be halved. I ran before but now I am here and I'm all ears. Explain yourself."


message 35: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (natalia_g) | 574 comments No, please, not Erik!!! No name calling until we learn the REAL one, because most of those names just don't fit the guy. IMHO, of course, but he is so not Erik.


message 36: by Cari (new)

Cari | 644 comments WinterRose wrote: "Lol Cari, is the Darkling going to be called Erik until proven otherwise? :P

This gives me strong Magneto vibes."



Oh God, you just punched me in the gut. There was someone with that name in my life (not Erik but the M-word... yes, my life can be weird.) He's the reason, I think, I started reading this book.

The Darkling must be renamed then. Or let's just think of him as Erik in a very unrelated to any mutants.

Erik Aleksandr.


message 37: by Cari (new)

Cari | 644 comments Natalia wrote: "No, please, not Erik!!! No name calling until we learn the REAL one, because most of those names just don't fit the guy. IMHO, of course, but he is so not Erik."

How about Aleksandr?

Well, if we don't start calling him something soon, his name will not stick. We will never be able to call him anything other than the Darkling.


message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Great. Where is the link to the discussion questions? Please tell me!


message 39: by WinterRose (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments Realistically, there wouldn't be a story if Alina hadn't ran. It does make more sense to me for her to go and question him, but the story needed her to run.

"I'm not leaving until you explain EVERYTHING to me. If you don't know where to start, there's always the beginning. If any idiot comes in that door, they'll be halved. I ran before but now I am here and I'm all ears. Explain yourself."

Yes this needs to happen. A simple CONVERSATION and Alina being open minded would do wonders. She has to realize the way the king did things was horrible and the Darkling might have some good points. They need to communicate and compromise. Maybe she'll realize he isn't the person she should be fighting.


message 40: by Cari (new)

Cari | 644 comments WinterRose wrote: "Realistically, there wouldn't be a story if Alina hadn't ran. It does make more sense to me for her to go and question him, but the story needed her to run.

"I'm not leaving until you explain EVER..."



True about it being a plot device but also I feel that it is true in real life. You learn something potentially life threatening about someone you have no power to stop. Would you confront them? What if they say it's true, what to do then? What if they lie just to humor you?
I feel that when you're in no position to fight back, your options are limited.

But YES to talking. Because now they're equals. She should not be afraid anymore. Perhaps she'll agree with him as you say. Perhaps she even has suggestions and can contribute to solving whatever there is to be solved.


message 41: by Maryanne (new)

Maryanne | 243 comments I LOVE BOTH OF THEM.
BUT, I want the Darkling to be with Alina instead of Nikolai. :D


message 42: by aqsa (villain stan) (last edited May 05, 2014 03:39PM) (new)

aqsa (villain stan) ..the Darkling to be with Alina instead of Nickolai.

Oh, what fun that ship would be. ;)


message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

So I wasn't the only one raising an eyebrow at the phrasing.


message 44: by Cari (new)

Cari | 644 comments I saw a ship like that on twitter (#ruinandrising). I forget what it was though.


message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw a Mal/Darkling fanfic somewhere. Was that maybe what you're referring to?


message 46: by Cari (new)

Cari | 644 comments I imagine there must be a ton of those, with 3 main guys in this series. Actually, part of the fandom was really into the Darkling and Ivan, right?

But what I vaguely remember were some funny tweets from the unlocking frenzy.


message 47: by WinterRose (last edited May 05, 2014 03:51PM) (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments
But YES to talking. Because now they're equals. She should not be afraid anymore


This could actually be a huge factor in why she ran. She was afraid then, and honestly I don't know if she was ready to hear what he would say. She's still young and inexperienced--I've said it before that 200 years from now I feel like that Alina would agree way more with the Darkling.

Now, she might even be more open minded.

(I need to see them bicker and argue over plans for Ravka and the Darkling stare at her incredulously because she's so stubborn but he can't help but love it about her and I'm going to stop now.)


message 48: by Cari (last edited May 05, 2014 04:01PM) (new)

Cari | 644 comments I like that :)
Well, it seems chapter 1 will preview for Kindle on May 20.
I still think Little Knife should have been released early too. To give us more material to discuss.

Also, shouldn't the topics for S&S re-read be up by now?
I lost the email with all the dates for the re-reads and QnA. But I think it should have started today.
S&S re-read starts May 19th.


message 49: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 7 comments Elvina wrote: "Great. Where is the link to the discussion questions? Please tell me!"

Discussion questions? Are you being serious?


message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, the ones for R&R. They came up in the Darkling discussion, but I can't find them!


« previous 1 3 4 5
back to top