Children's Books discussion

The Picture-Book Club > The Picture-Book Club and Listopia

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Fjóla (last edited Mar 08, 2015 06:04PM) (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments As a way of organizing the lists that have sprung out of discussion in this group, here is a list of previous Picture Book Club Themed Discussions, ordered by the dates the discussion took place, and attached are links to corresponding Listopias, whether compiled from the group discussions or existing lists that matched the club themes. Note that lists are public and any Goodreads member can add books to them and vote for the ones they like. We encourage you to add titles of books that fit the theme of the list and which you know will be of interest to your fellow Picture Book Club members.

March - Dr. Seuss:
     Dr. Seuss
February - Dance:
     Picture Books About Dance (created from group master list)
     Picture Books for Young Ballerinas (more "ballerina" specific books)
January - Caldecott 1958-62

December - Snowmen:
     Picture Books About Snowmen (created from group master list)
November - Dual/Multi Language Stories
October - Caldecott 1953-57
September - Horses:
     Picture Books About Horses
August - Counting:
     Counting Books (created from group master list)
July - Caldecott 1943-47
June - On Hiatus
May - Gardening:
     Picture Books About Gardens
April - Caldecott 1938-42
March - Ireland:
     Picture Books About Ireland
February - Kindness:
      Picture Books About Kindness (created from group master list)
January - Caldecott 1933-37

December - Snow Animals:
      Picture Books About Snow Animals (created from group master list)
November - Cars and Trucks:
     Picture Books About Construction Vehicles
     Preschool Things that Go (okay, hope to replace it with the group suggestions soon)
October - Alphabet Books:
     Fun and interesting ABC/Abecedarian books
September - Bedtime stories:
     Picture Books About Bed Time
August - Summer Outdoor Activites:
     Picture Books About Summer Outdoor Activites (created from group master list)
July - Cats and Dogs:
     Picture Books about Cats
     Picture Books about Dogs
June - Poetry:
     Best children's poetry books (this list is not restricted to picture books)
May - On Hiatus
April - On Hiatus
March - 21st Century Picture Book Characters:
     21st Century Picture Book Characters (created from group master list)
February - Fractured/Alternative Mother Goose:
     Fractured Fairy Tales for Children (not just nursery rhymes but also fairy tales, fables, etc.)
     Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme Adaptations (unfortunately dominated by spam right now)
     Cumulative Rhyme Picture Books Based On There Was an Old Lady
January - Artists:
     Children Books About Art ("art" is pretty loosely defined here)
     Picture Books About Museums (originally focused on museums, but also generally about artists)

December - Warm Quilts and Soft Mittens:
     Picture Books About Warm Quilts and Soft Mittens (created from group master list)
November - Classic Picture Book Characters:
     Classic Picture Book Characters (created from group master list)
October - Harvest Time and Pumpkins:
     Harvest Time (created from group master list)
     Picture Books About Pumpkins
September - Ecosystems:
     Picture Books About Ecosystems (created from group master list)
August - Traveling:
     Picture Books About Traveling (created from group master list)
July - On Hiatus
June - Fathers:
     Picture Books About Fathers
     Best Dad Theme Picture Book (may also be of use)
     Children's Books with Positive Father Figures (similar spirit but not confined to picture books)
May - Mothers:
     Picture Books About Mothers (created from group master list)
April - Mystical/Magical Creatures:
     Picture Books About Mystical/Magical Creatures (created from group master list)
     Picture Books About Dragons
     (we had so many book suggestions for the theme of mystical/magical creatures that I ended up placing all dragon books into a separate list)
March - Library:
     Picture Books about the Library
February - Friendship:
     Picture Books About Friendship (created from group master list)
January - Children on Adventures/Exploring:
     Picture Books About Children on Adventures/Exploring (created from group master list)

message 2: by Fjóla (last edited Mar 08, 2015 06:09PM) (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments [Summary continued ...]

December - Toys:
     Picture Books About Toys (created from group master list)
November - Inventors:
     Picture Books About Inventors (created from group master list)
     Picture Books About Biographies of Scientists (a similar theme)
     Marvelous Machines and Imaginative Inventions (could be of interest as well)
October - Witches and Monsters:
     Witchy Picture Books
     Picture Books with Monsters
September - Grandparents:
     Picture Books About Grandparents (created from group master list)
August - Maps & Geography:
     Picture Books About Maps & Geography (created from group master list)
     Picture Books Featuring Maps/Diagrams/Blueprints
     (another list more focused on the drawing/visual aspect of maps)
July - Seaside/Beaches:
     Picture Books About Seaside/Beaches (created from group master list)
June - Physical Challenges:
     Picture Books About Physical Challenges (created from group master list)
May - Spring Time:
     Picture Books About Spring (created from group master list)
April - Royalty:
     Picture Books About Royalty (created from group master list)
March - Music:
     Picture Books About the Art of Music
February - Black History:
     Picture Books for Black History Month (created from group master list)
January - Wordless:
     Wordless Picture Books
     Silent Wordless Graphic Novels (might also be of interest)

December - Winter:
     Winter Children's Books
     Snow Day Books
November - Outer Space:
     Children's Picture Books Space Travel
     Best Space Books For Kids
October - Autumn/Halloween: (seen as two separate themes)
     Picture Books about Fall
     Best Halloween Picture Books
September - Back to School:
     Picture Books for Back to School
     Picture Books About Kindergarten (for more of a "first day of school" theme)
August - North American Folktales:
     Picture Books on North American Folktales (created from group master list)
July - Dinosaurs:
     Dinosaur Picture Books
June - Culinary Delights:
     Picture Books On Culinary Delights (created from group master list)
     Let’s Eat Veggies
     Children’s Cooking but not cookbooks
     Picture Books About Cakes
     Young Children and Food
May - Latino:
     Latino Picture Books (created from group master list)
     Children’s Books with Hispanic Characters (not specifically picture books)
     Timeless Latinos Children’s Books (not just picture books, but could be of interest)
April - Environmental and Nature:
     Green Picture Books (existing list, although not sure if the focus is the same)
     Picture Books About Trees (a different theme, but may be of interest)
March - Outstanding Women:
     Picture Books About Outstanding Women (created from group master list)
     Children’s Books about Real Women

message 3: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5946 comments Mod
Thank you so much for getting this started! I think it will be a great asset to our members :-)

message 4: by Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish, Newbery Club host (last edited Feb 28, 2015 01:25PM) (new)

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6446 comments Mod
Thank you - off to vote for the best now!

Btw, anyone who is new to Listopia might want to be aware of one odd function of the lists. They are edition-specific. What that means is that if you are on the book page for a particular title, and you're looking at the listopias that have that book on them, you might not be seeing them all.

For example, you might be looking at the book page for, say, The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright , and not see the information that The Saturdays (The Melendy Family, #1) by Elizabeth Enright is on a certain list.

(It's set up that way so that lists can be specific to language, or cover art, or format, whatever is specific there.)

message 5: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments Ireland was the theme of the Picture Book Club for March 2014. An excellent list on Children's Books About Ireland was in place already before our Club Read, containing a great many of the books our members suggested. While it includes mostly picture books, it is not formally limited to that genre, but I think it can be of great use for an Ireland theme even without this restriction. So, unless you strongly think we should have a "picture books only" list you can go ahead and vote for your favorite Ireland books here: Picture Books About Ireland.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6446 comments Mod
Marvelous! I'm getting more books for my TBR list!

message 7: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments Cars and Trucks were the theme of the Picture Book Club in November 2013 (this included Construction Equipment as well). I suggest that you go to either Preschool Things that Go or Picture Books About Construction Vehicles if you want to vote for your favorite Cars and Trucks books.

Alphabet Books were the theme in October 2013. There exists a well established list where you can vote for your favorite alphabet books: Fun and interesting ABC/Abecedarian books. Note that the list is two pages long already.

Bedtime Stories were the theme of the Picture Book Club in September 2013. If you want to vote for your favorite bedtime books you can go to Picture Books About Bed Time. I started this list after reading some hilarious books about the action of going to bed, and I may have had something a little more narrow in mind when I did, but it seems to me that most of the books on the groups master list would fit.

In August 2013 the theme was Summer Outdoor Activities (such as camping, hiking, boating, swimming). I haven't discovered any lists around these topics, so I'm going to make a place holder list for it until I find the time to seed it with the master list. In the meantime you can still go add the books you see fit: Picture Books About Summer Outdoor Activites.

The theme for July 2013 was Cats and Dogs. I suggest you check out Picture Books about Cats and Picture Books about Dogs if you want to vote for your favorite books.

message 8: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments Poetry was the theme in June 2013. There's a big list of children's poetry books here: Best children's poetry books, but it's not restricted to picture books. I haven't studied how much this list overlaps with the books suggested and discussed in the Picture Book Club.

March 2013 was focused on 21st Century Picture Book Characters. I'll hold off from seeding such a list for the moment, but here's a place holder for a list, if you want to get started: 21st Century Picture Book Characters.

The theme of February 2013 was Fractured/Alternative Mother Goose. Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme Adaptations may fit the bill as a list in that spirit. And for something similar, at one point I started the lists Fractured Fairy Tales for Children (which is a bit more open ended) and Cumulative Rhyme Picture Books Based On There Was an Old Lady.

The theme of January was Artists. I'm aware of two lists around similar themes: Picture Books About Museums (which I myself started), and Children Books About Art where the theme is a bit more loosely defined.

message 9: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments I think this should keep us busy for a while, so I'll refrain from digging deeper into the archives for the moment. ;-)

message 10: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 252 comments Fjóla wrote: "I think this should keep us busy for a while, so I'll refrain from digging deeper into the archives for the moment. ;-)"

Fjóla,
Thanks for doing this - I love it. Off to vote!

message 11: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Wonderful!!! Many thanks :-)

So, to clarify, it'd be great if we could *add* books (from our various monthly master lists especially) to some of these lists, esp. the ones that already existed, right?

And of course we could/should vote for our favorite books that are already listed....

I'll have to see if I can make time soon to do make the poetry one even better.

And thank you so much for using existing lists rather than creating duplicates. Listopia is messy w/ dupes in other categories/ themes - I'm glad you're helping it be a truly effective resource for members of this group and for the wide world of readers, parents, and librarians.

message 13: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 7687 comments Mod
One small question about adding books. Is it acceptable to add topical books in languages other than English? I think it should be, but I would rather ask before adding any such books.

message 14: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "So, to clarify, it'd be great if we could *add* books (from our various monthly master lists especially) to some of these lists, esp. the ones that already existed, right?

And of course we could/s..."

Maybe I could have been more clear about that:
. For all the lists I created out of this groups disscussion topics, I used the master list for seeding.
. A couple of lists were lists I had already created at some point before I went through the groups archives. I then added books from master list, and if I didn't do it yet I'll get to it later.
. For the topics where lists exist already, I tried to pick a list that had the same specifics. I then voted for my favorites, and if I was extra inspired went ahead and added books from our master lists to some of those, but some will have to wait a while for me to get to them.

The adding of books ("seeding") takes a bit of an effort, especially if there are many books to add. For some themes I managed to bring a lot of the relevant books up using Goodreads search features with a couple of keywords. This makes adding the books a lot less laborious.

I'll try to keep the links and pointers in this thread up to date, so it can serve as a reference tool.

message 15: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments Gundula wrote: "One small question about adding books. Is it acceptable to add topical books in languages other than English? I think it should be, but I would rather ask before adding any such books."

Absolutely, I don't see any problem with that, unless the list specifics require the books to be in the English language. Me too, I sometimes am aware of books that may not exist in English but which could be very useful for users with access to alternative languages.

message 16: by Manybooks (new)

Fjóla wrote: "Gundula wrote: "One small question about adding books. Is it acceptable to add topical books in languages other than English? I think it should be, but I would rather ask before adding any such b..."

Thanks for letting me know.

message 17: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments Thanks everyone for taking the time to check out and/or participate in creating the reference lists above. Some of them have gotten some good buildup already, such as the ones relating to our recent club reads: Gardening, Ireland, Kindness, Snow Animals. I was planning to add a few more lists in June. I wanted to bring your attention however to the kind of sabotage we’ll be up against. Here’s one of the lists I created: Fractured Fairy Tales for Children. The list has now been visited by one of the author groups practicing what they call “mutual promotion”, and the list thus sports at the top a book in which only a handful of fellow authors have shown interest. This ranking is unlikely to change, even if we got dozens of readers to participate. You may ask “where’s the harm?” but since I myself was the creator of the list, I now feel as if I’m endorsing a “recommendation” which is deceitful at best. An even sadder example I noticed: Over twenty people had put together this impressive list of books on astronauts but the list now has zero credibility with a “Jellybean the Dragon” at the top. I find it so depressing when I see this I’m almost inclined to delete the lists I made …

message 18: by Manybooks (last edited May 29, 2014 03:09PM) (new)

Fjóla wrote: "Thanks everyone for taking the time to check out and/or participate in creating the reference lists above. Some of them have gotten some good buildup already, such as the ones relating to our recen..."

I think you should definitely consider deleting the lists you have made (perhaps sad, but what else can you really do). And unless GR staff finds a way to both moderate and prevent this type of author behaviour, what use is listopia?

I wonder if instead of the listopia lists, we should reconsider making our own master lists in a specific folder dedicated to the various themes we have covered in the picture book club since it began. It might make a bit of work in the beginning, but there would be less of a chance of authors (and others) behaving badly and inappropriate list additions could also simply be deleted (and if need be repeatedly deleted) by the moderators.

message 19: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (last edited May 29, 2014 10:09PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2477 comments Mod
Fjóla wrote: "Thanks everyone for taking the time to check out and/or participate in creating the reference lists above. Some of them have gotten some good buildup already, such as the ones relating to our recen..."

Can you not delete the hideous Elias Zapple book from your list? In my opinion, after looking at the description, is does not fit the theme of the list. It seems to be doggerel rhymes about several stories, not of a single fairy tale.

message 20: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 252 comments Fjóla wrote: "Thanks everyone for taking the time to check out and/or participate in creating the reference lists above. Some of them have gotten some good buildup already, such as the ones relating to our recen..."

Perhaps the best way to counter the 'mutual promotion' would be to enlist the members of this forum to vote for their favorites. If we all voted, then the random books would be more reasonably represented in the list... I noticed that many of the lists' top books only have a couple-three votes each, so a concerted effort by the folks in this club would be helpful.

Specific books can indeed be deleted if they do not fit the theme. We can also vote more enthusiastically, as Dolly suggests - I've only been holding back because I'm not super-comfortable voting for books I've not read, but I can get over that.

Master lists already exist, do they not? Further consolidation is a project for a volunteer. Bookshelves could also be used, if someone volunteers. (For either project, plz PM a mod. first just to make sure.)

Listopia is a more public resource, and thus has advantages. I know that this group is public, but in the interests of reaching out to the wider community, listopia can be a good thing. Be a shame if we can't make it work better.

I deleted Jellybean the Dragon from the astronaut list.

message 23: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments Dolly wrote: "Perhaps the best way to counter the 'mutual promotion' would be to enlist the members of this forum to vote for their favorites. If we all voted, ..."

I like that idea, but since the members vote by personal preference their votes will be spread among so many titles, and it will take hundreds of votes to counter a well organized ‘mutual promotion’ campaign.

I think GR staff is in a pickle about this issue, and they will certainly not interfere. I suspect that unofficially they “sell” this as a marketing feature in their author package, but they can’t be forward about it or officially condone this behavior because fake reviews on a consumer review site such as GR are actually illegal. In fact, not only are paid or incentivized reviews fraud, but ratings, likes, votes or anything intended to game the system is as well. And yet, authors are not even all that secretive about their shenanigans, I’ve stumbled upon discussion threads where the authors are instructed to go vote for a specific book on lists some of which I created. I could post links to those threads, but since some of the authors posting to this group are implicated I’ll refrain from it. Just to be clear however, I think it’s only a small number of authors that are doing this. It doesn’t make it any less grating though …

message 24: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments Beverly wrote: "Can you not delete the hideous Elias Zapple book from your list? In my opinion, after looking at the description, is does not fit the theme of the list. It seems to be doggerel rhymes ..."

Well, you said it! Almost all the children’s books involved in the Listopia spamming seem to share a few characteristics: They’re illustrated by a non professional, usually the author himself or his family, and typically drawn using either colored pencils or an iPad (or both) but without even basic understanding of CG illustration, graphic design or color schemes. Sometimes they draw on photos (which might be stolen, for all I know) The prose is more often than not written in clunky verse and very frequently dubbed as “educational” on some level. It’s usually enough to see the book cover to know that it’s done by an amateur, but by golly, some of these titles are so hideous they hurt my eyes …

message 25: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Jun 10, 2014 06:50AM) (new)

Fjóla wrote: "Well, you said it! Almost all the children’s books involved in the Listopia spamming seem to share a few characteristics: "

I agree. And I think many of the readers coming to the Listopias will recognize this.

Another thought, whenever I am interested in a book the first place I check is my library database. If they don't have the book I am much more likely to do more extensive investigation of reviews, etc. before I would pay money to purchase one. I highly doubt most of these "spam" titles would be on library shelves and that's another way Listopia readers can separate the wheat from the chaff.

I guess I'm hoping you will leave the lists up and just delete any truly obvious spamming. I think the benefits to readers outweigh the slight annoyances of having to deal with the occassional spammer. That said, since you created the Listopias, you are certainly free to delete them if that is what you feel most comfortable with. We still have the Master Lists here. (And I'm hoping to do some work with the links on that soon.)

message 26: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

Fjóla wrote: "Snow Animals were the theme of the Picture Book Club for December 2013. If you want to vote for your favorite books with snow animals go to Picture Books About Snow Animals."

Just one question about this list: Owen and Mzee: The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship are snow animals? I wouldn't think so: a Galpagos tortoise and a hippopotamus.

message 27: by Manybooks (new)

Beverly wrote: "Fjóla wrote: "Snow Animals were the theme of the Picture Book Club for December 2013. If you want to vote for your favorite books with snow animals go to Picture Books About Snow Animals."

Just on..."

If the list is about snow animals, the book certainly does not fit, if the list is about animal friendships, it would.

message 28: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

Maybe someone should create an animal friendships list.

message 29: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments Good point! I was wondering how that book ended up on the list, but as it happens it's mentioned in the master list thread and thus ends up on the master list I used. Visibly it's a well liked book, so maybe it should have its own list. I'll remove it from this one however ...

message 30: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

I didn't mean to imply it was not a good book; it is an excellent book, with wonderful photos! It just isn't about snow animals.

message 31: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments Beverly wrote: "I didn't mean to imply it was not a good book; it is an excellent book, with wonderful photos! It just isn't about snow animals."

Exactly! That was my bad ...

message 32: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments I added a few more lists. I'm now working from the other end of the picture book club discussion threads, because a couple of topics really sparked my interest. So, I've added a list of:

. Picture Books About Outstanding Women
(The list is based on the group list, to which I added a few more titles I was aware of)

. Picture Books On Culinary Delights

. Picture Books On North American Folktales

For the theme of Harvest Time and Pumpkins, I created the list Harvest Time but left the existing list of Picture Books About Pumpkins unchanged (because that's a big list already).

message 33: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments For December 2012, for which the theme was Warm Quilts and Soft Mittens, I've created the list Picture Books About Warm Quilts and Soft Mittens.

Finally, the theme of November 2012 was Classic Picture Book Characters and I've created the corresponding list of Classic Picture Book Characters.

message 34: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

This is wonderful! Thank you again for transferring our Master Lists into the Listopias :-)

Did some liking, and voting, and added some to my shelves!

message 36: by Fjóla (last edited Aug 23, 2014 04:36PM) (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments I've now added many more lists and hunted down existing lists that match our previous book club themes (when possible).

I'm putting the summary at the top of this topic, for easy reference:

Summary of previous Picture Book Club discussions and corresponding lists

If you can, please check out these lists and vote for the books you want to endorse. I'll post links to specific lists later if any of them seem to be in extra need of member feedback or attention ...

message 37: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Fabulous!!! Thank you so much!

I did contribute a bit to most of those - but even more so, I added a bunch of books to my to-read lists! Thank you!

message 39: by June (new)

June (june_krell) | 121 comments Thanks, so much for putting all these together! They are a wonderful resource.

message 40: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments I updated the links at the top of the page. Mostly all the picture book club discussions now have a corresponding listopia or two ...

message 41: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Fjóla wrote: "I updated the links at the top of the page. Mostly all the picture book club discussions now have a corresponding listopia or two ..."

Thanks so much!

message 42: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments Thank you so much Kathryn for making this thread sticky! I now have lists of lists in a spreadsheet, so I will be adding links to many more lists soon, to use as resource. In the meantime, here are a couple of lists that might be of interest at this time:

. Easter Books (this list mostly consists of picture books even if it's not even restricted to children's literature, might be of interest during the holidays).

. Picture Books About Spring.

Please add more books if you can think of appropriate titles.

message 43: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thank you so much for all your work with the Listopias! That's wonderful.

I added several to 'Spring,' thank you for setting these up and collating them here.

message 45: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments As Father's Day is coming up, you may want to look up some corresponding titles or add any you are familiar with to this list of Picture Books About Fathers.

There is also in place a discussion thread in this group on Father's Day books.

There are more than I expected on that list; terrific. I voted for a couple that I know and love, but can't recall any to add.

message 47: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Cheryl wrote: "There are more than I expected on that list; terrific. I voted for a couple that I know and love, but can't recall any to add."

Thanks, as ever! :-)

message 48: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Ferrante (bonnieferrante) Fjóla wrote: "[Summary continued ...]

December - Toys:
     Picture Books About Toys (created from group master list)
November - Inventors:
     Picture Books About Inventors (created from group master l..."

I have added my book, The Amida Tree, to the list of books about trees. Please take a look a the full preview copy on line to see if you feel it is worth voting for. http://my.tbaytel.net/bonnieheather/P...The Amida Tree

message 49: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Ferrante (bonnieferrante) Fjóla wrote: "I added a few more lists. I'm now working from the other end of the picture book club discussion threads, because a couple of topics really sparked my interest. So, I've added a list of:

. Picture..."

I love the list about outstanding women. Great for shopping for my granddaughters. Thank you.

message 50: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments Bonnie wrote: "
I have added my book, The Amida Tree, to the list of books about trees. Please take a look a the full preview copy on line to see if you feel it is worth voting for ..."

I'm sorry to bring this up, but I have decided to take a very strict stance on any "mutual promotion campaigns", also called "author circle jerks" on GR. Mutual promotion is when a group of authors organize themselves to vote for each others books on Listopias in order to push them into the top ranks of the lists. Many of the lists I have created, including the ones put together for the Picture-Book Club, now have small print indicating that books pushed by author campaigns will be removed. Any individual can however vote once for a relevant book, as long as there are not other restrictions in place on the list, against e-books, SPAs, unusually short books, or other.

Please understand that when extra rules have been put in place around some of these lists, it is usually for a reason, i.e. because we do not want the wonderful recommendations from parents/librarians/readers to be drowned out by those with more specific interests. So, again please, take advantage of these lists for gathering ideas and sharing knowledge about remarkable books, but keep in mind that it may be upsetting for those who have invested in the lists if they are abused. Take this as a friendly reminder, only if it applies to you.

« previous 1