Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > Question #142: Favorite Writer

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by lisa, Questioner (new)

lisa (cravescoffee32) | 286 comments Mod
Hello!

Sorry for the delay in getting the question for this week posted. I was having password problems.

Anyway, this week, tell us about your favorite writer or writers. What is it about the writer's work that you love? Do you read everything by this writer or do you pick and choose among their books?

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Picking favorite children again...

Short list: Alice Hoffman. Her writing is like poetry. No one does magical realism like her. And I don't know why but it often feels like she's watching parts of my life over my shoulder. Everything.

Meljean Brook. What an original thinker! Totally in control of her world building. Everything. If she published a grocery list, I'd read it.

Frank L. Baum for the endless hours of my childhood spent in the shade we whiled away together. As many as the EGPL could come up with. My landlady during my internship had a well loved complete set. I told her to call me if she ever wanted to sell them. Thirty years, still waiting.

message 3: by Karen (last edited May 18, 2014 04:34PM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) A favorite writer is Chaim Potok. He didn't write that many books, but I have read every one of them, and he is the only author in which I have read his books multiple times.

A favorite contemporary writer is Brandon Sanderson. I have read 6 of his books and loved every one of them. Since Sanderson is a fantasy author, his world building is critical to me. Sanderson has broken the mold for fantasy authors.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Paige  Hamlin (rachelpaigehamlin) J.K. Rowling.
I've read the Harry Potter series eigt times. Each time. I read them, I discover something new. They are absolutly captivating and written so well, I feel not only like I'm there, but like I am the characters when I read them.
Books like that are rare, and you have to cling to them

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amanda_kay92) | 14 comments Gotta say I love Oscar Wilde, his writing is witty and intricate and each sentence as well as the over all plot lines are a joy. For a more young adult / child's perspective, I love Roald Daul, his books are slightly dark, sugary, surrealism and I love the books to this day.

message 6: by lisa, Questioner (new)

lisa (cravescoffee32) | 286 comments Mod
It's definitely hard for me to list one favorite author, but Raymond Chandler is a favorite when it comes to detective fiction, and Jim Butcher is my favorite urban fantasy writer.

Oscar Wilde is great too. And I just got Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for my kindle so I'm looking forward to reading Roald Dahl for the first time.

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments One of my favorite authors is Christopher Morley Christopher Morley Christopher Morley. he was originally from Philadelphia, wrote lots of books, both adult and children's, and was a fantatic about Sherlock Holmes. He is from the turn of the 20th century so some of his material is a little sentimental but not mushy.

message 8: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments Kathy, thanks for your info on Christopher Morley. I'm going to check him out.

Rose